Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693993
  • Total Topics: 118577
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Netflix rebel moon  (Read 5939 times)

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Netflix rebel moon
« on: January 21, 2024, 11:38:45 AM »
I’ve not seen a topic on here apologies if I missed it and feel free to delete this one 👍
Some interesting characters on it and I can see 40k influences in it .
What’s everyone else think ?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Netflix rebel moon
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 12:04:13 PM »
probably because its got influences hashed into it from pretty much everything else.
which is pretty much what 40k does.

from samurai moves/westerns/war movies and every other genre including sci fi - mean - end of movie add robot oooh 7 disparate samurai/warriors/cowthings/space-persons... hmm magnificent.

probably part 2 the main guy gets a glove so he can click/point finger at bad guys to make them dissolve - as you know - he gets beat in close quarters..

in fact makes me think of battle beyond the stars for this decade - big bad ship etc etc.

and its only part 1 just think how many ideas they can shove in the next part - assuming there will be 3 parts followed by tv series..

Beyond that yup, sat through it with popcorn and disengage brain happily enough - if I renew my netflix sometime this year and part 2 is on there, then yeah I am gonna  flick it on and tune out again. its a good enough crowd pleaser, its nothing special but it certainly helped with my insomnia that night.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 11:27:28 PM »
To say "influences" is being kind, totally derivative and predictable would be closer to the mark.

Characters are at best 2 dimensional, their history, motives and presence being explained by conveniently staged monologues rather than actually through the story or plotline. It comes across as a series of "key scene" bullet points duct taped together by badly written dialogue and screen titles. 
The strong female lead desperately needs someone to coach her in basic acting skills about facial expression and  emotion, as currently she has no grasp of either and actors who are much better than this (like Djimon Hounsou) seem to be dragged down to the same level so as not to show her up.

But that said, it still manages to be better than any movies released under the Star Wars brand for years.

Enjoy it for the  "cool it's almost 40K"  vibe and the CGI visuals (No spoilers but credit where due; the scene between Harmada and Nemesis is visually excellent), but don't expect a well presented or developed story.
Apparently (as with all Zack Snyder output) there is a Directors Cut version in the wings so maybe there is some characterisation in there yet to be shown.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 11:30:20 PM by robh »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 12:12:33 PM »
Yeah, it's very pretty, but ultimately flat, with no real depth to either the plot or the characters.

Another wasted opportunity, although still better than the last Indiana Jones effort, I had to turn that off it was so irritating. At least I managed to sit through this one.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 01:13:01 PM »
I'm with RobH. Watched the entire thing hoping it would get better. It didn't.

After all the hype, the phrase 'polishing turds' springs to mind. It's a complete waste of time, money, and opportunity.
I won't bother with Number 2 - I mean Part 2.

Given the recent rash of gawd-awful spectacles, I wonder if any of these director/writers have ever read/taken a course on the dynamics/mechanics of storytelling.   

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 01:46:38 PM »
I wouldn't bash it, but as said by others there is a certain lack of inspiration. The pictures were great though and it was entertaining, if you don't expect to use your brain too much to follow the story and dialogues.
No waste of time for me, yet not the most impressive thing to see.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 03:40:32 PM »
I watched it last night. I didn't hate it.

It reminded me of the sort of low rent sci-fi/fantasy flicks we'd get in the 80s that were chasing Star Wars dollars. Stuff like, Battle Beyond the Stars, Hawk the Slayer, or Ice Pirates. The difference is, Rebel Moon has a AAA budget, which causes a little hiccup in my enjoyment. Cheap, B-Movies have their charm where lack of budget usually results in some quirky characters or charming attempts at effects. This, with a full blown budget, didn't have any interesting characters and lots of pretty pictures. The former sticks with me, whereas the latter type of film is forgotten easily.

