Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hundred year wars  (Read 3342 times)

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
Hundred year wars
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
Hello,
I need some opinion, advise?
I want to do HYW, and i would choose between Front Rank, which i know, i had before other ranges from them, or plastic Perry, which i've never seen, so i don't know if they are beautiful or good? So any response or experience welcome.

Dirk

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
Re: Hundred year wars
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
They are both excellent ranges, I think your choice would depend on what period of the HYW you want to game. Frontrank covers the Crecy-Poitiers eras while Perries is focused on Agincourt onwards. I prefered Perries as they complement the Claymore Castings range and give a good range of variations for the period.Perries also have a full metal range in case you don't like the plastics.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
Here are my Perry Agincourt
The French are mostly metal but the English are the new plastics.
I really like the range.

More pictures here - about 1/3 down from the top.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/

LAF Project thread is here

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=78682.0

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:52:22 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Thanks,
If i would go for the Perry's, it would be 100% plastic. I'l think about it

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Go Perry.
 :)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
Front Rank
Pros = slightly larger, deeper cut figures that are easy to paint.
Cons = not much variety in the range

Perry's
Pros = plastics (therefore cheaper and lighter), much greater variety in pose and type
Cons = a little harder to paint

I went Front a Rank for Wars of the Roses because I use the metal as the armour colour and with so much white armour it made for a faster paint job  :)

I'll go for Perry's/Claymore for the 100YW because I like the variety.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
If i would go for the Perry's, it would be 100% plastic. I'l think about it

Keep in mind that currently the Perry plastic range consists only of infantry sets.

Thus, if you want to field cavalry, you will either need to use their metals, or wait until they will do a plastic cavalry set as part of the range.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Perry all the way
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Re" Thus, if you want to field cavalry, you will either need to use their metals, or wait until they will do a plastic cavalry set as part of the range."

I am sure that by the time you have painted all the infantry, the cavalry sets will be available. lol

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »
They are both excellent ranges, I think your choice would depend on what period of the HYW you want to game. Front Rank covers the Crecy-Poitiers eras while Perries is focused on Agincourt onwards.

Yes. It may seem too precise but there are many interesting differences between the early HYW (where troops still have a somewhat feudal appearance and organisation) and the mid- and late HYW (which is a bit more ..."modern").

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
It is very difficult, it would be skirmish, 50-100 a side and solo gaming. Do the perry metal mix well with the plastic? I love the Front Rank early HYW, but i think there personality sets are from Agincourt. I'm also tempted with the perry's plastic War of the Roses range and all in plastic. I prefer metal but painted metal figures are fragile and plastic not! Claymore miniatures are expensive compare to the perry's and Front Rank, i find them more beautiful than the perry's and Front Rank. The problem is also that i have not a great budget, 150-200£.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
The Perry metals should fit in well with their plastics. You could use the plastics for the bulk of the troops, and add any of the metals that you like the look of for characters or just to mix it up a bit.

Here's another option though - what about the last few years of the HYW? 1449-1453. This will see the French on the offensive as they kick the English back home!
For this timeframe you could use the Perry WOTR range. And if you just want plastics, there are 5 to choose from, which will let you billmen, longbowmen, crossbowmen, handgunners, pikemen, mounted men at arms, dismounted men at arms and light cavalry.
Also interesting is that at this time the French army had modernised, and featured pretty much all the troops just listed in some way or another, including longbowmen,

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:24 AM »
Indeed, that opens another interesting option! Thanks

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
The problem is also that i have not a great budget, 150-200£.

Is this all for the figures, or is it also supposed to cover rules and terrain purchases?

Perry plastics can be had for around £18 per box if you look around, so you could get quite a lot of them for that budget.

The recommendation that Charlie made about the late war (1449-1453) and using the WotR figure range is also very valid, and that way you could also get plastic cavalry. If you are interested in this part of the war, there is also a very good Osprey campaign book (The Fall of English France) released a few years ago that might be worth getting.

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
It is very difficult, will keep a little bit thinking. I love the early medieval look. The plastic perry WOR boxes are tempting, but i haven't seen them in real, but suppose the sculpts are good. From some people i heard that the plastic HYW are not as beautiful as their WOR?
I'm not a bad painter, do the plastics paint good. If i'm right i noticed when reading about the HYW that English had a lot of archers and less infantry? I want to make skirmish forces with everything present ( men-at-arms, missile troops, infantry and some cavalry)