Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 634
Total: 639

Recent

Author Topic: The War Around Lake Stanley an AK47 Campaign Thread  (Read 3832 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
The War Around Lake Stanley an AK47 Campaign Thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:35 AM »
This is the start of a campaign. Here is the position of three countries bordering Lake Stanley. If you are looking for this on a map of Africa it is of course somewhere in the middle, slightly South and a bit East.
The three countries are Growbostn, Zaio and Zumri.  There are areas of dispute between all 3 states, but at the present time Growbostn is busy with it's own internal affairs. For Zumri and Zaio however, the wedge of land between them separated by two rivers flowing into the lake has long been a source of tribal conflict going back generations, each claiming it as their own.

Without warning, the forces of Zumri have launched a pre-emptive invasion here at Kimlassa

Zumri has a fairly well equipped Blue Water navy, and the primary units involved were 3 light regiments of the Naval Brigade backed up by armored cars.

The equipment of the Zumri armoured car squadrons are British supplied and fairly modern

My forces of Zaio were unprepared for violence and especially not in this area. I was not able to prevent the landing and the local forces in the area were also lightly equipped:
Squadron of French supplied heavy armored cars

A defensive regular unit with 2 heavy mortars and RPGs

small scratch unit of Russian supplied BRDM

Militia unit

and another regular unit of infantry with a HMG

More next post!

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: The War Around Lake Stanley an AK47 Campaign Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
You have taken more photos of my AK47 stuff in one game than I have in 10 years. Thanks, but please members of the international press take note, Zumri did not start this war. The aggressor, it is clear, is the country that has recently & massively armed, and may I say over a very short period of time. Left unchecked who knows how big their military would become! Our security forces can confirm that most of their military supplies came from the East (Anglia) as we (the peaceful people of Zumri) allowed the armoured cars etc. to be delivered via (the sacred soil of) Zumri.

People of the world you can clearly see the real instigators of war here, and it is not Zumri.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
You have taken more photos of my AK47 stuff in one game than I have in 10 years. Thanks, but please members of the international press take note, Zumri did not start this war. The aggressor, it is clear, is the country that has recently & massively armed, and may I say over a very short period of time. Left unchecked who knows how big their military would become! Our security forces can confirm that most of their military supplies came from the East (Anglia) as we (the peaceful people of Zumri) allowed the armoured cars etc. to be delivered via (the sacred soil of) Zumri.

People of the world you can clearly see the real instigators of war here, and it is not Zumri.

As always, the smooth tongued Propaganda of Zumri seeks to twist the truth. Yes, we have been forced to arm ourselves rapidly for the coming conflict. We are a small country surrounded by enemies. It is true that our military equipment was bought second hand from Norwich in a deal brokered by the government of Zumri. However, the incidence of mechanical breakdowns in the armoured cars leads us to suspect they have been sabotaged to fail at critical moments!
Civilized citizens of the world, please do not listen to the Government of Zumri.
They are eaters of the Sacred Porcupine and can therefore not be trusted.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Good narrative & cool minis, I look forward to more instalments.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Be careful of the Zumri arms dealers. I have dealt with them in the past….very dodgy.
Flatpack

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »
 :D

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
The people of Ukuechana offer are condolences to both sides, hope the violence will end quickly and that are countries embassies are left alone. 

Nice looking miniatures and can't wait to see more. 

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Be careful of the Zumri arms dealers. I have dealt with them in the past….very dodgy.

And yet the tea is very good...When does the Government of Growbostn think it may intervene? And on which side?

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »
Just like any good African government, the leaders of Growbostn will support any nation that's in trouble.......of course cash would need to change hands  lol :o

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
A few pics of the table..
A view looking south towards Kimlassa along the Khosi/Kimlassa railway line..

Ariel view

Marshland west of the railway.

There was a small supply depot to the south east.  

