Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:59:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690746
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 42120 times)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a
« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2024, 07:27:41 PM »
Offering a quick prayer to the heavens perhaps? The whole group look great either way, the green stuff sections blend really naturally :-*

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2024, 08:55:57 PM »
Either way, they are going to look great. That muted blue is really nice, a solid choice.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2024, 04:53:53 PM »
The cavalry below will replace the mounted Hearthguard that I gave away.

The models are Berber Cavalry 3D prints designed Caballero Miniatures. Since I am not the type to leave well enough alone, I've replaced the heads (which in IMO were a bit too small) with Perry Afghan heads, and replaced the weapons/hands with unused bits from my Victrix Saxons kit. The skinny Victrix plastic spears are a bit fragile, but MUCH less so than the 3D printed spears. And since Moor HG cav are armed with javelins, I replaced some of the models' left hands with hands holding bundles javelins.

The models below are more converted Caballero Miniatures. The model on the right will be my new Warlord and the drummer on the donkey (or is it a mule?) is going to be added to camel cavalry HG unit. I have currently converted a total of 5 camel cav. If you look back through this thread you will see how labor intensive this is.  So, rather than put myself through all of that again to produce a 6th camel cav model (which is what I need for my Mutatawii'a warband), the sixth "camel" will be this drummer. I replaced the original model's head with another Perry Afghan head. I also replaced the original drumsticks, which had broke off during shipment and were only tiny slivers of resin to begin with, so good riddance to them.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 05:36:33 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2024, 06:20:21 PM »
Great builds mate, the afghan heads work a treat. Always tricky converting 3D-prints, you never know exactly what is going to come off.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2024, 09:32:09 PM »
The model pictured below and to the left was originally posed as the model pictured below and to the right. Whereas the mode's original, twisted pose looks cool, once I replaced the model's original head with a Perry Afghan head, I couldn't reproduce the dynamism of the original model. No matter how I adjusted the Perry head, the pose no longer looked quite right.

My solution was to reposition the model's upper torso, so it is no longer twisted to far to the left. The model's torso is too thick to cut through using a hobby knife. And based upon my experience working with 3D printed models, I knew that the brittle resin material combined with the width of the torso and the positioning of the arms and sword hilt meant that cutting the model in two with my hobby saw would be a chore and likely cause damage to other parts of the model. Sawing through small sections of brittle resin, even with a very small hobby saw, can cause parts of the model to shatter and chip off. Plus, holding the model tight enough to allow one to cut through it with a saw can also cause damage to the model.

After experimentally placing the saw blade against the side of the model a couple of time trying to find just the right angle, on impulse I said "F*ck it." I put down the saw, picked up my hobby snips, quickly positioned snip's blades just above the belt (see red arrow below), and gave the handles a strong squeeze. The bottom half of the model stayed in my hands, but the upper torso shot up like a rocket, and sharply ricocheted off the ceiling.  The top torso landed on my hobby table, right in front of me, and the Perry head landed on the floor, beside my left foot.

Miraculously, not only did the model cleanly break apart exactly where I wanted it to, despite the ricochet and my strong grip on the bottom half of the model, both halves survived the experience, perfectly intact. The Perry head separated from the model when it hit the ceiling, but fragile arms and skinny little sword hilt were completely undamaged.

When on occasion, my hobby snips cause bits of a model to go flying, I generally spend the next 10-15 minutes searching through my cluttered office, trying to find the ejected part. This time, one piece landed on my desk, right in front of me, and the other literally landed at me feet. The whole thing made me laugh.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 11:51:39 PM by Koyote »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2024, 10:38:20 PM »
I laughed about usually spending 10-15 minutes looking for the pieces that go flying, I’ve been there! (As I imagine most of us have.)

I’m glad the pieces cooperated this time and were easy for you to find, it’s not always the case! The conversion seems to be coming along well, anyway. I’m looking forward to seeing these guys painted- I expect they’ll be excellent like the rest of this army!

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2024, 04:14:41 PM »
Wonderful work as usual! Love the little conversions on the cavalry- hope we’ll get to see them painted soon :D

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2024, 12:54:29 PM »
Your converting skills are impressive! Looks fantastic! :-*