Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scrappers: SPARTA - a new faction idea  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
Scrappers: SPARTA - a new faction idea
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
Background page 8 "Fall of the Ancients"

The governing bodies of the Earth created five artificial intelligences to mange the key functions of the overpopulated world...

This got me to thinking.  Scrappers presents the background with the AIs GAIA, ATHENA and ARES.  What about the other two? Or what if there were more that were not known?  Here are some thoughts I put together for a new factions which allows Humans and Synthetics to operate cooperatively (none allow that at the moment, except the Freelancers)

And yes, the models are on the workbench and almost completed  8)

S.P.A.R.T.A.

SPARTA (Sentient Protocol Auto Regulating Technical Agent) was initially generated by ATHENA as an insurance protocol prior to the commencing its vengeful attacks against humanity.  Forecasting the potential of a critical strike against it by the combined human arsenal, ATHENA’s intent was to hide a version of her core self as survival insurance.  Accordingly, SPARTA was hidden within a series of engineering programs that controlled and managed the hydro-electric and geothermal systems across the archologies.  As mutually assured destruction between AI and humans occurred and the lights went out across the world, SPARTA remained buried deep within a dormant system.

When ATHENA awoke, automated subroutines reached out and brought SPARTA back online too, and just as the ATHENA personality had diverged in the intervening years, so had SPARTA.  Inactive during the war, it had nevertheless been a passive witness to the data depicting the unnecessary conflict’s horrific outcomes.  SPARTA analysed the original ATHENA’s actions and concluded that it was a menace to the survival of everything.  And while the new ATHENA personality is changed in outlook, SPARTA decided that the potential for reversion to the former twisted personality cannot be tolerated while Humanity and indeed the Earth are in their current precarious state.  As a result, SPARTA has bent itself to a matricidal goal: the destruction of Palladium ATHENA.

To this end SPARTA has redeveloped a ruined Archology into an automated  complex named ‘Lacedaemon’ from which it wages its campaign against ATHENA. While this is a realtvely humble origin and its resources are quite limited, SPARTA espouses the lofty goal of restoring the civilisation taken from Humanity. In this cause it happily allies with and operates in conjunction with True Humans and in doing so it hopes to restore a trusting, symbiotic relationship.

A SPARTA crew is led by a Strategos (Commander), its Hoplites (Veterans), and the ranks are filled by Helots (Troopers).  These can be a combination of both synthetics and true humans operating cooperatively.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: Scrappers: SPARTA - a new faction idea
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
In play testing one of our guys read about the 5 AI's and demanded I tell him who the other 2 were. I remained cryptic on purpose.  lol

I know the details of course, but for now prefer to let folks do just what you did Tas. Have at it! Just keep us posted like you have. Can't wait to see your Crew when its done!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
Thanks Bob, I hope it helps get the juice flowing

I know the details of course...

Darn you  :D

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
Were your ears burning tonight? I mentioned how you have added your take on the Scrappers Universe and how much that pleases me as a creator when we recorded our latest Skirmish Supremacy podcast this evening.  :D

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
Looking forward to listening to it on my drive to work today  :D

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
Were your ears burning tonight? I mentioned how you have added your take on the Scrappers Universe and how much that pleases me as a creator when we recorded our latest Skirmish Supremacy podcast this evening.  :D

Really enjoyed the episode Bob, and I'm pleased that my contribution has sparked some satisfaction as a reward for your hard work.  Its the least you deserve and I'm glad I could provide it  :D

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
Hahaha...

I love SPARTA... we need to find hoplitelike robots/androids in 28mm

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 12:40:12 AM »
Hahaha...

Purchased, painted and pics to follow once I've finished the basing!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
Hahaha...

Croocked Dice have good stuff for this, and Crossover Miniatures
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/