Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport  (Read 3516 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2024, 09:25:38 AM »
Nice!  8)

What program is that? It looks way more complicated than the TinkerCad I'm using for this build...

From the first screenshot, it's freecad - https://www.freecad.org/

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:34 PM »
With all the printing and the connection points in the base modules, this is now giving me serious Playmobil vibes :)

Which is a good thing, mind.

The small door is really awesome; a great find, that picture, and kudo's on replicating it so closely. It's almost as if they took a door out of a ship and rammed it into a concrete slab...

Looking at it more closely, it's actually two doors in one, in the picture  ???

Will yours look as delapidated as the door in the photo?

Thanks. I didn't screenshot it, but I brought the picture into Inkscape and traced over top it to get rough dimensions. And I would love to do the door in door option, but my build won't allow it this time.

As for painting, yes, it will be plenty beat up and rusty, not got there yet - need to weather the cement walls first.

From the first screenshot, it's freecad - https://www.freecad.org/

Yes, FreeCAD. You can what you do in tinker cad with the Part toolbox - it has basic primitives like squares, etc. But the nice thing is it is a full CAD program, so you can sketch, etc like I'm doing.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2024, 05:12:18 AM »
I haven't been posting here, but I've been hard at work at a few different parts over the past few days.

First up, some cargo containers. Any port needs containers, so I started with a simple design but I didn't like that, so ended up doing something a bit more complex. And of course, that failed twice when I tried to print it. Cleaned out my print head and retried and ended up with one very nice print.

I then started playing with a design for a large satellite dish I may end up finishing before Wednesday, we'll see.

Lastly, something I actually need to finish- the walkway on the inside. I tried one design and this ended up being nuts - these square cuts were going to make the print time nuts and likely a headache to keep stuck to the print bed (this is 6" long in each long direction).

So I decided to pivot & 3D print a base, but then glue on some window screen on top. A few hours of design later, I have this. Selecting all those invididual fillet edges was a bit of a headache.

Will print tomorrow and design+base the supports, as well get some photos of the prints in the daylight.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2024, 06:44:12 AM »
I like the cargo cube and the walkway...looks complicated to do. Good luck with the print.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2024, 05:57:08 PM »
As promised, the print of the 1st test (left) and then the final version (right) of my container print. They are based on 1.5" (38.1mm) cube. These are both printed at 0.2mm layer height, will likely do a bunch at 0.1mm for the quality

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2024, 06:56:33 PM »
And 1st print of the walkway is done. It needs to be a bit thicker, so will reprint, but overall happy with the design.

Figure in all of these is a Northstar Mercenaries figure

First, the walkway from above.

Through the big door - showing the height under the walkway. There will be supports under here:

Lastly, from outside, showing how the walkway interacts with the windows. I wish I could say I planned this, but I really didn't. It is pure accident it works so perfectly. Also shows how the 3" tall sections on the back will interact with the rest of the board - I need to create some risers to lift up my existing tiles

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2024, 07:04:07 PM »
Looking good on all fronts sir. I hadn't really twigged how big the build was until you popped that chap alongside...it's huge!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2024, 07:17:27 PM »
Looking good on all fronts sir. I hadn't really twigged how big the build was until you popped that chap alongside...it's huge!

Ya, the base is a 9"x9" square base - why the base is 3D printed in 4 pieces

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2024, 08:16:08 PM »
I love all the printed details; they look perfect.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2024, 11:01:01 PM »
Wow, this is really shaping up nicely.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2024, 07:22:01 PM »
First of a couple of updates today as I race to finish before the midnight deadline.

I reprinted the walkway and glued on the mesh (old screen door material). Plus I designed some ladders and printed them

And then I finished the design for the small door but it utterly failed to print upright

What have I got to finish today? Quite a lot. Here's the big stuff:
- Cut the roof out of foam
- Design & print the bits for the roof that fit below and above
- Print the supports for the walkway
- Finish the windows

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2024, 03:59:19 AM »
Ok, 2nd to last update. It is now just before 8pm my time, so a few hours left.

I decided to do the roof tomorrow and I'll paint it alongside my entry but it won't be in the pictures as I won't have finished it in time.

I reprinted the small door horizontally and it mostly worked, enough to use for the building. I used a piece of styrene as the hinge and glued the two ends in

Then I glued the hangers onto the wall for the large door. I ended up leaving a fairly large gap (5mm) at the bottom as I wanted to clear even the thickest existing tiles I have (which are about 3-4mm)

Then I got to creating some windows - I decided to do some with broken glass and some without, as this building is supposed to be active and undergoing renovations. The white is 020 styrene that I textured with a metal brush. I've seen Night Shift on Youtube do something similar, so will try and follow their plans. You'll note that the windows are two pieces - I printed two different thicknesses to test and ended up keeping the thinner ones for this - I'll glue them in so it looks like we have full window frame without having to cut and glue each window.

Lastly I started working on damaging the foam with a pin vice, sandpaper and a hobby knife. Not sure if I want to go heavier than this - my tower for build something small was pretty heavily ruined. I will do some rebar poking through, not got to that part yet.

I still have the floor in the building to do, print a few more pieces for the final door and the walkway supports. Getting there...

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2024, 07:18:33 AM »
And construction is done! At 2317 PDT. 43 minutes to spare. Geez, should have started the roof!

And like others, going to take tomorrow and Thursday off, start painting on Friday.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2024, 10:02:51 AM »
Talk about in the nick of time...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2024, 12:53:00 PM »
It looksvery promising; very curious tothe painted version!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)