Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 02:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692345
  • Total Topics: 118453
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Play by Mail Wargames?  (Read 257 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Play by Mail Wargames?
« on: May 06, 2024, 07:32:55 PM »
I have a question ... well, a couple of questions really ... for the collective here.

Background to this is I've been asked by a friend to sell her father's wargaming models, because he has Huntingdon's, which is a progressive disease that leaves him very tired and shaky and he hasn't the energy to attend gaming nights with his mates any more. It's a shame to get rid of all the old models, but he's moving house, doesn't want the clutter and wants to offload it all because he can barely hold the models any more anyway.

I was wondering if there are any simple wargames, I'm thinking of something like a big chess board really, where two players could each have a board, identically set up, and play turn by turn from their own homes with precisely measured moves, either online, by phone or even perhaps by mail. Then if they get tired or have to do something else, they can pause proceedings and then carry on later from the same point in the game.

The next question is, if there isn't, does the hive mind think it would be a worthwhile endeavour to try to make something like that? I've never done anything remotely like it before, but I feel it's a shame that age and infirmity can prevent someone from enjoying their games. In my head, Peter Dennis' paper models would be ideal, mounted on card bases. They look pretty, but would be easy to pick up and move for someone who has limited dexterity and a dropped base won't cause any harm.

It seems worthwhile from a caring perspective, but would it be popular?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Play by Mail Wargames?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 08:50:36 PM »
Hi Cubs,

For rules there are these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Wargame-Bob-Cordery/dp/1326904582

Which fit the chessboard premise I think?

Good luck and you are being most thoughtful.

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 09:23:32 PM »
Certainly feasible,and applaudable.

I think if using the dice roller software on a VASSAL/Cyberboard pbem modules (which are not hard to make for something like this), then just about any set of rules with Igo/ugo turns can be done.  I have played DBA that way as well as big 18th century naval games on VASSAL or Cyberboard. IIRC there is still some online server for DBA but it has been years since i last visited it.

You can also use the online message server, ACTs, from Warhorse Sims for dice rolls and other message functions, and thus do away even with the vassal module.  I would think small skirmish games with minimal facing rules would be the easiest to handle.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 09:31:01 PM by Aethelflaeda was framed »
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline warwell

• Assistant
    • Warwell's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 10:07:40 PM »
My initial thought is the Command & Colors series.
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 11:05:40 PM »
Rather than the full set of Portable Wargames rules, I would head to the early site at http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~warden/portable_wargame/ and you will see chess boards used with downloadable rules.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:48:19 AM »
There is the old game Feudal. It plays like chess. Not that many pieces.
I believe that would work.