Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 07:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694757
  • Total Topics: 118631
  • Online Today: 485
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734983 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7455 on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »
Good grief, it's big - the turret looks Predator-sized.
Nice design which balances the old look - it's a bit Land Raidery up front - with something new.
Something old, something new, something blue (at least the UM one in the video) - did someone mention weddings?

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #7456 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
It's big and likely expensive.  I think the real issue for me is I doubt I'm well heeled enough for that kind of party.  If money were no object I could see building it without that giant turret and using it as a drop ship for any number of sci fi games.  I like that it isn't festooned with "iconography".  Not bad.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7457 on: October 13, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »
I like the way it looks, but definitely won't be getting it.  It'd be cool for the once a year giant mega game type thing that some people do at a con or whatever.

The current most expensive space marine item forge world sells is the Sokar pattern Stormbird at £750.  The Thunderhawk is £450.  I don't know their sizes well enough to know which is more analagous to this tank, but I could easily see it being around the Thunderhawk's price.

Probably closer to thunderhawk than stormbird prices. The stormbird is HUGE. it's what the US president would describe as "bigly". I can see this clocking in around 400,but it looks a little shorter than the thunderhawk. Probably equivalent in resin when you swap out wings for turrets etc.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7458 on: October 13, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »
...forge world sells ... the Sokar pattern Stormbird...

How in the Emperor's Stool Sample's name is that a Stormbird? :o :-[

I once started the process of building a Stormbird of my own. I gathered all descriptions of the craft in the Horus Heresy books, and got a pretty clear picture of how it should look (still open to a lot of interpretations though).

This here is basically a scaled up Thunderhawk, and not at all in line with how it was described. The descriptions go on about how streamlined and sleek it is. With variable geometry wings, room for 50 marines and one or two Rhino's, on two flightdecks.

It was built with tech predating the Crusade; much more expensive, advanced and graceful than the more prosaic and practical later stuff.

So no flying bricks, but actual large planelike craft.

My effort was based on a Thunderbird2 toy, married to a 1/48 F-14's swing wings and tail surfaces. And it would actually be big enough to carry the described payload. The hangup was getting the swing wing mechanism small enough to not interfere with the functional interior.

One of these days I should pick it up and finish it (it has been languishing for almost a decade). My Imperial Fists would be grateful to finally receive their ticket off of this dirtball... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7459 on: October 13, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
Has anybody noticed.....a lack of skulls! :o
Those cost extra, and come in a seperate optional multipart upgrade kit....

Yep, the skulls are available for just £15 extra. Bargain! ;)

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #7460 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Well, it will probably cost as much as a wedding.

still ... cheaper than a divorce

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7461 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Those cost extra, and come in a seperate optional multipart upgrade kit....

Yep, the skulls are available for just £15 extra. Bargain! ;)

Those skulls are actually great piece of kit!
I was making fun about this box-o-skullz and ended getting one and being happy about them :P

You are thinking about set of doors with skulls like these but I guess twice the size and price

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:42:19 PM by AWu »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7462 on: October 19, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »
Just read on Tabletop Gaming News that Wizkids are partnering with GW

official announcement - here

The multi-year deal will span numerous categories and include the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 characters and more. WizKids will create two new board games, along with dice games based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with additional plans to republish classic board games Fury of Dracula and Relic.

Thoughts??? :D

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7463 on: October 19, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
Don't much care tbh, only liked the boardgames for the nice metal minis.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7464 on: October 19, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
So wizkids will make 30 games, promote nome of them, make a variation of dice masters that no one plays, then forget about them all in two weeks because the one person left on the planet that cares about heroclix needs another spiderman.

Is this gw doing wizkids a favour or something?
"" hey kid, print this for us and we'll pretend to be your mate for the afternoon "

" sure thing mister G! And can I maybe use your IP to draw in fans to our floundering game systems? "

" well see, now eat these worms. "
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:52:08 PM by nic-e »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7465 on: October 19, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
'Fury of Dracula' was brilliant and I was just thinking about it the other day. There was so much tension in the game, so many ways to win/lose for each side and a nice combination of good planning, skilful use of resources and luck!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7466 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »
'Fury of Dracula' was brilliant and I was just thinking about it the other day. There was so much tension in the game, so many ways to win/lose for each side and a nice combination of good planning, skilful use of resources and luck!

Aye, it's a very fun and frustrating game. But the fact that tehy specifically mention it is what makes me think they're using wizkids as a glorified printing company.The FF Dracula was fine, And i doubt GW will really ask for much of an overhaul of it or relic.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7467 on: October 19, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »
Aye, it's a very fun and frustrating game. But the fact that tehy specifically mention it is what makes me think they're using wizkids as a glorified printing company.The FF Dracula was fine, And i doubt GW will really ask for much of an overhaul of it or relic.

If it's anything like Talisman I'd expect the wizkids releases to just be reprints of the FFG editions.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7468 on: October 19, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
If it's anything like Talisman I'd expect the wizkids releases to just be reprints of the FFG editions.

That's what i mean by wizkids are being used as a glorified printing service and being paid token service by being allowed to mess with the 40k ip for two minutes.

GW are going to dress wizkids up in Fantasy flights old clothes, put it in a cheap wig and have it act out all it's dirty desires. deep down wizkids will know GW doesn't love it, it's just a rebound, But hey, they get new dice masters sets out of it.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7469 on: October 20, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
"The multi-year deal will span numerous categories and include the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 characters and more. WizKids will create two new board games, along with dice games based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with additional plans to republish classic board games Fury of Dracula and Relic."

Called it.

If they were interested in making serious money they'd do a 40k version of their pocket model game. Imagine a booster pack containing two pop out 40k ships and a little rules sheet for pocket space combat.

They won't because that would require more than half an hours development and support.but a man can dream.