Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694145
  • Total Topics: 118583
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731457 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2280 on: November 25, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
I think we all should take a step back, and consider several things.

1.  The miniatures in question are cast in quality "resin".
2. A web exclusive, no discount whatsoever offer is available.
3. It might fit in the xmas box, if you spend enough to get one.
4. It is not necessary to sell either of your own kidneys, if you still have two - other people have them to don't you know.

They don't need two of them either....

Still that silliness aside, they are down to 3 or 2 miniatures per box so they are almost there.. soon very soon, maybe within 12 to 18 months do you think the entire GW range will be exclusive plastic/resin/failcast 1 per box, at the limited edition price of 15 GBP per box?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:56:01 PM by Tactalvanic »

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #2281 on: November 26, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
It's heading that way.  You'll notice they haven't even bothered to put the two-kidney costing Thranduil on an Elk.  Battle of the five proxies here we come.

JDE
Exeter Legionary - 7th May 2022 - Exeter Matford Centre
Games, traders,  bigger bring and buy every year
http://legionaryshow.co.uk/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2282 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
Battle of the five proxies here we come.

Seriously......
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2283 on: November 26, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Seriously......

hmm I don't remember war-elks being particularly heavily featured in the original novels... Hobbit or any other.

Why they could not put him on a horse in the first place - movie nonsense.

Thranduil on an Elk.  Battle of the five proxies here we come.

JDE

Have to say if they did one, I still would not bother having a 5 army battle with him on it..

Would not want any of that Moosing about in the game.

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #2284 on: November 26, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Elves on War Elks may be an acquired taste, I'll admit.  But GW paid to acquire this taste, so why they're not actually producing what they've paid to be able to produce is anyone's guess.

JDE

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2285 on: November 27, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
Elves on War Elks may be an acquired taste, I'll admit.  But GW paid to acquire this taste, so why they're not actually producing what they've paid to be able to produce is anyone's guess.

JDE

Shhh, if you ask that, then they'll have to actually make a plastic smaug kit, and even they don't want to price that one up.....

(apparently they did make one but the studio rejected it because they had to scale him down and alter it a bit to make the kit anywhere near affordable/playable)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #2286 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:04 AM »

Still that silliness aside, they are down to 3 or 2 miniatures per box so they are almost there.. soon very soon, maybe within 12 to 18 months do you think the entire GW range will be exclusive plastic/resin/failcast 1 per box, at the limited edition price of 15 GBP per box?

Development from that point will be simple and surprisingly useful.

Sell single torsos (at the standard price)

Offer upper limb extra packs (at the standard price) with weapons.
Armored limbs are available separately

Offer lower limb extra packs (at the standard price) standing or running
Shod feet are available separately

Offer head pack (at the standard price) - bare headed, helmeted, whatever

You will be able to mix and match to create absolutely unique figures at only 60 quid per figure.

Bargain.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2287 on: November 27, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »
had another game of the mordheim. figured out how to call up a map which improved the experience 110%
Ohhh you tempter you ....

You will be able to mix and match to create absolutely unique figures at only 60 quid per figure.

Bargain.

Wow. That would certainly be a limited edition price  :o

Do you secretly work in their pricing department?

JDE

True. Maybe its because of the age old GW "metal/resin/plastic/failcast is very expensive" fantasy rule.

Or maybe Smaug ate them all ?

Shhh, if you ask that, then they'll have to actually make a plastic smaug kit, and even they don't want to price that one up.....

(apparently they did make one but the studio rejected it because they had to scale him down and alter it a bit to make the kit anywhere near affordable/playable)

I think starkadder has that covered, release in separate part packs. or installments - say a monthly Smaug magazine, or attach to one of the variant white dwarf mags, pump up the price accordingly (leave it up when they finish the dragon bits of course)

Collect all the issues to complete your Smaug dragon..

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2288 on: November 27, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
I liked the war elk. Gave the Wood Elves a sort of ... I don't know, capricious and sinister nature deities feel I guess, like a Cernunnos flavour.

Thingy.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2289 on: November 27, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »

I'd heard that rumour too... and helped to spread it a bit further  ;)

On the other hand, I believe Smaug had a late change from four legs to two in the film, which might have messed up the model GW had ready.

It's not the first time - there were miniature releases for figures like Bolg, who was cut from An Unexpected Journey at the last minute, and was completely different when he did appear in Desolation of Smaug.  Several toy companies were caught out.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:06:59 PM by Momotaro »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2290 on: November 28, 2014, 01:15:13 AM »
I'd heard that rumour too... and helped to spread it a bit further  ;)

On the other hand, I believe Smaug had a late change from four legs to two in the film, which might have messed up the model GW had ready.

It's not the first time - there were miniature releases for figures like Bolg, who was cut from An Unexpected Journey at the last minute, and was completely different when he did appear in Desolation of Smaug.  Several toy companies were caught out.

I think aswell that smaug is going to have to be more of a mechanic than an actual unit.representing him in game accurately would be impossible as he would be near immortal save for a black arrow wielding unit, which could only one shot.plus with his sheer size GW would basically have to just make his head, or have his different feet on separate bases and have him be a piece of terrain that attacks.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2291 on: November 28, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
I found this review of warhammer 40K: armageddon fairly useful to get an overview.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2292 on: November 28, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
I think aswell that smaug is going to have to be more of a mechanic than an actual unit.representing him in game accurately would be impossible as he would be near immortal save for a black arrow wielding unit, which could only one shot.plus with his sheer size GW would basically have to just make his head, or have his different feet on separate bases and have him be a piece of terrain that attacks.

Special Limited Edition Games WorkshopTM CitadelTM Interactive Poseable SmaugTM C New Line Cinema donut steel

This fantastic fully interactive and poseable Games WorkshopTM CitadelTM SmaugTM C New Line Cinema donut steel is perfect for games of The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Pad-OutsTM C New Line Cinema donut steel: burning lake towns, terrifying Tim from The OfficeNot TM C New Line Cinema feel free to steel, and generally making Professor Tolkien spin in his grave! Pawn your Granny's jewelry and SmaugTM C New Line Cinema donut steel will surely win all your battles for you!

Special Limited Edition Games WorkshopTM CitadelTM Interactive Poseable SmaugTM C New Line Cinema donut steel kit includes the following components:

One CitadelTM red sock
CitadelTM finefelt
CitadelTM googly eyes

All for the fantastic price of only £70 ($260 for Australia)!
(Kit requires assembly. Round-end safety scissors and pritt-stick not included.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:04:58 PM by Vermis »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2293 on: November 28, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
(Kit requires assembly. Round-end safety scissors and pritt-stick not included.)
You forgot a bit:

Available next week: Citadel Hobby Tools: Stickus AdhesivusTM Assembly Wand and Citadel Hobby Tools: Safety Tip Finefelt Carving Shears,  each only £10 ($60 for Australia)! Or buy both in a Limited Special Edition Set, containing both the Stickus AdhesivusTM Assembly Wand and Safety Tip Finefelt Carving Shears in a Collectors Edition cured HobbitTM scrote carry bag for only £25 ($178 for Australia)!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2294 on: November 28, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
Needs more skulls?