Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 04:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694433
  • Total Topics: 118606
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting  (Read 10410 times)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
I absolutely LOVE your technique and color pallet! Masterful brushwork! Gorgeous figures!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 08:43:52 PM »
Is that the Sneddon book? I've not read that one.

Edit: I've pm'd you

Yep! One of Sneddon's. I've returned your PM.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 08:24:03 PM by Irregular Wars Nic »

• Mad Scientist
I absolutely LOVE your technique and color pallet! Masterful brushwork! Gorgeous figures!

Thank you! Although I think you may be overdoing the kind words just a little!  ;D

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 08:22:58 PM »

The latest models painted for Devilry Afoot are two 28mm werewolves from Northstar Miniatures. The shine picked up by the camera really shows the necessity of a good matt varnish before trying to take nice photos.

Werewolves are originally humans, usually societal outcasts or farmers with isolated small holdings far from the light of other god-fearing mean. Seeking a means to protect themselves and the little they own, they have made compacts with the Devil who has bestowed upon them a gift – usually an ointment of a cursed piece of clothing – that allows them to assume the bestial form of a savage wolf-man. However, some unfortunates made no such deal, but have instead been wolf-bitten, cursed with lycanthropy and the uncontrollable urge to hunt when the moon is high.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2024, 08:51:35 PM »

My latest monster hunter to be painted up is this lovely 28mm plague doctor 3D sculptedby Crosslances. He will certainly find service as a 'scholar'. In Devilry Afoot, scholars are one of the available archetypes from which to build your characters. Scholars may be drawn from the gentry, or be particularly gifted scions of more common families. Devoting their lives to the pursuit of knowledge in many different sciences, they are often more adept with a scalpel or quill and ink, than with swords or guns.

As the sculpt holds a lantern - a very functional peice of equipment in the darkness of Devilry Afoot, I wanted to try object source lighting (OSL) for the first time. This technique is supposed to represent the light coming from a source on the model itself - in this case the lantern. I'm not entirely happy with the outcome - I suspect I rather over did the OSL, but it certainly makes for an interesting painting approach!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 07:34:53 PM »
Lovely work! The OSL looks great.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 07:45:49 PM »
Lovely work on those  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2024, 06:30:16 AM »
Wot they just said! Superb job.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2024, 04:13:45 PM »
Lovely work! The OSL looks great.
Yep!😎

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2024, 09:07:12 PM »
Thanks folks! No painting this week as hobby time is being spent proofing the rules!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2024, 10:55:21 PM »
Your rules sound exactly what I am looking for! I am currently working on my own collection of Bloody Miniatures with an eye to a scenario involving otherworldly creatures (may include undead...) in a town ravaged by the civil war.

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 10:13:10 AM »
Any info on the number of figures required, playing area etc?
I am assuming you have seen "A Field in England" because I am getting that vibe here?
Keep posting

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 10:33:21 AM »
WOW! The painting is fantastic! Thanks for sharing  :-*

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2024, 08:00:04 PM »
Your rules sound exactly what I am looking for! I am currently working on my own collection of Bloody Miniatures with an eye to a scenario involving otherworldly creatures (may include undead...) in a town ravaged by the civil war.

That sounds about right!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2024, 08:03:02 PM »
Any info on the number of figures required, playing area etc?
I am assuming you have seen "A Field in England" because I am getting that vibe here?
Keep posting

I've never heard of A Field in England, but having just looked it up, it's certainly heading in the same direction.

From the working draft:

Playing equipment, models and measurements
Devilry Afoot is a table-top skirmish game. That means it is played out using miniatures on a table-top or other playing surface. To play the game you will need somewhere between two and ten models to represent hunters, up to six or eight innocent civilians, and a variety of different monsters.
The rules have been written with 28mm miniatures in mind but, at their heart, are easily adaptable to smaller or larger scales. For games using 28mm models, all measurements are given in inches (feel free to convert 1” to 25mm if you’d prefer). If using smaller models, we suggest using centimetres rather than inches; at a larger scale, you can use the rules as written or choose to proportionally increase all measurements.

Miniatures should be based singly, but otherwise there are no fixed basing conventions. We have based our miniatures on 30mm round bases. Players are urged to be reasonable, but otherwise to do whatever looks good.

For 28mm models you will also need a stable playing surface 24” square – amend as necessary for different scales – and a variety of terrain suitable for an early modern setting in western Europe or the American colonies. Given the relatively small model count required to play Devilry Afoot, players are encouraged to spend some time developing their terrain.

It is handy if each player has access to two ten-sided dice. You will need a number of activation tokens of uniform size and shape, but with distinguishing visual features (i.e. different colours) to allow for a randomised activation sequences throughout the game. It is also useful to have a small variety of other markers to help distinguish in-game events: smoke to show when black-powder weapons are fired and need to be reloaded, a way to show if a model is charmed, is sneaking or has transfigured, and a way of tracking the number of wounds sustained by monsters.