Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish,Late Romans, and Saxons  (Read 96817 times)

Offline Ajax

• Scientist
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Other Stuff
« Reply #300 on: November 02, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
As usual, beautiful !

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #301 on: November 02, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
They look great.

Steve

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »
I would say the facelift is a definite success.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:20:00 PM by syrinx0 »
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »
The facelift was a stunning success mate, they look great!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #304 on: November 03, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
I started work on giving my second unit of Irish warriors a "facelift". 

The tufts I used in 2017 didn't have a strong adhesive, so I reinforced each tuft's bond with a tiny dab of white glue.  Consequently, the removal of the tufts leaves behind a mess and sometimes torn up sections of texture.  In many instances, it's easier to remove the underlying texture than clean up the mess -hence the bases stripped down to the green plastic.

After stripping them of their shields, plastic spears, and tufts, this is what unit looks like -a hot mess.

And here they are, with the texture patched and armed with their new metal javelins.  The next steps will be brush-on primer, new shields, and paint.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #305 on: November 05, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
First off, I'm not really into this period and I don't play Saga, but this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!! Between the basic figures, the conversions, the terrain and the brushwork, "ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!" is not hyperbole, it's an understatement! Brilliant! Superb! Inspiring!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2021, 05:17:31 PM »
Really great stuff.

And thanks for the reply about the GW Citadel Woods bits. How I wish that kit were still in production somewhere.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2021, 05:33:18 PM »
I concur, really nice brush and handiwork, a great job.

Very easy to get something like this wrong, so thumbs up from here.

Cheers

Ry

Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2021, 07:04:27 AM »
Another weekend, another unit "facelift".  This unit will be the last of the models that I recycle from my Adepticon 2017 Irish warband. The rest of my 2022 Irish warband will be new models or refurbished models that didn’t make it into my 2017 Adepticon lists.

It's not a great photo, but you're not going to get a better one out of me tonight.  Shortly after taking this pic I accidentally knocked my digital camera off my table and broke it.  Don't mourn for my loss. I f*cking hate that infernal device. I'm glad it's dead. I wish it had broken long ago.  Now I have the excuse to buy a new one. :)

The model pictured above on the far left is Footsore Miniatures Irish Hero.  As you can see from the photo below, the model and shield are one piece. Equipping the model with a buckler required a shield-ectomy followed up by some reconstructive surgery and hand transplant.

My next victim will be a Curaidh, and then a unit of 12 slingers that I painted in 2016.  By then, my V&V order should have arrived, and I will begin work on a new warlord and his Fianna.

I'll likely save my Wargames Atlantic slingers for last.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:19:08 AM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:24 AM »
Here's another shot of my second unit of Warriors.

I'm still trying to figure out the settings on the new camera, but even though I'm shooting under poor lighting and with no backdrop, I can already see an improvement.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2021, 06:24:36 AM »
That looks really good indeed.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2021, 06:22:55 AM »
Below is another old model who has “gone under the knife”. I originally painted this Curaidh in 2017, but it wasn't in my Adepticon 2017 warband.  I've replaced its original spear with a wire spear, replaced its shield, touched up flesh and pants, sculpted new feet (the original shoes were pointed), replaced and repainted the base's texture, and added new tufts.

The model's bald head, blunt nose, and the shield on its back reminds me of a turtle, so I've named him Turtar (pronounced tur-tur), which according to the Google-machine, is 'Turtle' in Gaelic.

I'm still on the fence about whether to include one or two Curaidh in my 6 point Adepticon list, but either way, Turtar is guaranteed a spot on my roster.

The model is a Redbox Games mini, from their Norse model line -Ullr the Red.  Below is old pic of my original conversion work. I replaced its two-handed hammer with a spear (which I have since replaced with a wire spear/javelin). The model’s cranium was a bit small and pointy, so I used GS to enlarge it and give it a better shape. I also sculpted a proper belt, and added a strap across its chest.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 03:33:42 PM by Koyote »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2021, 06:36:13 AM »
He looks brilliant mate! The tattoo is excellent and you are right about his looks, good call on the name.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #313 on: November 11, 2021, 04:04:06 PM »
Wow. Talk about badass.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #314 on: November 11, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
Thanks.

Even though Christianity was introduced to Ireland a few hundred years before the beginning of the Viking Age, I chose to portray my Viking Age Irish as a clan who has resisted the spread of Christianity and still follows many of the 'old ways'.

I portray this by the inclusion of a handful of women fighters, the Celtic engravings depicted on some of the bases, the tattoos on the clan's champions (i.e., the Curaidh), and the baggage marker depicting the harassment of some passing Christian monks.  I did include a couple of banners depicting crosses, but these are equilateral crosses surrounded by a circle or circular in shape, so in my telling of my warband's story, these are solar crosses (or sun wheels), used by pagans in the worship of the sun god, Lugh.

Below is a shot from my 2017 Adepticon warband and display base.  Here you can see all of the elements I described above.