Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692620
  • Total Topics: 118476
  • Online Today: 660
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1709081 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4755 on: April 03, 2016, 06:49:18 AM »
That's always got me, you can buy a set of professional jewelers files/saws for far less than GW charge, same for brushes and as for sculpting? A kit of dentist tools is apparently the best thing out there.

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #4756 on: April 03, 2016, 06:52:56 AM »
That's always got me, you can buy a set of professional jewelers files/saws for far less than GW charge, same for brushes and as for sculpting? A kit of dentist tools is apparently the best thing out there.

This is probably exclusive to America, but I bought some good dental tools at a gun show at a fairly low price, from a guy who sells stuff for survivalists.  The dental pick has made panel lines and paint scraping a simple task.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4757 on: April 03, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
A kit of dentist tools is apparently the best thing out there.

I got my kit of dentist tools from...a dentist. Whenever I have to visit them, I ask for used tools that otherwise would be thrown away. Last time I got lucky.

That's right, kids, with true wargamer mentality even a dentist's appointment turns into a thrilling opportunity. lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4758 on: April 03, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
That's always got me, you can buy a set of professional jewelers files/saws for far less than GW charge.

As somebody in that profession my tools tend to cross the line from professional use to hobby and back quite a lot, sometimes multiple times a day. The old GW pin vice is far superior to anything sold at goldsmith suppliers around here, for instance. I'm sure I paid GW rates over a product from some other producer, but I don't regret the purchase.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4759 on: April 03, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
Fair play, the GW pin vice with the big round rubber grip is a lovely piece of kit.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4760 on: April 03, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
I got my kit of dentist tools from...a dentist. Whenever I have to visit them, I ask for used tools that otherwise would be thrown away. Last time I got lucky.

I've tried that (don't even need a visit; me sister's a dental nurse, training as a dental hygienist) but it was no-go. Too many 'elf 'n' safety regulations, even around tools that haven't been near anyone's mouth.

Which is no big loss, because dental-quality wax carvers are pretty cheap on ebay, and from certain dental suppliers. Dental quality, as opposed to the even cheaper 12-tools-for-pennies sets that are usually recommended to wargames hobbyists, which can have pretty rough or chunky edges.

The latter's what the current GW sculpting are like. I was interested to see one of the set looked like a zahle/wax #5, but checking them in-store, the edges are really thick and blunt. They look like 'safety' sculpting tools for kids, and I can only guess that's the reason. After a quick visit to the GW site, I see the hobby knife isn't available online, citing the risk of selling to minors, while the sculpting tool set is.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #4762 on: April 04, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
When I seen ,I first thought it was a box set of a squad,one figure  o_o lol

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4763 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
I shan't bother, you have them...all

plastic or finecastic?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4764 on: April 04, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
What a shame. I really like the figure, but 18GBP for a single plastic figure is not reasonable IMO. I can get a whole Dreadball team for that price :(
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #4765 on: April 04, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
Yeah but it does come with a 32 mm base  ;) :D

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #4766 on: April 04, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
Why do they price things like that? Do they expect people not to buy, so they charge high prices for a huge windfall?  Or are they expecting teenagers to whine and complain to their parents that they must spend $60 on the Genuine GW Products?  Or $25 for that special Space Marine with extra-wide base? 

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4767 on: April 04, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »
What a shame. I really like the figure, but 18GBP for a single plastic figure is not reasonable IMO. I can get a whole Dreadball team for that price :(

They will fix that soon don't worry. New teams will be sold as individual multipart kits, you will be able to make one of three possible players from each mulitpart kit, with infinite possible poses possible depending on which one of them you decide to make.

No doubt also the new rules will insist you  have 21 available for a full team so that you have substitutes available...

Web bundle coming soon...

Seriously  though yes, wow thats expensive limited edition model, but it will be even more expensive when they find more them to sell in a few years time...

Still a complete 32mm base included, is that limited edition  as well?

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4768 on: April 04, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
I still have at least half a box of the RTB1 plastic space marines, so I think I'll make my own.

That figure, in fact, looks quite similar to the original metal limited edition one they did, which I also have, so another reason not to buy.

As for the price - £18 seems to be what they've settled on for single figures at the moment. Wonder if we'll break £20 for a "regular" figure this year?

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4769 on: April 04, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
Considering you can get single perfect quality GW figures off the Chinese for $5 each, it's almost like GW is trying to breed recasters. lol