Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694139
  • Total Topics: 118582
  • Online Today: 509
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731428 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8010 on: February 16, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »

5 years ago.

"NEXT WEEK IS THE MIGHTY RELEASE OF THE AWESOME AWESHIP! BUY WHITE DWARF TO FIND OUT THE FIRST DETAILS!"

Now.

"Glub glub, Discuss."

Love it.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8011 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:19 AM »
I wouldn't rule out a return to Man O'War at some point in the future (with an AoS twist of course) if GW thinks it would sell but I don't think anyone should hold their breath. Dreadfleet not being Man O'War was one issue that game had. I didn't recall it being so long until the next boxed release but yeah, 4 years until Assassinorum Execution Force came along and that was a much safer, cheaper release (in production terms). I'm not sure we're going to see anymore stand alone boxed games now though. The piecemeal release schedules of Blood Bowl, Shadespire and Necromunda look to be the new model.

So, Man O War was the better game?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8012 on: February 17, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #8013 on: February 17, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »

Man O' War was/is a rather fun game, of course it suffered from the same rules heavy clunkyness that most GW games had from that period.

I always loved the fact you could have boarding actions between crew and end up taking over/scuttling ships rather than the endless circling and firing broadsides which tends to happen in most ship games.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8014 on: February 17, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Man O' War was/is a rather fun game, of course it suffered from the same rules heavy clunkyness that most GW games had from that period.

I always loved the fact you could have boarding actions between crew and end up taking over/scuttling ships rather than the endless circling and firing broadsides which tends to happen in most ship games.

You should give pirates of the spanish main a try, or any of the expansions .you can add different crews, board and command opponents ships (or scuttle your own to stop that happening!) explore islands , build or conquer on land fortifications or just pile broadside after broadside into your enemy.

The core rules are actually a very fun little naval game and if you use scenarios from other systems and ignore their own "get the gold" objective, it works as a wonderful , light, and FUN ruleset.
(plus you can still buy it INSANELY cheap on ebay.)

I was actually thinking of homebrewing a new version of Man o WAr using the base rules of Age of sigmar, No wi think I'll wait and see what GW are doing before I start hacking up systems.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8015 on: February 17, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »

No idea how the two compare. I own Dreadfleet but have done little more than look at the components as that appears to be the main aspect of this 'hobby' for me these days.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8016 on: February 17, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
No idea how the two compare. I own Dreadfleet but have done little more than look at the components as that appears to be the main aspect of this 'hobby' for me these days.

so ....wanna sell it? ;)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8017 on: February 17, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
so ....wanna sell it? ;)

Funnily enough I actually have two copies and yes I do want to sell one of them.  :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8018 on: February 17, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
Hey, is there anyone out there in the UK planning on buying anything from GW this week? I want to get Mad Donna but refuse to pay NZ GW prices ($24 as opposed to 7 pounds) I'd rather deal with someone I've had transactions with before (or who has been on here forever).
Thanks

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8019 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »
Hey, is there anyone out there in the UK planning on buying anything from GW this week? I want to get Mad Donna but refuse to pay NZ GW prices ($24 as opposed to 7 pounds) I'd rather deal with someone I've had transactions with before (or who has been on here forever).
Thanks

If you're on facebook join the group warhammer booty sharing . It's a group of people who help grab exclusives or limited items for each other without price inflation. So far it's all gone well and there have been no rip offs, and everyone is friendly.

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #8020 on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:33 PM »
Thanks

I'm the same.

$24 for Mad Donna, plus $20 to ship it over...  :'(

I want it as I have a mad long time urge to collect all the models released for the original Necromunda and Outlanders books but if there is anyway to get it cheaper somehow...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8021 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:45 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/18/shadow-queen-unveiled/ This just in: Morathi finally learns how to put a top on. More at 11.

The regular Morathi isn't...too bad, I guess? But dang, getting the other bit to games would be a pain...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8022 on: February 19, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
The big one is really well sculpted...the smaller one is a lot less so.  I agree with the transportation nightmare (a continuing theme with GW uber-models unfortunately).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8023 on: February 19, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
I think the smaller one would always suffer to stand up next to its other form.i like the look, an elegant beautiful seductress, almost the evil twin of the sylvaneth queen. But I think perhaps she'd be better without the gold wings.

I really can't fault the giant form, it's dynamic and full of movement and terror.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8024 on: February 19, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »
Blitz Bowl is a new way to play Blood Bowl. The teams are smaller, the games are faster but the action is just as intense, as each player seeks to distinguish themselves in the eyes of Nuffle*  in the infamous Crush recruitment rituals in fast-paced skirmish games.

Space Marine Adventures allows 1-4 players to join forces and attempt to break into a Necron labyrinth. Choose your hero and use each character’s unique skills to battle various deadly hazards, not least of which are the Necron guardians themselves. The easy-build nature of the kits and intuitive game make it suitable for players aged 8 and over – good for anything from family games nights to a quick adventure for a regular gaming club. While this set is a great introduction to the 41st Millennium, each Space Marine in the set is also a unique and dynamic sculpt, making them great additions to an existing collection, too.