Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Scenery - Cottages - 16 Feb 2018  (Read 7840 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: ECW Buildings - River! (was A Harwoodian Dovecote) - Update 17 July
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »
Teach her the wonders of city life and give her a real experience of what a sweat shop is like. You might get that church, farmhouse and additional buildings finished. :P

All in all - great progress nonetheless. It's a nice look you're achieving.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
Teach her the wonders of city life and give her a real experience of what a sweat shop is like. You might get that church, farmhouse and additional buildings finished. :P

All in all - great progress nonetheless. It's a nice look you're achieving.

Hah! The possibility of child labour had occurred to me, at least for something like putting the sand texture coat down over the river modules!  lol

We shall see!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Right, niece has been returned to her parents and progress has been made on the river project!

Here's all ten river sections all laid out. The bridge has been fully painted, and the other nine pieces are all covered in fine sand for texture. On to basecoat primer across all of them this week, hopefully, as well as completing the river banks on the bridge section then sand there so it catches up to the other sections.

More here on the blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2017/07/31/modular-river-part-three-paint-sand/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
I was away again last week on an awesome six day bike tour, so progress on gaming projects has been minimal. There has been some, though!

Black basecoat, heavy brown drybrush, lighter tan drybrush on the banks and shallow bits. The shiny thing in the centre of the photo is a 6" metal ruler, for some scale.

The bridge is a bit behind, it just got black basecoat and still needs the brown/tan layer.

After the bridge segment is done it'll be foliage and flocking across all the segments... and then the long and smelly job of epoxy resin water on all ten segments! Not particularly looking forward to that part, but it'll look good in the end!

It took about two weeks but the swampy pond I did as a test piece has finally had the epoxy resin glue water effects cure rock hard, which is promising for the future longevity of these segments.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Better Pic 18 Aug
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »
Daylight photo for a better sense of the colours.

The bridge piece needs another go with the tan drybrushing, but then it'll be all caught up to the rest of the project and I can get on with the flocking and foliage.

And the stinky, stinky resin water. Have I mentioned I'm not looking forward to that part even though I know it'll look good when finished? Yeah.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Better Pic 18 Aug
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Those rivers sections look fantastic. Can't wait to see them finished.  I might use your ideas as a spur to get my river sorted out.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
I was away again last week on an awesome six day bike tour, so progress on gaming projects has been minimal. There has been some, though!

Black basecoat, heavy brown drybrush, lighter tan drybrush on the banks and shallow bits. The shiny thing in the centre of the photo is a 6" metal ruler, for some scale.

The bridge is a bit behind, it just got black basecoat and still needs the brown/tan layer.

After the bridge segment is done it'll be foliage and flocking across all the segments... and then the long and smelly job of epoxy resin water on all ten segments! Not particularly looking forward to that part, but it'll look good in the end!

It took about two weeks but the swampy pond I did as a test piece has finally had the epoxy resin glue water effects cure rock hard, which is promising for the future longevity of these segments.

So each river section is about size 8 1/2 to 9 UK size?  ;)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
So each river section is about size 8 1/2 to 9 UK size?  ;)

They'd be awfully big shoes! Each full size segment is 12" long by 6" wide; with the river proper 3" wide and each bank 1.5".

I did the water on the two small curved pieces with 5-minute epoxy glue and that worked OK, although one of them went way too lumpy and kind of matte - I'm going to have to do a skim of actual epoxy over it to clean it up.

Three small pieces (the earlier swampy pond and these two curved segments) ate up an entire tube of 5-minute epoxy glue, though, so it was actually winding up cheaper to buy proper two-part casting epoxy - 40% off coupons for big craft stores help there, too.

I did the first full size river segment last night. I only had a very quick look at it this morning before heading to work but it looks good and my casting dams of tongue depressors, tape, and blu-tak seem to have worked - the old tray isn't visible covered in resin, at least! The ink bottles are just there to flatten that end of the segment; I'm probably going to tape future segments right to the flat bottom of the tray instead.

I did the flocking on the banks before I started the water effects, but unfortunately the matte medium layer I added to fully glue the flock down went all milky. I'm just going to redo the flock after the resin water is totally cured and hardened.

The resin is far more self-levelling than the epoxy glue, which is both good and bad. I might wind up adding some ripples with gloss medium over the resin just to give the water a bit of movement.

If I do one river segment per evening I should have the water all done sometime next week (I'm away again this weekend) and then re-doing the flocking and foliage can wait until everything has properly cured, probably the week after that!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water! 23 Aug
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
What an excellent thread - thank you.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
Some really nice scenery.

Interesting that you found a use for liquid green stuff. Until now, I was convinced this was the most pointless product ever.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Some really nice scenery.

Interesting that you found a use for liquid green stuff. Until now, I was convinced this was the most pointless product ever.

I read a review somewhere that described it as "tiny texture paint" and decided that that might be useful. It's not actually useful for gap filling, though.

Here's the first resin pour mostly cured with some 28mm musketeers for scale.

Still lots of pouring to do, especially as I can really only do one of the full size 12" segments per session due to space restrictions. This has been one of those projects that demands a lot of working space (there's ten river segments all told, six of them 12" x 6") but will take up practically no storage space once it's finished.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water - new pic 25 Aug
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
That looks awesome already.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water - new pic 25 Aug
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »
That looks awesome already.

Thank you! I'm really pleased with how the water has turned out!

I've gotten the resin poured in all ten segments now, including doing a very thin layer across the two corner segments that I originally use epoxy glue on. That dried quite flat, not glossy like the resin, so a super-thin skim of resin was carefully added.

Here's some of the segments on my desk:

I still need to clean up all the ends where the resin went a bit messy against the dam, and redo the flocking on the banks.

More photos and a blog update soon.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water - new pic 5 Sept
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
The river is looking very good, I like how the river bed shows through, nothing like the rivers for here. lol

Great thread, I've been looking at it on your blog.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water - new pic 5 Sept
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Awesome - love the bridge