Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:18:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

moiterei_1984 - No pasaràn II
Dolmot – Captain Collins and crew

Author Topic: Round 5 No pasaràn II vs. Captain Collins and crew  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Round 5 No pasaràn II vs. Captain Collins and crew
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:18:00 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Round 5 No pasaràn II vs. Captain Collins and crew
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
I think that's one of the cleverest uses of terrain and perspective that I've ever seen in the LPL, Dolmot. Lovely painting too.

And the usual, wonderful, subtle brushwork on Moiterei's SCW entry.

I think this one may be quite close.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
Agreed, Dolmot - how did you do that? It looks like a painting or a photograph!

And the realism of both entries makes it near impossible to choose between them. Simply wow on this pairing. Love them both!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
I feel like I need to apologise for not being able to vote for one of these entries. Both are great LPL examples.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
Both top notch entries here painters!

I really like the fact that the mortar and machine gun teams fit into the 'crew' theme, that's really great. Excellently painted as well of course!

Those sailors are also fantastic with nice clean lines and great faces. The terrain set up is really great also! I am very impressed by the forced-perspective sea in the background. It really does look like it goes off to the horizon! Also, the shape of the water and the color of the photo itself gives me a real sense that it's lightly drizzling.

Great stuff,
n

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »

I really like the fact that the mortar and machine gun teams fit into the 'crew' theme

That's a good point. But alas, the theme is 'Ship's crew' :(

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
That's a good point. But alas, the theme is 'Ship's crew' :(

Ah, my mistake :) Good thing I didn't think of it myself and then submit an invalid crew!

Still, both great entries.

thanks
n

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
I think this one may be quite close.

Well predicted, Captain. It was a tight match.

Agreed, Dolmot - how did you do that? It looks like a painting or a photograph!

It is a photograph. Of painted items. That's in the rules. lol

(I'm here all week.)

OK, seriously... Is it magic? Is it stage magic? Done with mirrors? The possibly surprising revelation is that while people tend to assume trickery, very little is involved here. The correct answer is that it's just a deep setup.

The crucial part is a 130 cm long strip of textured plastic film, intended for window frosting. I've used it before in coastal games and once in an LPL entry. Back then I found the "open sea" view too problematic, thus I settled for a using the quay as a hard edge, but some pig-headed determination made me try the original plan again while expecting different results. However, this second attempt was helped by my recent move to a new apartment, which can accommodate a massive gaming table. Definitely more convenient for building deep scenes (including the far away backdrops and space for the camera) than crawling on the floor. :)

So, it's no more special than placing the sheet over suitably blue-green t-shirts. Because the sheet was stored rolled up, some large "waves" were already present without any special effort, thus I left them there. The whole setup was lifted a bit (with standard-sized board game boxes) so that I could bend the far end just a little bit down to fade the horizon line. By using f/13.0, no more, no less, I got just enough depth for about 5 cm of sharp focus for the minis while blurring the foreground a bit and the background a lot. This kind of limited depth is often handy for, well, focussing on the entry, but in this case it was even essential. Otherwise the truth about actual depth - large yet finite - would become obvious.

Everything else in the pic is just resin bits and a 40 cm deep harbour piece I had built for games some years go. That's how far away the boat and the shack really are, the latter partially supported by an extra padding piece not visible in the shot. The ripple sheet is just 46 cm wide so I had to adjust the angles quite carefully to have a complete horizon for this frame.

There's only ambient light, combined with ten seconds of exposure to get the flat lighting resembling a late and/or overcast setting.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "making of" shot of this setup. Sometimes I've taken those as well, because the total chaos beginning immediately outside of the frame (and often already between any obstructing pieces) is kind of hilarious. Here it involves board game boxes, t-shirt sleeves, sheet ends held down with random resin pieces, and a warehouse floating halfway on thin air, but when you don't see it, the illusion of an infinite world is strong. :)

Maybe it is trickery, after all, but so are most TV shows and movie scenes too...

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
Excellent painting and stage dressing Dolmot! A well deserved win I'd say.

@all: Thanks for the encouraging comments. And in fact I didn't think about the 'crew' bonus round. Wouldn't have had any suitable miniatures anyway.