Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Late Romans  (Read 88986 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Other Stuff
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2022, 09:47:46 AM »
Congratulations
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »
Another one!  :o Respect!
Yup.

Adepticon 2022 held 4 days of Saga tournaments. Day 1 Age of Magic. Day 2 Age of Vikings doubles (teams of 2 players each fielding 4 points). Day 3 Age of Melee (factions from any book except for Age of Magic). Day 4 Age of Vikings.

On Day 1 I played my Lords if the Wild using my Deep Desert Nomads (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118478.225). I won my first two games (Great Kingdoms and Horde) and fought to a draw in the third (Undead). I squeaked out 1st place overall by one point.

On Day 2 I started my rental car and quickly realized that someone had stolen its catalytic converter. Welcome to Chicago!   :-[

I had to bow out of the Viking-Doubles tournament to deal with police, the rental company, and my own insurance company. I also had to drive the VERY LOUD car back to the airport to swap it for a new rental.  The extra insurance that I purchased from the rental company doesn’t cover theft, so the claim will likely end up on my personal policy -which has a $500 deductible.

On Day 3 I played my Moors. I won my first 2 games (Norse-Gael and Anglo Danes) and lost the 3rd game to a very good Hun player. The Huns needed a 3 point difference or greater to win and got exactly that, so it was very close to a draw.

On Day 4 I played my Irish. I won all 3 games. No blow outs in any of my games. All 3 games were pretty close.

The cherry on top of Day 4 was that my first game was against Rodge from the Saga Thorsday Youtube podcast. The matchup favored me (my Irish against his Norse Gaels) but the scenario (Battle Around the Campfire) favored Rodge. Rodge is a much better player than I am, but thoughtful play, the faction advantage, and good die rolls won me the game.

My second Day 4 opponent played Anglo Saxons.  It was the Desecration. scenario. He brought an all Levy build (73 models including his warlord). Anglo Saxon Levy are not pushovers. His 60 melee Levy had armor 4/4, an aggression of 1/2, and an advanced ability that let them all fight for a turn as Warriors. Yikes!

It was bloody, but I eked out a win by grinding down the units with my shooting and a last minute dash by my mounted Curaidh who destroyed an Anglo Saxon objective.

My third Day 4 opponent played Vikings. It was a straight up Clash of Warlords scenario. I thought it’d be a much easier match than my first two, but that hope was crushed when he got Ragnarock off TWICE, and tore my Warrior and Hearthguard units to shreds.  Fortunately my slingers and heroes survived, so I was able to rally and finish off most of the remaining Vikings. The Viking warlord went down from a hail of sling stones. At the end of the game, all that the Vikings had left were his 12 Levy archers, that remained in the rear the entire game, serving as two units of Saga die generators.

Going into Round 3 I was probably in third place due to my modest massacre point total. However, the two players who were ahead of me played against each other and the game ended in a draw. If either of them had won, I would have likely have come in second place overall. So once again, I squeaked out 1st place overall win.

Overall it was a fantastic event attended by wonderful players. You can’t ask for more than that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:49:23 PM by Koyote »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2022, 02:00:41 AM »
Sad to hear about the converter theft.  Losing money and even worse valuable playing time is harsh.  Sounds like you had several great days worth of games otherwise.  Congrats on the wins.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2022, 03:54:45 PM »
Congratulations!

Thank you very much as well for the in depth description of your converting process of mounted miniatures on the previous page  :-*

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2022, 08:55:35 PM »
I didn’t get a good group photo of my Irish warband at Adepticon, so this morning I unpacked my display board and took some shots with my phone.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:09:43 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »
It's such a nice army, the new additions are great.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »
Your warband is downright beautiful, excellent brush work throughout. Congratulations on your victories and, except for the whole theft fiasco, sounds like you had a good time playing. Thanks for taking the time to set up and get pics of your force and sharing them with us. Looking forward to your next project.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2022, 02:10:19 AM »
Epic work mate, they look incredible!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2022, 07:13:43 AM »
Amazing work.

Steve

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2022, 10:28:13 AM »
knock-out.  :-*

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2022, 10:54:20 PM »
Brilliant stuff. Really inspiring!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2022, 02:30:28 PM »
Fab to see them all arrayed like that Koyote  :-*

Offline Mesh

• Student
« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2022, 04:16:09 PM »
Great Warband and great display board. Tones of the board and the minis work really well together.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #419 on: June 03, 2022, 06:54:41 PM »
In August 2019 I added a unit of late Roman/Briton archers and a warmachine to my collection so I could play my Britons as either Sage: Aetius & Arthur (now called Age of Invasions) Romans or as Age of Magic Great Kingdoms.

I am intrigued by the current Age of Invasions Roman, so I want to add a couple of new units to my Britons so they are playable as Romans.  This new mini-project also gives me the excuse to add Footsore Miniatures' Belisarius model to my collection.  When I play the warband as Romans, he will be the warband's warlord.

I'm very particular when it comes to a model's scale and pose. And while I love most of the aspects of the Belisarius model, I feel that the horse's length is a bit off.  It just seems too short. The same holds true for Footsore's Mounted Irish Warlord model armed with a cudgel.  I understand that the horse's pose makes the horse's body bunched up, thus appearing a bit shorter then when it's all stretched out in a full stride, but even taking this into account, the horse's length just feels off to me.  Especially when you place the model side-by-side with my other Footsore Romano Briton cavalry models.  It makes it look like Belisarius is riding a pony while his hearthguard are riding proper horses.

Another issue I have with this model is that the top half of Belisarius doesn't match his bottom half.  The model comes in two pieces.  One piece is a horse with attached rider legs (the 'bottom half') and the other piece is a torso head and arms (the 'top half').  It looks like top half was sculpted/cast at a certain scale and the bottom half was sculpted/cast at a slightly smaller scale.  Thus when you put them together, the top half hangs over.  You can see this in Footsore's marketing photo below.

To fix short horse issue, I cut away the horses rump just behind the saddle blanket. Then I inserted a small, rectangular block of cured greenstuff and glued (and pinned) it back together. I used greenstuff to fill in the gaps, and extend the saddle blanket.  To fix the mismatched scale between the two halves I sculpted a new section of lamellar skirt covering Belisarius' posterior.