Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Spells into combat  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Thoth-Amon

• Schoolboy
Frostgrave - Spells into combat
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
I just wanted to clarify a few points please :-

1) Casting grenade near a combat. Say my barbarian is engaged with an enemy archer. Can I cast grenade near to the combat in such a way that the archer is within the area of effect but not my barbarian? If so does this mean that only the archer is liable to take damage, or does it then count as 'shooting into combat' and the actual target is determined randomly?

2) When resolving grenade and considering shooting modifiers do you consider intervening terrain / cover between the caster and the impact point, or between the impact point and the target, or both?

3) Other spells into combat. Am I right in saying that if the spell is not resolved as a 'shooting attack' then it can be cast into combat without randomising the target? e.g. Push or Reveal Death

cheers...

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
Re: Frostgrave - Spells into combat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
I just wanted to clarify a few points please :-

1) Casting grenade near a combat. Say my barbarian is engaged with an enemy archer. Can I cast grenade near to the combat in such a way that the archer is within the area of effect but not my barbarian? If so does this mean that only the archer is liable to take damage, or does it then count as 'shooting into combat' and the actual target is determined randomly?

I would argue its a random hit, the two models, representing two characters, would in reality be moving to and fro, not standing opposite each other randomly waving weapons at each other.

If there was a multi way combat that had multiple large creatures and sprawled for a couple of inches you might be beardy and argue otherwise.

2) When resolving grenade and considering shooting modifiers do you consider intervening terrain / cover between the caster and the impact point, or between the impact point and the target, or both?

Yes.

3) Other spells into combat. Am I right in saying that if the spell is not resolved as a 'shooting attack' then it can be cast into combat without randomising the target? e.g. Push or Reveal Death

cheers...

Generally I'd argue NO, but depends on the exact wording of the spell.
For example, I'd argue Push cannot be used - its something I would have LIKED to have done many times !

Suggest you ask in the Rules thread, and Joe might respond directly for a definitive answer.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Thoth-Amon

• Schoolboy
Re: Frostgrave - Spells into combat
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »
Thank you for your reply, that's what I reasoned.

I hadn't realised I had posted in the wrong place.

I'll repost.