Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694047
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Initiates from the Sohei in Ronin  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Initiates from the Sohei in Ronin
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
Hi there,

yesterday at our club we played some Ronin games. I fielded Sohei with Initiates.
I know, that this forum is more about pictures and battle-reports ... but does anyone have found a use for the Sohei-Initiates in Ronin so far? I haven't.
I think these models quite cool, but not the profile, so I most likely will use them as other ranks. But Initiaties ... not.  :?

The Sohei are quite like the rulebook says a very capable faction, they can stand their ground against even an elite-Bushi list, they can field good high rank list as well as sort of mass lists. Even without options for sword4hire I think them quite strong.

I am asking this also because so far we have discovered so much depth in this game, sort of defying the "simple" rules.

Since a high-rank Bushi is sure a strong list, we are trying out low-rank Bushi, too. Love the Sohei and am experimenting with funny bandits at the moment. As said lots of exiting discoveries. VERY good mechanic with Ronin.

But Initiates? uh-uh ... nope
So, any ideas or hints, I have missed so far??   o_o

thanks in advance and best wishes
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Re: Initiates from the Sohei in Ronin
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
I haven't really tried them yet. I think a Armour is so important in Ronin that often its just worth the extra points to get someone with Armour compared to someone who isn't.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: Initiates from the Sohei in Ronin
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
Armour is important in Ronin, yes. But rank is able to trump armour, therefore mass trumps elite, if the mix is good enough.
Because mass may slow down few high-rank elite, you can pick the battles you want and go for not so high ranks with higher ranks. There is no pass in Ronin, so mass forces the elite to go first.

Sohei can bring a good mix, but the initiates are neither mass nor elite. I do not and not and not find a fighting role for them. To expensive for mass, and not good enough for even lower elite. I'd rather have two attendants for them.

And it is very clever to not give the sohei any peasants. Medium armour Rank 5 AND 4p profiles - killer kombo.

But initiates?? Maybe four or even six? But the shooter-versions from northstar ... no re-roll ... which is especially important for shooting, imho. So no real option either.

*sigh* ^^
DK