Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Late Romans  (Read 88947 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
One of the brilliant aspects of SAGA Age of Magic is the ease in which you can bring your historical SAGA warbands into AoM. 

I had already planned to add a unit of 12 levy archers to my Britons to take advantage of levy rules in SAGA v2, but now that AoM has landed, I've decided to expand the warband even further so that my Britons can be played as a Great Kingdoms warband.

I want to keep my original Arthurian "villains" theme, so I am going to restrict my weapon selection (e.g. no crossbows or firearms) and monsters to the early Welsh Arthurian stories.  My first AOM additions will be a mounted Captain (or Paladin) and a Static War Machine.    The Captain will be Mordred's oldest (half?) brother, Sir Agravain the Hard Hand.  Like Mordred, in the earlier versions of the myths Sir Agravain is a flawed character but he isn't the villain Mallory makes him out to be.  Sir Agravain is a brute so he'll make a good enforcer, but he isn't especially charismatic, so Mordred needn't fear his men switching loyalties.  The model that I'm using Sir Agravain comes from Footsore Miniature's Late Roman Cavalry Command set.

The war machine is Gripping Beasts' Late Roman Scorpio.  Like most of GB's older minis, the sculpts are meh. 

Warlord Games sells a much better scorpion, but it's triple the cost of the GB model.  If I find that the war machine works well for me, I may break down and order Warlord Games model and donate this one to a friend.

Stronghold Terrain sells a very nice Late Roman Manuballista (which I own), but the models are very small, even for historicals.  It's advertised as 28mm scale, but compared to GB and Footsore 28mm historicals, the Stronghold Terrain manuballista looks like it is being crewed by children.

The next new addition to my AoM Britons will be much more fantastic in nature.  Giants play a prominent role in the early myths of Britain's founding, so it's not surprising that they pop up, time and again, in many of the Arthur myths.  In a Welsh myth, Arthur uses treachery to kill 3 giantess sisters and when their brother, Cribwr Gawr, reproaches Arthur, Arthur threatens Cribwr Gawr with death. 

In my warband's AOM backstory the giants are no friends to the Britons, but when Mordred offers Cribwr Gawr the opportunity to kill Arthur, an uneasy alliance is formed.

I spent quite a bit of time online searching for a model that fits my vision of a giant from Celtic myths.  Even though it's a giant, I don't want the model to be too tall as this could make it look too out of place among the rest of the warband.  Even though it's monster in a fantasy warband, I don't want it to have any armor or carry any weapons that would look out of place for the semi-historical period that my warband inhabits.  I finally settled on a hill giant miniature printed/cast by a seller on Etsy.  The model is a bit too plain, so my plan is to gussy it up some using greenstuff and plastic bits from other kits.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:55:22 PM by Koyote »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »
Nice bit of backstory. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with that giant.

Warlord Games sells a much better scorpion, but it's triple the cost of the GB model.  If I find that the war machine works well for me, I may break down and order Warlord Games model and donate this one to a friend.
Which one are you referring to? The metal ones are less than twice the price, while the plastic one is only slightly more expensive. The only ones at a higher price point are sets of three.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2019, 12:29:00 PM »
Which one are you referring to? The metal ones are less than twice the price, while the plastic one is only slightly more expensive. The only ones at a higher price point are sets of three.
Shipped to my address in the US, the GB Late Roman Scorpio is £7.90 ($9.93).

Shipped to my address using “standard shipping” the Caesarian Roman Scorpion is $31.75.

Warlord’s Imperial Roman Scorpion would be only double the price of the GB Scorpio, but the Imperial Roman crews’ helms and lorica segmentata armor differ greatly from the helmets and armor of my Britons, so I’d have to scrap the crew and find entirely different crew models. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:52:43 PM by Koyote »

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
This is a great project! I really enjoy adaptations of old Saga warbands into the Age of Magic.

Concerning the giants, Reaper should soon be releasing a couple of Hill Giants that might fit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-4-mr-bones-epic-adventure/posts/2381576

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
Warlord games are currently offering free international shipping on orders over 10 pounds. They also make a plastic bolt thrower. You could couple that with some plastic Gripping Beast models.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2019, 05:17:43 AM »
@Gandalf the G and John Tailby:  Thanks for the tips.

I’ve started work on a Sacred Ground terrain piece for Age of Magic. It can also be used as a Ruins terrain piece in standard Saga.

In both my “historical” and AoM warbands, most of my Britons are early-Christians, but Mordred, Morgan Le Fay, and many of their men keep the old gods and the old ways.

In my “historical” version of the warband the unit of mercenary Guides is represented by Morgan and her Cymri Warriors.  In my AoM version I am going to use the same idea to add crossbows to my warband. Instead of Guides, Morgan’s contribution to my AoM Britons will be a unit of Picts armed with crossbows and the giant, Cribwr Gawr.

My AoM Britons’ ties to their pagan past give me the excuse to incorporate some terrific standing stone models (made by Scotia Grendel Miniatures) into my Briton’s AoM Sacred Ground terrain.

I purchased the the rocky hill from Terrainify, a 3D printer that sells on Etsy. They sell this hill in 3 different sizes. For this project, I’m using is the middle size. It measures roughly 7.5” x 6”.

Below are some WIPs.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:19:47 PM by Koyote »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Gorgeous as ever. Looking forward to seeing that piece finished in all its glory  8)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
I've completed Sir Agravain and the first four Levy archers.

I need to do a bit more work on Agravain's face. Right now he looks like Sir Agravain the Terrified.  Narrowing his eyes should help.

To signify the Levy's lower rank and distinguish them from my Warriors and Hearthguard, I painted their tunics are the color of unbleached cotton.

As usual, my camerawork and lighting are poor.  In person, the reds are a deeper shade.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
This is very cool! Keep em coming Koyote

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
I've created a thread in the Fantasy Adventure forum ( LINKY) to host my SAGA Age of Magic content.  If you want to see my progress on my AoM Britons, you can find it there.  Britons content that is "historical" will be posted here in the Medieval Adventures forum.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:23:46 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »
Since these models are arguably both for use in my "historical" Britons and my AoM Britons, I'm posting them here as well.

These models are Footsore Late Roman Archers. The unit's leader is the standard bearer from Footsore's Romano-British Warlord set.  I replaced the model's right arm with a bit from a Gripping Beast's Arab Heavy Cavalry plastic kit, and replaced the left hand with a bow hand from the unused Footsore archer.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
Those archers look great painted up!

The conversion worked out really well also, a great commander for the unit.

Thanks
n

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #267 on: August 25, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
This model is Arthur from an Arthur & Mordred vignette made by Westwind Productions. It’s part of my project, along with my Briton archers and Hatra ballista, to make my Britons playable as Romans (or AoM Great Kingdoms). It’ll make a great Roman foot-Warlord (or AoM Captain or Paladin).

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:20:16 PM by Koyote »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »
Most excellent man! That Arthur is a gem!!! :-*

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
Every now and then I come across a thread and become engrossed. Your work is simply amazing and inspiring, thanks for sharing you have made my week with this.