Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694036
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730450 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3735 on: September 17, 2015, 01:11:14 AM »
They seem to be just churning out all the sigmarines and no other AoS units which is a bit frustrating. I can understand it though seeing as space marines are the biggest seller wanting to get a fantasy biggest seller too. Just want to see some different stuff.
See, I don't really get this myself.

Space Marines sell well because they get more models, more support, and better rules than all the other races. Always have too. So that's why they sell so well compared to everything else, and... Well, they just go round and round from there. Even though I love the HH setting, I am at this point thoroughly fed up of the amount of Marines in 40k and the fact that the game rules have been clearly based around them for a very long time.

This is also a big reason I am so disappointed in AoS; WHFB didn't really have the level of disparity across armies that 40k has, but now it will.  :?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3736 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:59 AM »
AoS killed any residual interest I may have had in GW. Even the nostalgia died when they killed Warhammer. I have no idea what they were thinking, or how it's really doing, but I don't even look at fantasy or sic-fi stuff anymore.

Awful.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3737 on: September 17, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
I just bought the 1st Edition rulebooks. I'm going OLD-school.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3738 on: September 17, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
Apparently the big american warhammer tournament runners (texas something or other?) have said they are dropping warhammer and switching to kings of war , so the biggest tournement scene in america has just jumped ship.

They didn't have a choice really. Warhammer Age of Sigmer, by definition and design, is now a non-tournament game.

As for the minis, it appears that the new Warhammer faction (Stormcast Eternals) initial release is complete. The next releases will finish of the Khorne Bloodbound. Where they go from there, no idea.

Regarding posting of pictures of minis and commentary on forums my personal opinion is "why bother" when all that does is invites butt heads to trash the threads.

So yea, it is difficult to know where things stand.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3739 on: September 17, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
I just bought the 1st Edition rulebooks. I'm going OLD-school.

Old school? that's ancient school haha :P

They didn't have a choice really. Warhammer Age of Sigmer, by definition and design, is now a non-tournament game.

See this is why I think that age of sigmar should have been a new stand alone game and not a replacement, that way they could have been making twice as much money, which they would have liked haha  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3740 on: September 17, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
See this is why I think that age of sigmar should have been a new stand alone game and not a replacement, that way they could have been making twice as much money, which they would have liked haha

Problem is you have a game which folks were fleeing from and which personally I never found attractive. Huge armies ... just don't make it much anymore and huge fantasy armies never interested me in the first place.

AoS is a scenario based skirmish game. It is totally different animal than WFB. You don't need 200 models to play this game and have fun. You need... well... warbands of say 20 to 30 models, if you will and plenty of terrain.

Most of the WFB folks don't seem to "get it" and want to force a square peg in a round hole and when they are unable to do so (almost immediately) go psycho and burn their unpainted armies.

So there is a clear divide here between folks in which you have some very destructive personalities who just can't bear to even "try" to look beyond WFB and those who actually like the new system.

If you go to most forums you will see that either the folks who like AoS have just given up trying to be normal posters of a game they like and others such as at Warseer where you have all the haters piling into one thread after another and those who are early adapters apparently having fun with the new system.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412393-Age-of-Sigmar-friendly-active-thread-Fans-only-please!

I would say that the LAF is one of those forums where folks just can't be bothered. In fact I would say, that those who like AoS have probably completely abandoned the forums and concentrate on painting their armies and having fun games with their mates. That is the direction I'm headed in.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #3741 on: September 17, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
I think for me, and many others on LAF, GW just doesn't produce content in a style that fits my taste anymore, and even if they did, they've priced themselves out of my budget. I haven't seen a ton of the vitriol against GW here that you speak of, more disinterest and a quick laugh at the latest goings on. If people like AoS and post their work here, more power to them (I have no interest in the game or figures but your Stormcast painting thread I've enjoyed, for example  :) ). If I see anyone using a thread like that as a soapbox to "take a moral stand" then I would be sure to poke fun at them and tell them to cut it out. :P

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3742 on: September 17, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
@ Ray:

I think it's unfair to label a lack of interest about AOS on LAF as "not being bothered" or to claim that people who were interested "have left the forum to have fun elsewhere" - plenty of people have tried the game, watched many instances of the game being played, and tried to discuss what it does/doesn't offer. If they still don't find it engaging... Well, what more can you really ask of customers?