The crossroads, overlooked by Bongo's Rock

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:05:53 PM by vodkafan »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
OK on with the actual game. For those not familiar with the rules, there is a pre-game ritual of political dicing. I didn't get much out of this but my opponent was able to upgrade one of his marine regiments with two extra mortars, so he had 4 mortars!
After that there is dicing to see which units we actually got onto the table at the start. This is interesting and fun because it is completely random. We both only managed to start with two units each, an infantry unit and armoured car Squadron. I accepted this as being quite realistic; Zumri is pushing forward as soon as possible from the beachhead with what he has ready and I as Zaio need to have time to get my defences organised. That made it quite exciting already.
As the attacker, my opponent chose his 3 objectives, and declared them, although I didn't know which was his main one and what may be of lesser importance or even a diversion.
I decided I must defend the supply depot which meant my infantry unit and mortars.

My armoured cars I deployed along the road.

This meant leaving the railway line and everything west of the road uncontested, but I hoped that the marshland and river would provide a natural obstacle and slow his advance.
I was pretty confident. I had one more armoured car more than him.  

Here he comes!

His first regiment of naval infantry supported by a HMG

He begins crossing the river and advancing his troops

I don't actually do anything on the first turn because I don't want to commit myself.
As it happens, my opponent doesn't manage to get all his AFVs across the river, so to keep unit cohesion his advance is slowed

2nd turn I begin to move my armored cars off the road

I also mortar his armoured cars and he shells me with his 76mm guns, killing one base of troops.  :( First blood to Zumri

3rd turn
His infantry begin to cross the river. I intend to make them pay for the privilege. My guns and MGs take out his HMG and another base.

Bad news is he gets his whole armoured car unit over the river. I lose a precious EBR75 in short order.

I move my two RPG bases up to the road as a forward Anti-armour screen and one base is lost immediately

His naval infantry are tough. Undeterred by losses they bring the fight to me. A second a/car is lost. Bugger!

At least I have the satisfaction of staining the river red with his soldier's blood

The rules allow to dice for reinforcements from turn 3 onwards. I desperately needed some but didn't get any. Zumri got a second infantry unit.

Turn 4 his Naval infantry are still coming on. The squadron commander's AFV is knocked out and I pull back my remaining vehicle.

His Saladins are slipping through

I desperately fire with everything I have got. Between my RPGs and mortars and small arms I manage to knock out two of them.

But now his second unit of infantry come on from behind me.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:03:44 PM by vodkafan »

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
Hello sailor  :o

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »
The fresh Naval Infantry attack my half exhausted troops. I lose a mortar straight away.

The fight for this supply depot will last 3 full turns. It is a vicious struggle to the death. These Africans hate each other. Where is the Brotherhood of Man?

In the meantime elsewhere my armoured car destroys his last Saladin but is destroyed in turn by the enemy infantry.

Around turn 7  I finally get some reinforcements! A unit of regular infantry. I rush them up the road but it's going to take some time to get them into action.

Too late for the troops defending the supply dump.

More Zumri troops come on this time from the North. This Naval Infantry unit have 4 mortars and a HMG

Bongo's Rock is an enemy strategic objective so I start to dig in on it.

It's all over at the supply dump. Despite their losses, my troops kept passing their morale tests so it was not an easy win for Zumri and my boys fought to the last man.

My opponent pulls his original Naval Infantry unit back to Muna's Rock, which is another objective. But at the end of the turn I force them to take a morale test which they fail, so have to withdraw. That means all 4 units who started the battle are now gone.

Here are the final Zumri reinforcements.

The enemy infantry who took the supply dump have to split and trek to Muna's Rock so as to occupy both.

My infantry on the Bongo's Rock are taking fire from two directions

But despite 3 turns of mortaring I keep passing my morale tests. No way am I coming off this hill.

The game went to 11 turns. This is the situation at the end of the game. It was a technical win for Zumri. I failed to throw my enemy back into the Lake Stanley and he now has a foothold in Zaio. He won two objectives out of three and we both lost two units.

I never got these two units into action

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »
All comments welcome!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
The people of Ukuechana offer are condolences to both sides, hope the violence will end quickly and that are countries embassies are left alone. 

Nice looking miniatures and can't wait to see more. 

Thanks gimzod! But looks like this was only the first battle in a long struggle...