Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1709446 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3180 on: July 02, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
I don't see how it is aimed at anybody other than GW bean counters.

Well, their former CEO did at one point say that the "games workshop hobby" consists of buying their models.   ::)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3181 on: July 02, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Well, their former CEO did at one point say that the "games workshop hobby" consists of buying their models.   ::)

And i expect this game system has been deliberately made super simple so that people who only buy the mini's they like can, if they feel like it, still play something with them, and those who buy to play will still play either way.
It feels sort of like the "games" you get in blind bag kids toys, where really the kid only wants the figure ,but the people making it feel the need to justify the toy with a piece of tissue with some rules on it, some sort of card, and a marble or something.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3182 on: July 02, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
What sane Warmachine player would abandon his game for Age of Sigmar?

It's got nothing to do with Warmachine, or any other currently popular skirmish game for that matter, other than round bases. Which are considered to not exist by the rules!  :o

At its core, AoS is a very simplified version of 8th, with glaring holes you could run a land raider through, and with no army building rules or points system in place. Simply take what you will and fill out your half of the table with any miniatures in your collection.

I don't see how it is aimed at anybody other than GW bean counters.

I believe Warmachine uses the same sort of basic rules and unit card system. 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #3183 on: July 02, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
The buy a new unit released this week with its special warscroll, which will beat the new release last week with its warscroll, sound to me like a miniatures version of the excallation in purchasing new (and rare) cards for Magic the Gathering, with little kiddies repeatedly buying new stuff in order to beat their 'friends' in a game. And no doubt with some units on 'limited' release to put even greater pressure on the easily led.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #3184 on: July 02, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
Ok one thing that strikes me most is that if they released a new boxed unit with a Warscroll then you have to buy the GW minis to get the Scroll rather then saying going a cheaper 3rd party (Mantic for example) for the models to use as the unit.

Those who play the GW rulesets but tend to use 3rd Parties for whatever reason (Budget, dislike of the figures) providing they don't sell the Warpscrolls separate and you stay legal and not use a scanned PDF then it could put a few people off expanding there collections for AoS or any other WhFB further down the line.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3185 on: July 02, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »
Those who play the GW rulesets but tend to use 3rd Parties for whatever reason (Budget, dislike of the figures) providing they don't sell the Warpscrolls separate and you stay legal and not use a scanned PDF then it could put a few people off expanding there collections for AoS or any other WhFB further down the line.

Bingo.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3186 on: July 02, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3187 on: July 02, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »
The buy a new unit released this week with its special warscroll, which will beat the new release last week with its warscroll, sound to me like a miniatures version of the excallation in purchasing new (and rare) cards for Magic the Gathering

Heck, sounds like business as usual for GW itself, only speeded up a bit.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #3188 on: July 02, 2015, 08:40:57 PM »
I never got around to actually playing Warhammer (despite many attempts), of any edition, but I suspect like many here, it was Warhammer that introduced me to our hobby (although GW nowadays seem to think they have copyright on the 'Hobby'). The Old World was one of my first encounters with a fantasy world, and I've always kept up with the lore. I know it's not really gone whilst we've all still got our books and so on, but I'll miss it all the same.

NEVER GO FULL RETARD!

Having just caught up on the 'Age of Sigmar' latest (haven't read the rules, yet. I probably won't), especially seeing the various Space Marine Chapters/Stormhosts that we 'will, of course, enjoy creating', I'm inclined to agree. I'm going to laugh at anyone who tries convince me that this new faction aren't simply Space Marines sans bolters.

The buy a new unit released this week with its special warscroll, which will beat the new release last week with its warscroll, sound to me like a miniatures version of the excallation in purchasing new (and rare) cards for Magic the Gathering, with little kiddies repeatedly buying new stuff in order to beat their 'friends' in a game. And no doubt with some units on 'limited' release to put even greater pressure on the easily led.

They've practically been doing that with 40k for some time now, and it put me off playing for good in the last year. It's sad to see Warhammer/Age of Sigmar go the same way, but they obviously feel they're onto a winner with it.

I wish them luck, with it though. I stopped hating GW a long time ago. Now, I just despair.  :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3189 on: July 02, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
The terrain looks cool (in a GW kind of way) and there seem to be 2 new RoB tiles comng out, no skulls, just ruined buildings and cracked ground. I have to say , seeing as i'm gonna be knocking up a round based fantasy warband for frostgrave, I might give age of sigmar a proper try.My main issue with fantasy gaming was always that it was rank and file,so maybe i'm not alone and gw is targeting people like me.

Christ, am i the core demographic?!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3190 on: July 03, 2015, 01:25:44 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but JESUS CHRIST!

Forget fantasy, welcome to every single true scale marine conversion for the next 5 years!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3191 on: July 03, 2015, 01:28:10 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but JESUS CHRIST!

Forget fantasy, welcome to every single true scale marine conversion for the next 5 years!

Woah, just...woah. If they weren't offering the warscrolls for existing models for free, I'd just drop a nope bomb and be done with it! That's just...there's a word for it, it just isn't coming to me.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3192 on: July 03, 2015, 02:52:22 AM »
Wow cool golem figure.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3193 on: July 03, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »
Part of me likes that. Not all of me but in a different way I kind of like it. Shoot me now!  ;D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3194 on: July 03, 2015, 05:47:17 AM »
I like it as a troll or golem, perhaps with a head swap. There may be uses for these things.

The question is, is it worth paying GW prices for them  ::) lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.