Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:26:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691046
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First BMP  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: First BMP
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
Great advice, folks!

Chris - how did you know I had color perception issues?  Is it obvious from my painting...?

I seem t recall we had a similar discussion some years ago - I don't know the specifics anymore, but I think you mentioned it would be helpful to use specific colour references (e.g. for Vallejo codes).

I agree that for dusting and weathering, especially in a very dry and dusty climate, chalky tones are the way to go. I would suggest though to use lighter shades to actually highlight a colour area and use the chalky, dusty stuff only sparingly for highlighting and weathering. I'll put up some other pics of 'dusted' vehicles later on.

I'm sorry if it comes across as patronizing, which is not my intention, mind.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »
I'm sorry if it comes across as patronizing, which is not my intention, mind.
I must have missed something.  I fail to see anything even remotely patronizing, Chris.   ;)

I'm thankful for your painting lessons and impressed you remember that thread from ages ago about my strange color perception.

Offline Catullus

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »
That makes perfect sense, Erik. Here is the UK we get a little of every kind of weather! If you are surrounded by the same kind of weather all the time, it is naturally going to influence your thinking.
Bloggy blog blog: www.nerdlard.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Happy Matt

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 11:07:37 PM »
One thing I am realizing is that I see things like a desert. 

Partially, I'm sure, because of my country being at war in the desert for the past 15+ years, but also because I live in California which is, technically, a desert.  We have very little green around here.  This winter is the first time we got any serious rain in 6 years.  The drought has been a serious problem - especially with farmers.

When I go for walks around the marshlands it's still brown, dry bushes and weeds, some gray or tan stones, there is green but only in spots.  Things are dry and scuffs on cars, tires, shoes, and the like, are basically Bleached Bone drybrush, so to speak. 

So different from when I lived in Germany and Austria where white, gray and green were the colors, and weathering on real items was usually mud and wet marks. 

These are totally different and affect how I see and paint things.  Go figure.

I grew up in Las Vegas and fully understand this. I remember being on a train in England and just staring out the window at all this green. It really is different.