Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2024, 10:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695641
  • Total Topics: 118702
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1738611 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6795 on: June 26, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
It was more a joke about the fact that everyone gets up in arms any time a miniature doesn't have two feet planted firmly on the floor.

They should just plonk a rock (or skull) under one foot like proper miniatures... lol

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #6796 on: June 27, 2017, 04:27:09 AM »
One thing I have found amusing is the criticism about how generic the models are.  It seem a 180 from the runing death by skulls (or any other bling accoutrements) the models are are usually festooned with.  I'm not sure if it speaks for a new trend in the models or is just a practical measure because the Primaris guys can be attached to any chapters and any pre-molded bits and bobs would diminish the universality.

I think they did the "rescaling" of Chaos better where there have been "big" chaos offerings at least since the thousand sons.  Throughout the period there hasn't been a, 41st millennium dollar man story;  It just happened incrementally and I liked it.  I like the new models because they are just begging to be chopped up and made into different stuff. 

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6797 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
One thing I feel is that over time, a lot of 40k stuff has evolved to become less 'distant future' in its look and more, 'near future'. In particular Space Marines, taking a lot of their style from real world militaries, especially special forces.

Whereas the styling of Rogue Trader and 2nd Edition drew inspiration from a wide variety of sources such as a mish mash of pop culture, the classics, biblical stories and history (particularly medieval) resulting in a fairly distinctive look for the 40k universe, The 40k of today feels like it draws a lot of its visual cues from computer games, other sci fi wargames and films and TV shows directly as opposed to being inspired by them, when in the past it seemed a lot was inspired by the Warhammer 40k universe.

A good example of this would be that the new Reivers although quite decent looking (posing issues aside) seem to be very reminiscent of Tom Clancy's 'Ghosts'. Yeah they look quite cool but they exist much more in the here and now of reality than the far flung future, and are perhaps the antithesis of the Mark VI Beaky Helmet.

Also I wish Games Workshop would stop painting EVERYTHING as Ultramarines. They've being doing it for over 15 years now I reckon.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6798 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
Also I wish Games Workshop would stop painting EVERYTHING as Ultramarines. They've being doing it for over 15 years now I reckon.

Ultramarines as the "default" is partly because the studio army has been Ultramarines since 2E, so about 25 years I reckon. And although in 3E the studio dabbled initially with Imperial Fists, they reverted back to Ultramarines soon enough, and then to a darker blue scheme when 4E launched.

At around the same time during 3E, the Black Legion became the default scheme for all Chaos models too.

It's quite clear that this was in line with GW's desire to make the "default" model schemes easily accessible for players who wanted to copy that paint scheme, and both are dark colours applied over a black spray undercoat with a metal trim.

Other models of that era also followed that trend, and the painting guides for most of their model ranges changed quite obviously in line with this new approach as well. WHFB6E for example had its army books filled with painting guides that were essentially variations of "black spray-basecoat-ink wash-drybrush" and emphasised getting big units done quickly.

Whilst the more recent trend towards brighter and more colourful models again is very welcome, I note that the trend towards these "default" colour schemes has remained.

I do see more examples of schemes and forces on the backs of the model boxes than I used to though, and likewise more photos of schemes and forces in the various publications; these are very welcome. For example, in 40k 6E/7E I started to see small themed studio armies pictured in their publications for Raven Guard, Salamanders, White Scars, and Iron Hands, all of which looked great.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6799 on: June 27, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
I really can't praise GW enough for their comunity interaction these past few months.Getting in fan illustrators that are loved by the fan base to help and work on the community website was a great idea, and it's refreshing to see gw drop the "skulls and grim seriousness 4evar" attitude towards it's IP once in a while.

Having said that, these illustrations sometimes really don't gel with the material they're depicting.Seeing an adorable space marine is jusy unnerving!  lol

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6800 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
I really can't praise GW enough for their comunity interaction these past few months.Getting in fan illustrators that are loved by the fan base to help and work on the community website was a great idea, and it's refreshing to see gw drop the "skulls and grim seriousness 4evar" attitude towards it's IP once in a while.

Having said that, these illustrations sometimes really don't gel with the material they're depicting.Seeing an adorable space marine is jusy unnerving!  lol

I hadn't seen this, you're write - they seem to be up for adoption!  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6801 on: June 27, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
Speaking of boring Ultramarine colour schemes, I'm curious when we'll see the first "new" Chapter of Primaris marines - at least from a GW aspect.  They stated in the Primaris fluff, etc. that entire new Chapters had been developed.  I'm waiting to see if GW adopts any of these as a new common chapter, or even at least releases some colour schemes/background to some new ones.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #6802 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:34 PM »
I take the point about them being more generic. The fact that they do not carry half a gothic cathedral about their person is definitely a plus, but there is still something ugly about them.

I have a small collection of the original MK 8 Errant armour marines from around 1992. They also look quite functional, but much more menacing and elegant than these.

I have done a zenithal prime on the lord of change model which shows up all the detail. It really is looking promising. I feel that the studio paintjob doesnt do the model justice. By focussing on making it "pop" all over, it is visually confusing. Obviously these people are first rate painters, but they are churning out these paintjobs according to some specifications which dont always fit the model. I am thinking of using rich darker tones over most of the model and only making the heads lighter tones. If i get decent results I´ll post pics somewhere.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6803 on: June 27, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »
I feel that the studio paintjob doesnt do the model justice. By focussing on making it "pop" all over, it is visually confusing. Obviously these people are first rate painters, but they are churning out these paintjobs according to some specifications which dont always fit the model

More then once I thought a GW model wasn't that great untill another painter actually slapped some decent colours on it.
They do have a tendency to pick the wrong colours a bit to often.
Then again sometimes they hit the mark quite well. It's a pretty mixd bag.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6804 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
Metal Bloodbowl teams up for sale now, only a few days left. Im tempted to get some sent to my brothers house in England for my parents, who are visiting him at the moment, to bring back for me.

Offline MYNKD

• Assistant
« Reply #6805 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
I really hope Games Workshop replaces the rest of the CSM kits with ones as high quality and same scale as the Death Guard some time soon. I see stuff like this and it really makes me think that GW have missed out on some real quality kit ideas (and they seem to struggle with non-aligned mutations that aren't just "turn into chaos spawn").

As an example, you could have a threesome with Abaddon and Fabius Bile if you really wanted to, that's how old they are.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:33:30 AM by MYNKD »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6806 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
As an example, you could have sex with Abaddon if you really wanted to, that's how old they are.

:o :o :o

lol lol lol

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6807 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
I really hope Games Workshop replaces the rest of the CSM kits with ones as high quality and same scale as the Death Guard some time soon. I see stuff like this and it really makes me think that GW have missed out on some real quality kit ideas (and they seem to struggle with non-aligned mutations that aren't just "turn into chaos spawn").

As an example, you could have a threesome with Abaddon and Fabius Bile if you really wanted to, that's how old they are.

Absolutely. Some of the kits are awfully old and creaky now. The Khorne Beserkers? After the Rubric marines and presumably a new Death guard box I hope at least to see new plastic Khorne Beserkers and Noise Marines, and a new CSM kit.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6808 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Quote from: MYNKD on Today at 12:01:37 PM
As an example, you could have sex with Abaddon if you really wanted to, that's how old they are.
 :o :o :o

lol lol lol

Giving completely new meanings to Biles Rod of torment and Abaddons Powerfist.  :o :-X :'(

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6809 on: June 28, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
Giving completely new meanings to Biles Rod of torment and Abaddons Powerfist.  :o :-X :'(
:o now that's an image I'm going to have trouble forgetting  lol