I'll watch Part 2, but I probably won't remember or think about it long afterwards.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:45:05 PM by Mr. White »

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 07:17:40 PM »
I haven’t seen Rebel Moon and don’t intend to. Nor would I if it had received the most glowing reviews and been garlanded with the most prestigious awards (as appears distinctly unlikely). The reason for this has nothing to do with its intrinsic merits or lack of same but because the cinematic bar has been set so impossibly high that the best written, best directed, best acted and most involving of science fiction epics created in its wake is already doomed to fail.  Clearly nothing can compare with the sheer majesty that is The Man Who Saved the World, aka ‘Turkish Star Wars’, and it is sheer folly to try.

Once one has seen - or rather, experienced - this matchless work of art, one’s perception of not only film, science fiction and philosophy but reality itself will never be the same.

For those who have yet to be inducted, the film can be seen in full on YouTube but I could not bear the responsibility for the unimaginable consequences to public health of posting the link here. For now this small sample must suffice:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww0k-80n-zI&pp=ygURdHVya2lzaCBzdGFyIHdhcnM%3D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 04:56:46 PM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 02:37:05 AM »
That is hilarious. No old campy Kung Fu movie can even reach half those depths. Truly that can never be matched.
2024: B: 2220; P: 154; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 10:40:57 AM »
absolutely terrible film, Battle Beyond The Stars had more character and depth.

Rebel Moon was just 40k doing Seven Samurai, with Harry Potter, Doctor Who, an excess of slow motion for the smallest thing and the sudden and inevitable betrayal that wasn't at all obvious from the outset.

Djimon Housmon was completely wasted, his broken drunken general story arc is apparently resolved with a shower.

How RobH is able to remember character names is beyond me, I don't know who Hamada or Nemesis are. And the Harry Potter blacksmith, he's a prince apparently... I got that from the cast list, because I don't remember it being mentioned at all, and his Dolittle powers serve no purpose for the rest of the film.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 11:20:46 AM »
To be fare I remember more about Battle Beyond the Stars than Rebel thingy, don't think it will change either. I stopped to think and cannot remember any rebel character names a week after watching it. well done RobH.

In fact now I mentioned it twice, am really tempted to go find  and watch Battle Beyond the stars instead. its been more than 30 years so I should really.

Turkish starwars looks really up there to, I would rather watch that then rebel thingy, unless as was the case, I was mainly trying to put myself to sleep (successfully eventually)

I suppose what it really comes down to is I would rather watch the movies it derives from than rebelthing.  lol

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 11:33:17 AM »

....How RobH is able to remember character names is beyond me.....

He isn't,  ;)
I didn't want to spoil what I think is the best scene in the whole movie by describing the unique features and fighting style of Hamada, so I too had to look at the cast list.

Nemesis I remember, either because she has a compelling and well developed character arc with strong dialogue and personality, or because she shares a name with an OOP Rackham game expansion. You decide  :?

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 08:25:56 PM »
I got as far as the scene ripped off from that unfortunate section in Mary Gentle's Grunts.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 09:13:51 AM »
I'm kind of amused that people watch a Zack Snyder film and expect anything other than a two hour video game cut scene.

Every film of his I've seen, no matter how much I wanted to like it, has been admittedly visually impressive but with awful acting, poor characterisation, bad writing and the most derivative of plots.
Even the ones with well respected source material (300, Watchmen) have ultimately been empty experiences akin to sitting and passively watching someone else play Fortnite.

You'd do it once, but you would feel cheated.

That's my tuppence worth anyway. I'll probably still end up watching Rebel Moon of only to see how bad it is and pinch modeling ideas.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 09:28:05 AM »
I enjoyed it for what it was. If it were a series instead of a movie it may work better as you expect the characters to slowly develop ove the course of the seasons, small back stories being shown each episode. I imagine that is what we'll see over the coming movies. Most of the extra characters were outrageous with their own special abilities which is what I think will be built upon in subsequent films. But would degjbtely have worked better as a series.
Great for a big of a brain break though as others have said.