Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atomic Cafe 1957 from Brigade Games  (Read 33184 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Atomic Cafe 1957 from Brigade Games
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:48 AM »
Robots would be nice if they remained rare enough and looked right for the 1950's style setting, like, say, the ones Brigade already sells! :P

Power armour wouldn't be out of place either, if it was likewise kept rare, and had the right look. Think Bioshock as opposed to Space Marines. It might help to think of them not so much as "power armour" as "clanky suits of mayhem".

"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »
More along the lines I was thinking honistly. I know you say power armor and ever one thinks of GW SMs or Anima Mech's. No i was thinking of some thing more along the lines of just you normal ever day Hydrolacly asysted atonamsly powered protective suits, HAAPPS for short.  :D
I was also thinking the bigger and clanker the better. No more powerd suits that just look like there panted on to a figuer. I want some thing big and mean, and looks like it could stop a 50. and maby possably handly a boozoka or two.  >:D
Hell I could just use my AT-43 redbock mini armor suits or maby thouse over priced one's from westwind miniatuers.
I like the robots also. there kind of what I had in mind for "metal run amok!"
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 05:17:35 AM »
Funnily enough, though I'm sure ENTIRELY UNINTENTIONALLY... those "hard suits" from Recreational Conflict look an awful lot like the Bio Shock diving suits/power armor.... Perhaps I'll have to use some of them for Atomic Cafe.

I'm really looking forward to this, Rich and Lon. Not normally a fan of the 50s, but I love Fall Out, and the environment, and this is (I'm sure, once again, entirely unintentionally) very evocative of this...

How many figs do you reckon a standard game would require?

-Doc

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
No robots or power armor. Think more Mad Max and less WWWIII.
  :-*;D :o ;D :-*
Yeah! We need no robots and power armor and such sci fi stuff! Our battlefield is the open road, our water to drink is the gasoline of our cars, our language we spoke is the sound of our upgraded engines! Our war will be fought on the streets between Roadwarriors, Scavangers and other inhabitants of the wastelands! Our weapons are sawed off shotguns and Desert Eagels and no Laser guns or future like sub Mgs ;)

Fantastic! I really really love the storyline  8)

Offline Reverend Boogie

• Lurker
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »
Hiya,

Newbie to this forum, been looking for a few months but this idea has been exciting enough to get me to join.  Been looking to start something set in the 1950's for a while, as well as getting back into wargaming I dj & run 1940's & 50's themed dances so this has really whetted my appetite!  By coincindence I've been working on some ruined city scenery boards which should be perfect & I've got some plasticville stuff which now I'm going to have a go at.  Hope to put up some w.i.p. photos in the future.

Couple of ideas which might be useful, there are some great free 1950's fonts & dingbats which are available on the net if anyone needs posters, business signs etc.  One site I can recommend is Tackorama which has loads, & also some really great free period clipart & photos.

Just watched a really inspirational zombie comedy at some friends a few weeks ago called I think "Fido".  I'ts set in 50's America after a zombie plague, is well filmed, has some great cars, sets & costumes & is really off the wall!

A good cd I can recommend is "Like an Atom Bomb", B2CD 003 on the Buzzola label, packed with apocalyptic songs from the period, including such un-pc gems as Jesus hits like an atom bomb, when they dropped the atomic bomb, atomic telephone & fireball boogie!

Does anyone know if there will be a UK source for the game?  Really looking forward to painting up my first greasers, any chance there will be zoot suiters?  I know they are a bit early for the game but they should still fit in well & could be useful for earlier pulp games, particularly if anyone has ever thought of gaming the zoot suit riots of the 1940's.

Plant you now & dig you later, cats! (oh dear, I'm getting carried away already)

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
more soundtrack choices: most songs from "los Lobos" and there is a free song on itunes from a guy named "shaun Smith" that, though modern, has a good folk/rock feel to it. wonder if I can stand to listen to any of the grease soundtracks...oh wait did streets of fire have a soundtrack?
my wife already has her gang in mind...we have those "not venture bros" minis from zombie smith...now all she needs is a catsuit eyepatch wearing russian babe. I on the other hand am not sure what my gang will be based on, reaper makes a mighty fine wrestler/brute but then what will the rest of the gang look like. Of course they also have a "not che" figure too...

I know it is too early but any chance of demos rules before release?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »

A small game will be about 10 figures per player. A large game about 30-40. The gangs are being designed around 10-figure sets for the most part. That gives you 8 gangers, 1 leader and 1 special.

If I can convince Lon of it, the demo sheet from Cold Wars will be available a few weeks after the convention. However, if he does let me post them, it will probably only be through his forum. I know some people balk at having to sign up to get anything free, but this is Brigade's project and I have to respect their wishes.

I'll keep everyone here as informed as I can since, after my own forum, this is my favorite place to hang out.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »
"However, if he does let me post them, it will probably only be through his forum."

no problem there I have been a member of the yahoo group for a while! Just joined the BG forum too, plus I am sure Lon realizes what great resources places like this, TMP and TGN are.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »
You gotta love 50's nuclear science:

-> another on the atomic cannon
-> a bit later, but still the same sort of idea

Its great as I can finaly use almost all my Pulp, WWW2 & some of my PA stuff together... its like someone decided to mix up my dreams!

Perhaps an addon book with rules for death robots, powered armour, and other fallout esque stuff might be the way to go if you want to keep the original release idea 'clean'?

Also, will there be figures for some of those Pesky Commies? Soviets & Chinese? (If not, anyone know of any good stand-ins? 1st corps do some Korean war stuff, but thats about all I can think of, as I imagine WW2 stuff would be a bit early...)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:14:53 PM by v_lazy_dragon »
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »

A small game will be about 10 figures per player. A large game about 30-40. The gangs are being designed around 10-figure sets for the most part. That gives you 8 gangers, 1 leader and 1 special.

If I can convince Lon of it, the demo sheet from Cold Wars will be available a few weeks after the convention. However, if he does let me post them, it will probably only be through his forum. I know some people balk at having to sign up to get anything free, but this is Brigade's project and I have to respect their wishes.

I'll keep everyone here as informed as I can since, after my own forum, this is my favorite place to hang out.

All sounds great, Rich. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on this stuff. Please keep us informed.

-Doc

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »
Yes I am so looking forward to this! :-* :D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 08:38:08 AM »

And while you're at it, you need to convince Lon that in 2009 webshops need to have good piccies!

Even if just to froth over!  ;)

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
I need Scots, too... Scots vs greasers!! Pettycoats and ponytails! Elvis as he looked back then! Redneck Rockabilly Rebels!!!

This is a wet dream come true!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
I need Scots, too... Scots vs greasers!!

I don't really know what the "Michigan State Bowlers League" gang (one of the future releases for the game) is going to look like, but if they have bowling jackets, then they might do well as 1950s Scots. A bowling jacket looks a lot like a letterman jacket.