Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730500 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1770 on: September 06, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
To be honest, I REALLY like the new Dark Elf hero with the octi-mask.  It will work great with my underdark skirmish force!

What hero is this? You're not talking about Lokir Felheart are you? He's been around forever. If there's a new one I might be interested!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1771 on: September 06, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
So, Warhammer skirmish but with monsters then...

That what it sounds like. A massive plastic 'thing' and a few minions. I'll leave it and stick with 3rd ed  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1772 on: September 06, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
6th for me, with a massive PDF of Warhammer Skirmish scenarios etc. :D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1773 on: September 06, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »
What hero is this? You're not talking about Lokir Felheart are you? He's been around forever. If there's a new one I might be interested!

Nope, that's the one!  Shows you how long I've been out of the loop....  I think he would be great as a slave/champion for the Illithids.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1774 on: September 06, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »

I actually wouldn't mind giving 8th a go, I've got plenty of figures for the larger units  ???

cheers

James

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1775 on: September 06, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Nope, that's the one!  Shows you how long I've been out of the loop....  I think he would be great as a slave/champion for the Illithids.

I like that model too. I think he'd make a great Hermaeus Mora cultist like Miraak from the Skyrim DLC Dragonborn.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1776 on: September 06, 2014, 08:20:22 PM »
I actually wouldn't mind giving 8th a go, I've got plenty of figures for the larger units  ???

cheers

James

8th does look very good, but I lack big armies to use it yet. I happened to have the 6th Edition rulebook laying around and remember enjoying it. :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1777 on: September 06, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Rats, I thought there might be a new one. I have a... use for him. More would have been welcome though!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1778 on: September 06, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
Nah... convert your armies to God of Battles instead, Great system, easy to proxy almost any army you want using one of the lists - and 'borrow' unis from other lists if you need to.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1779 on: September 06, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
@ Ajsalium:

I've heard that rumour a few times now, but it still seems unlikely to me. I can see the effort being made to re-do all the army books and plastic regiment kits for 8th, and can't see how 9th will abolish that. That 9th has a lower model count requirement I could understand,  and even that it has a skirmish subset of rules.

But otherwise,  I actually wonder if we'll see WHFB and 40k skirmish games (I.e., one each) to fill the void that will be left when the LOTR licence finally runs out/dry.

Gotta agree with this.  I can see something based around the £50-£100 mark as being a good starting point for WHFB - or basically, a battalion boxed set with a character or monster.  Heck, there are 1000 to 1500-point High Elf army lists that are pretty much 2x the elves from the Island of Blood starter - buy two boxes with a mate and swap armies!  ANd pity the poor sod who ends up with 100 skaven to paint...

Are the End Times armies we've seen around the £100 mark a hint of things to come?

I could get into a skirmish version of WHFB and 40k very easily indeed, although I'd like to see basic stats in the book if it's going to be separate.  Or a rules summary and stats sheet in each box?

Much as it saddens me, I agree that the LotR/Hobbit range is not long for this world.  What's doubly sad is how the game ended up as a pale imitation of WHFB.  AH well, still have my models!

GW has pretty much no competition for the MONSTAHS!!! that they're putting out these days, and they're a high-value sale, so it's kind of easy to see why they're so fond of them.  Some are pretty decent - I fancy trying my hand at a Terrorgeist at some point. Trouble is, as folks have noted, it changes the nature of the game completely...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:02:02 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1780 on: September 06, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »

If that's a hint mate, consider it well taken!  I have the Ravening Hordes army lists and PDFs of Border Patrol (<500 points) and Path to Glory (Chaos warbands beat each other up...).  And 6th Ed is pretty cheap on eBay...

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1781 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »
Nah... convert your armies to God of Battles instead, Great system, easy to proxy almost any army you want using one of the lists - and 'borrow' unis from other lists if you need to.  :)

Very tempted by this idea - I do love GoB...

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1782 on: September 06, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »
If that's a hint mate, consider it well taken!  I have the Ravening Hordes army lists and PDFs of Border Patrol (<500 points) and Path to Glory (Chaos warbands beat each other up...).  And 6th Ed is pretty cheap on eBay...

It wasn't but I knew you'd see it.  :D 6th is a nice book to be honest. It contains the skirmish rules and siege rules (which we may need...)

Now you need to build a dwarven mine for underground skirmish campaigns against skaven and night goblins!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1783 on: September 07, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
Those £100 deals weren't looking too bad, then I changed it to "deliver to New Zealand" I thought the Southern Hemisphere markup wouldn't make it excessive as $200 is the equivalent of £100. These cost $320! That's an extra £60/$120. Still, getting off a northern hemisphere mate on LAF would make it a lot cheaper or ordering through one of those shipping forwarding companies.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1784 on: September 07, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »
Those £100 deals weren't looking too bad, then I changed it to "deliver to New Zealand" I thought the Southern Hemisphere markup wouldn't make it excessive as $200 is the equivalent of £100. These cost $320! That's an extra £60/$120. Still, getting off a northern hemisphere mate on LAF would make it a lot cheaper or ordering through one of those shipping forwarding companies.

Holy Smaug!  S&H to Middle Earth is off the hook!