Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seeking information on Buganda 1880-1894  (Read 1099 times)

Offline S.H.H

• Schoolboy
Seeking information on Buganda 1880-1894
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Hello, long time lurker, just joined the forum looking for knowledge from those here well-heeled in East Africa. After reading Thomas Pakenham's Scramble for Africa, I became intrigued by the political intrigue between the Kabaka Mwanga, Lugard, the Royal Court, and the sundry rogues who sought to control the Bugandan throne. I'm interested in beginning a miniature project based on the wars of the Kingdom of Buganda right before annexation by the British. I would love recommendations for any books on the subject and advice as to the appearance to what Bugandan warriors looked like in the late 1880s. I understand that some took up Swahili influences, and some wore a sort of "toga" robe draped over their left shoulder? Any contemporary images would be particularly helpful, as my google skills have failed me this far.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Seeking information on Buganda 1880-1894
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »
There are a couple of Baganda figures available to my knowledge, the Foundry Mtesa and one of his amazons.

His toga would have been bark-cloth, and as such should really be an orangy-brown. Unfortunately, these figures aren't of much use to you. The amazons didn't continue into the 1880s, and by then Baganda nobles were indistinguishable from Swahili Arabs. They had totally adopted their fashions. By the 1890s, it was reported that even the rank and file were dressed in white Arab-style shirts and robes.

Earlier they had worn bark-cloth togas, but it seems they swapped them for loincloths to actually fight. Shields were of an oval shape, pointed at the top and bottom, and made of wickerwork. They were quite small. They painted their bodies for battle in white and red, or red, white and black stripes. By the 1880s almost the whole army would have been gun-armed, but it is said they continued to carry spears and shields as a back-up. The spears were long and broad-bladed, but light. Warriors usually carried more than one, so they may have originally used them for skirmishing, but once they had guns they were simply used as a backup in case it came to melee.

Speke's book on the discovery of the Nile has quite a few illustrations of the Baganda if you can find an illustrated edition. They are however from the 1860s, and I fear they had changed their appearance utterly by the 1880s, as Swahili fashion influences had affected them so much in the intervening years.

As always in these cases, I would recommend Chris Peers' book on East Africa published by Foundry, it has quite a bit of info on Buganda (and just about everyone else from the region).

A couple of images, of King Mtesa, and his army, to give you an idea what the bark-cloth mbuga robe looked like, though again, it was probably mostly out of fashion by the period you are interested in:

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
Just to give you an idea of how much their appearance changed, here is the same Mtesa later in his reign:

And his successor:

Offline S.H.H

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Thank you so much Plynkes! I suppose I'll have to seek out some Swahili appearing troops for both Mwanga and his brothers' households. Perhaps some robed and turbaned Askari then? Maybe I could get away with using some of those lovely Foundry Azande Auxiliaries with minor conversion. As for Lugard IIRC a column of Sudanese formerly under the command of Emin Pasha at Equatoria joined him at Kampala, so I was thinking of employing some Perry Bazingers to represent these. For Charles Stokes and his arms traders, could I perhaps employ some Ruga Ruga to represent a motley band of mercenary rogues?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
Yeah, I would use askari with turbans, and also perhaps some of the Zanzibaris, the ones with more African features. I think those Azande in uniforms would just about pass muster, too. You might want to throw in a few musketeers in loincloths. In the 1880s there still may have been a few still about.

I think the bazingers are a good idea for Lugard's Sudanese. Some of the Foundry befezzed and slightly more uniform askari might work too. This unit would go on to become the basis for the Uganda Rifles, and later on 4 and 5 KAR.

I have some pictures of those guys, if it helps...

The last one gives an idea of the colours. The uniform was dark blue jumper, white (quite short) trousers and a red fez. But lack of resupply and self-adornment ended up with them in all kinds of get-up, including brimmed hats, turbans, leopard-skin aprons, you name it. :)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »
They probably don't give the detailed information you're looking for (the Peers book would), but Buganda is and Mtesa are both covered in The White Nile by Moorhead, which, if you've never read it, is simply superb; all sorts of inspiration for games there.

Likewise, if you can find a copy* of Stanley's Into the Dark Continent the subject is covered there as well. If memory serves, Stanley quite liked the old fellow. Others thought he was a homicidal maniac.

* Folio came out with a gorgeous edition of this years ago. Well worth getting if you want to go all out! It pops up on e-bay frequently.

Best of luck with your project, and welcome to LAF!