Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 07:39:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692634
  • Total Topics: 118476
  • Online Today: 660
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1709131 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5505 on: November 28, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
I use Krylon ultra-flat primers these days; the cost is around $8cdn.  When painting miniatures I used GW primers exclusively for years.  It was never about about the price.  At one point the formulation was the best I had worked with.  A few years back I repeatedly had issue with GW brand primers; fogging and furry buildups on projects.  The staff were good about replacing the bad cans but converted models were usually write offs.  Bad batches, new formulations; Whatever the cause I was paying a premium for reliability and quality I wasn't getting so I stopped using it.  They have been producing some pretty decent stuff of late so I can't understand why they are trying to sensationalize something so trivial.  Maybe their web tv team is on salary and they can't bear having them do nothing when they are on the clock.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5506 on: November 28, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »
I've become a fan of Badger Stynylrez primers. Rock-solid, and snugs down perfectly without filling detail, leaving a beautiful smooth satin surface. In terms of finish vs. durability, it's the best I've found.

It is on the expensive side though, and and doesn't have good (if any) brick-and-mortar distribution.

Also it's an airbrush primer, not rattlecan. Though IMO I'd really recommend making the switch from rattlecans to airbrush to anyone anyway. Much better control, much better finish quality, much better versatility both in terms of what you can do and what paints you can spray, and probably cheaper in the long run.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #5507 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »
I used to use colourworks primer. It was perfect. But now i cant sem to get it anywhere. I might give the GW spray a go.

I am starting to warm to GW again. I ended my boycott to buy some of the new genestealer acolytes and I dont regret it. Loads of spare arms and heads.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5508 on: November 29, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
I never actually went full on boycott.  I, "diversified my miniature portfolio"  :P .  I'd rather save my GDub money for their models.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5509 on: November 30, 2016, 02:30:08 AM »
I use airbrush Vallejo primers exclusively.  Love them. Can use the anytime, custom colours mean base is what I want, and I mix formulas to to get what I want.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5510 on: December 06, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »
Uh! recently I got excited about the reappearance of 'Old' Chaos champions on Games Workshops website. However it doesn't state what they are made of....call to Gw...uh! Finecast...

I wasn't convinced the person knew what I was on about, so if anyone knows different, let me know...

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5511 on: December 06, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »
Uh! recently I got excited about the reappearance of 'Old' Chaos champions on Games Workshops website. However it doesn't state what they are made of....call to Gw...uh! Finecast...

I wasn't convinced the person knew what I was on about, so if anyone knows different, let me know...

Yeah, I made that mistake and ordered them. Strangely, a couple of them are now in two parts even though the original metals were single parts. Also, they're covered in casting channels, not just vents but channels from one part of the figure to any raised detail. So much prep involved. I'd rather spend the time fixing up a crappy old metal casting. Same deal with the Jes Goodwin familiars, though at least their listing states the material.

But to GWs credit, as usual their customer service was quick and helpful and I returned the items freepost and got a refund.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5512 on: December 06, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »
Uh! What is more annoying, is that I think that you could buy metal ones in reissued form, from the website, only a few years ago!

Okay, back to trying to find chaos warriors on ebay that aren't crazy money, and don't have lead rot then...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5513 on: December 06, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
Uh! What is more annoying, is that I think that you could buy metal ones in reissued form, from the website, only a few years ago!

Okay, back to trying to find chaos warriors on ebay that aren't crazy money, and don't have lead rot then...

Not sure if you're married to GW figures or not, but there was a recent kickstarter project that produced old skool chaos warriors. May be worth contacting them to see if they're commercially available yet (although the latest project update suggests they're just about ready to ship to backers, so may be a bit early)

Miniatures were cast in metal and resin, with backer choice as to which they wanted. I talked myself out of backing the campaign, but it was a close run thing ;D

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5514 on: December 06, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »

I don't think lead rot will be an issue, but some of the castings are bloody awful. Be prepared for a lot of work!

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5515 on: December 06, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »
Not sure if you're married to GW figures or not, but there was a recent kickstarter project that produced old skool chaos warriors. May be worth contacting them to see if they're commercially available yet

Pantheon of Chaos? Yes I thought about backing it...I didn't want all the miniatures though to be honest, they are pretty faithful to the Oldhammer vibe, but overall I prefer the GW ones from the late 80s. I don't mind proxies, I have some of the ex-grenadier ones that I shall use alongside. I'm surprised there aren't more proxies out there to be honest...

I would probably buy some of the PoC ones if they became available commercially, but id want to pick and choose...

I don't think lead rot will be an issue, but some of the castings are bloody awful. Be prepared for a lot of work!

I have seen at least one on evilbay that has what looks like lead rot. Awful castings? its okay ive worked on Perry metals before, so I should be okay! I think it is your chaos warband that made me say, 'Id like to paint some chaos warriors'...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:42:02 PM by westwaller »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5516 on: December 06, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
I used to use colourworks primer. It was perfect.

Surely you can't mean this brand:

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5517 on: December 06, 2016, 07:30:10 PM »

Based on the famous Blanche artwork. Soon to be released! I like her!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5518 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
Behold, post-Brexit Theresa May! Feast your eyes on her skull bewbs!

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #5519 on: December 07, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »
Yes. But not colourspray. The one i had was called "Primer/Aplet". I have tried many brands
Surely you can't mean this brand:

, and that was the one that gave me best results.