Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brush-on black primer/undercoat  (Read 10507 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Brush-on black primer/undercoat
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Laborious I know, but these old eyes need as much help as possible.   :)

"Daylight" lamps/bulbs.

Optivisor

Decent black primer... ;)

Seriously though, for me it's after the primer has dried that I see even more detail than I did with the bare metal.  Interesting  how different painters work.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Thinking about what Svennn has just said - why isn't acrylic paint a primer?

Sure, it isn't its main purpose, but primers for miniatures usually work by shrinking as they dry, creating the mechanical bond to the mini and a layer on which the colours your actually want for the miniature will with bind with.  Maybe is doesn't shrink as much as gesso does, but that doesn't prevent acrylics being effective as a primer, as a good amount of anecdotal evidence would suggest.

Not trying to be confrontational, you understand.  I just want to understand your reasoning, OT?

Well that's true all three paints I have used shrink to reveal the detail  :)

Why would I want to rub my figure to make sure the paint doesn't rub off?  o_o

I stick to washer , fill in the base, attach to old paint pot with blue tack, never touch figure again, so paint all colours, then base then varnish then finish. If i base or photograph after taking the figure off pot I handle very carefully.

dodge

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »

If I use a "weak" primer it might lift at some future point and destroy the painting. Hence the testing.

Apart from my own collection I occasionally sell or exchange my painted figures so I must ensure that the new owners are getting good VFM and there is no risk of the paintjob "lifting" at some future point.

Just as with painting the woodwork at my home, no amount of varnishing will protect surfaces that have not been properly prepared and primed/undercoated.  (I'm not just painting figures here.  I'm creating works of art  ;) )

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

If I use a "weak" primer it might lift at some future point and destroy the painting. Hence the testing.

Apart from my own collection I occasionally sell or exchange my painted figures so I must ensure that the new owners are getting good VFM and there is no risk of the paintjob "lifting" at some future point.

Just as with painting the woodwork at my home, no amount of varnishing will protect surfaces that have not been properly prepared and primed/undercoated.  (I'm not just painting figures here.  I'm creating works of art  ;) )

Point taken , I bow to your greater knowledge  :)

I'm not trying to create any argument here,

Agreed that your figures are a work of art  8)

dodge

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »

Point taken , I bow to your greater knowledge  :)

I'm not trying to create any argument here,

Agreed that your figures are a work of art  8)

dodge

Never thought you were creating arguments my friend.  We are all just discussing.  :)
And my knowledge isn't greater - that's why I'm asking.  I am genuinely interested in the fact that so many painters are using "ordinary" paint as primer.  And only recently I saw a terrific painter from New Zealand in a WIP thread who doesn't use any primer at all  :o Just a thin ink wash.

Agreed that your figures are a work of art  I was joking.  Thanks for the compliment though  :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »
.......... I am genuinely interested in the fact that so many painters are using "ordinary" paint as primer.  And only recently I saw a terrific painter from New Zealand in a WIP thread who doesn't use any primer at all  :o Just a thin ink wash.

Its just easier for me to prep and paint it on and its ok haven't had any lift ups, bubbles for ages unlees I drop unvarnished figs, which I did the other day  >:(

No primer just an ink wash is strange  ??? but then if works it works.........

dodge

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »
Just bought and am trying this stuff - Plasti-kote Fast dry enamel (B2 Flat Black) - it was 5.80 Euro in a DIY for 59ml.  It is touch dry in 15 mins.  The mini is white metal, the cacti is plastic. It went on very easily.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say