Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Late Romans  (Read 88536 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Other Stuff
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2022, 08:07:50 PM »
Cracking putty work Kayote.

You have pulled off a lovely paintjob on Belisarius too.   :-*

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #421 on: June 03, 2022, 09:58:13 PM »
Cracking putty work Kayote.

You have pulled off a lovely paintjob on Belisarius too.   :-*
I haven't painted the model yet.

The painted model pictured in my post is from Footsore's webstore.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #422 on: June 04, 2022, 06:39:11 AM »

lol Ah well, 'tis a fine paint job regardless  lol

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #423 on: June 04, 2022, 11:38:29 AM »

When you're being mistaken for official promo material, you must be doing something right ;)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »
Lovely greenstuff work as always.

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »
I love to read the thoughts that go into the army and each miniature here. Great attention to detail and dedication to make the most out of existing miniatures, the green stuff work really paid of!

Also really happy to read that you are going to expand into Romans as well! Very inspiring as usual...because of you I ordered Gripping BEast Ponies for my Welsh, because the footsore ones are just too thin and frail. Now they all need new saddle blankets  o_o lol

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2022, 07:37:28 PM »
Aside from expanding my SAGA terrain collection, I haven't done much painting since Adepticon.  I've done plenty of assembly and conversion work, but I just can't make myself paint minis. 

Part of the problem may be that starting new projects always seems so daunting.  So rather than tackling an entirely new warband, I'm going to get myself back into the habit of painting by beginning work on a smaller project, further expanding my Britons so I can use them as Age of Invasions Romans.

Below are my planned additions, a new warlord, 12 Levy (no equipment), and 12 Roman horse archers.  I've already started putting paint on the Levy. 

The list that I have in mind is a shooty, Warrior heavy list.

WL - mounted
10 Warriors -bows
10 Warriors -mounted & comp bows
8 Warriors -no equipment
8 Warriors -no equipment
12 Levy - no equipment
1 Manuballista

• Scientist
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2022, 06:53:57 AM »
Ah new Britons! What a joy!

Great selection of miniatures as usual, looking forward to seeing the levies painted! They will get shields though? Otherwise their empty hands look a bit strange...

Part of the problem may be that starting new projects always seems so daunting.  So rather than tackling an entirely new warband, I'm going to get myself back into the habit of painting by beginning work on a smaller project, further expanding my Britons so I can use them as Age of Invasions Romans.

Sounds like a good plan...the first miniatures of a new project always feel so daunting because it feels like they determine how all the rest is going to go. But it's often after painteing 8-10 minis that you really get into things.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:03:37 AM by .:Gunslinger:. »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #428 on: June 30, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
Great selection of miniatures as usual, looking forward to seeing the levies painted! They will get shields though? Otherwise their empty hands look a bit strange...
Yes. The Levy will be equipped with same oval shields carried by my other Briton/Roman infantry.  To further distinguish them from my Warriors, I’m going to use the black Chi Rho LBM transfers.

Due to the size and placement of the shields on these models, I will paint the model and shield separately.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:42:29 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #429 on: October 11, 2023, 08:42:36 PM »
It took me a year, but I finally found my way back to my Saga, Age of Invasions Roman warband.

When possible, I like to use my warbands to tell a story.  This makes the project more interesting and gives me some guidance on theme, paint, and model selection.

The theme for my AoI Romans will be Belisarius' Gothic campaign, which took place in the mid 6th century and involved the Eastern Roman's (temporary) reconquest of Italy. 

My warband will be led by Belisarius himself, but I'm not going to use the Legendary Unit for him. instead, he will be a standard, mounted Warlord.

One cannot field Besilarius without his faithful 'biscuit eaters' (Bucellarii), so the warband will include hearthguard cataphract and the option to field a unit of Warriors as mounted bowmen.

The warband's foot Warriors will be represented by the Romano Briton models that I previously painted for my Briton warband.

Since a big unit of Warrior archers will serve as my warband's anchor, I want this unit to stand out. So rather than use the Late Roman/Briton archers that I originally painted for this role, I am going to use the 'eastern archer' models from Victrix's Early Imperial Archers set. The Victix models are a bit anachronistic, but I like the eastern-look of them and they do present better than the bland, unarmored Late Roman archer models. Moreover, since Besilarius army was a mix of Eastern Romans (Greek and Latin people), Romanized "barbarians", foderati, and mercenaries, the Victix Eastern archer models add to the polyglot theme.

Besilarius' army included 3,000 Isaurians, who came from fierce tribe from southern Asia Minor. My research on the Isaurians has turned up very little, but it stands to reason that during this period their armor and weapons would have been influence by the nearby eastern people.  As such, my eastern Warrior archers are going to be Isaurians.  Below are a few test models that I assembled last night.

As previously planned, I am going to use Footsore Miniatures' unarmored Late Romans as levy. They will represent a unit of "Romanized" Heruli, an early Germanic people who contributed warriors to the Eastern Roman Empire. As a nod to their early Germanic heritage, I spent last night sculpting tiny little mustaches on each model. I still need to paint the mustaches, so right now they look like they have giant green caterpillars on their upper lips.

Belisarius' army also included both Hunnic and Berber mercenaries.  I really like Victrix's newly released, Late Roman Unarmored Cavalry models, so I am toying with the idea of fielding a unit of these as mounted Foederati Dogs of War (the AoI equivalent of mercenaries). 

The Roman battle board doesn't support Dogs of War units, but since the battle board has the unique Impetus rule, in practice Roman players end up spending extra Saga dice on almost every advanced Saga ability on the board. However, if I field a Dogs of War unit that can activate itself without Saga dice and has special abilities that don't require Saga dice, then that frees up Saga dice to use on Impetus and advanced Saga abilities for my Roman units.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 10:47:28 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2023, 09:13:00 PM »
Always fun to see your process!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #431 on: October 14, 2023, 05:45:42 PM »
I'm pleased with the look of my WIP foederati Isaurian archers.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 08:08:00 PM by Koyote »

• Scientist
« Reply #432 on: October 16, 2023, 09:27:50 AM »
I am really glad to see that you picked up this fantastic project again !

I really like the look of these archers and the backstory that justifies their use in Italy. I always loved those more than the plainer western Roman archers from footsore.

All in all a very nice mix of figures, you once again show that one shouldn't hesitate to mix different manufacturers and even plastic and metal in the same army!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #433 on: October 17, 2023, 08:08:43 PM »
I've been shopping around for cataphract models for my AoI Romans. The metal GB and Footsore models are, meh (although the models in Footsore Arthurian Romano-British Heavy Cavalry Deal look pretty good). The plastic GB are worse than their metals. I own some Aventine cataphract, but I never painted them because the horses are tiny -more pony than horse.  The V&V and Fireforge cataphracts look like they are from a later period. 

I was just about to breakdown and order the Footsore Arthurian Heavy Cav Deal when I got an answer to an earlier PM inquiry to Victrix.

The Victrix Late Roman Cataphract kit is only 6 weeks away. F*ck yeah!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:07:28 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2023, 08:19:14 PM »
Six weeks? damn, I may need to prepare the wallet.