If you like and enjoy AOS, why does there need to be a multitudinous clamour of approval of the game from denizens here at LAF for you to want to post about it? Just post anyway!

Personally, I have made my thoughts on AoS clear on more than enough occasions now - however, I still enjoy seeing your efforts in your thread, and I like that you are enjoying it and want to share your progress with others. I would therefore be saddened to see you stop posting here.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3743 on: September 17, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
Problem is you have a game which folks were fleeing from and which personally I never found attractive. Huge armies ... just don't make it much anymore and huge fantasy armies never interested me in the first place.

AoS is a scenario based skirmish game. It is totally different animal than WFB. You don't need 200 models to play this game and have fun. You need... well... warbands of say 20 to 30 models, if you will and plenty of terrain.

Most of the WFB folks don't seem to "get it" and want to force a square peg in a round hole and when they are unable to do so (almost immediately) go psycho and burn their unpainted armies.

So there is a clear divide here between folks in which you have some very destructive personalities who just can't bear to even "try" to look beyond WFB and those who actually like the new system.

If you go to most forums you will see that either the folks who like AoS have just given up trying to be normal posters of a game they like and others such as at Warseer where you have all the haters piling into one thread after another and those who are early adapters apparently having fun with the new system.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412393-Age-of-Sigmar-friendly-active-thread-Fans-only-please!

I would say that the LAF is one of those forums where folks just can't be bothered. In fact I would say, that those who like AoS have probably completely abandoned the forums and concentrate on painting their armies and having fun games with their mates. That is the direction I'm headed in.

Ahhh I have no quarms with the game, but games workshop's old skirmish based game Mordheim, I have played for years, I may as well stick to it because I know players for that (plus Im more of model maker and painter not a gamer)
I also encourage people to post about it (like your painting thread too) Just because I dont like some of the models, it doesnt mean to say I think that no one should like it or post about it, quite the opposite, thats why Ive posted positive comments on your thread.

As for my old fantasy army, it was never intended to be a regularly used article, just one that I wanted to model and paint, this change will by no means spur me to sell it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3744 on: September 17, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
AoS just seems like one part of army at this point. All we see are endless marching clones stormtroopers space marines sigmarite ubermensches.

I mean, that's cool if you've long hoped for parts to make truescale space marines with, but that's about it.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3745 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
The new Tau Battlesuit is showing for pre-order on Forge World

I don't see a height, but it's on a 160mm diameter base, so it's a big beast. Mind you, for £250 :o it ought to be

It's a bit too anime (and generally freaking huge) for my tastes/uses. I do like the Tau, and would much prefer it if they filled out the infantry sized range rather than making action man sized figures :-[

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3746 on: September 18, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »
While its also a bit over the top for me I do feel tau have always been anime inspired. (some say to push into the Asian market) and having a huge freaking robot with guns for arms does fit that style, so they are filling what you could consider a void in tau theme.

Also there are other huge suits on the horizon as well, leaked pages of warhammer vision for November show a walking missile launcher about the same size as that one. No arms, just tons of missiles and a huge shoulder cannon.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3747 on: September 18, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »
It's a bit too anime (and generally freaking huge) for my tastes/uses.

While its also a bit over the top for me I do feel tau have always been anime inspired. (some say to push into the Asian market)

Absolutely. No doubt in my mind that the Tau were deliberately made anime-like to appeal to a different market segment that the grimdark/gothic stuff does.

It was no surprised to learn that a gaming buddy of mine who has always had an affinity for the nipponese styled stuff (Mishima in Warzone, Legend of the Five Rings, etc), many years ago, now, sold off his Ultramarines and later bought into Tau big time.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3748 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
I think they did a nice job on the Tau.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #3749 on: September 18, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
I think they did a nice job on the Tau.

Definitely, I plan on going back and repainting/updating the Tau I painted as a 12 year old when they first came out so I can use them for Tomorrow's War.