Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691106
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review of the GW Sector Mechanicus Galvanic Servohaulers  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Review of the GW Sector Mechanicus Galvanic Servohaulers
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
Just received from GW today, tightly packed in a narrow box.
I haven't constructed it yet, so it's a first impression.

The kit includes 3 vehicles - the mobile tractor and dozer, and the largest of the three, the crane, which is not self-propelled but can be towed by the tractor. There's also the by now famous fire extinguisher and a very nicely detailed open tool box included as extras.

The tractor and dozer have around eight parts each and are a quick build.
The tracks are distinct from the body, and anyone with a penchant for conversion can quickly notice the potential to use alternative wheels here, although matching them to the main body is not straightforward. There is a distinct potential for making other Imperial vehicles from these - and possibly use them as parts for a Genestealer limo build.

These have a small number of alternative parts which go on top of the vehicle, including the grabber and what seems to be a drill mounted on an arm, as well as a variety of antennae.

Deskulling:
If you're not into skulls, these can be removed. The largest pair are on the tractor wheels - not easy to remove as they have a high relief, but not impossible - they could also be covered by a disc serving as a wheel hub. Another much smaller pair are located n the base of the drill which can go on either of the two of these vehicles - these can be filed off. The most difficult to remove is on the control panel at the rear of the dozer, a sort of altar style panel with a skull in the middle. This is relatively flat in profile, and could be covered, but is not ostentatious and can be left in place without being too noticable.

The crane is bigger than the others. It shares one item, an antenna on top of its drive motor, with the options for the other vehicles, and also offers a choice of a large grabber or a much smaller hook. It has a nice, structural feel to it, all girders with some hydraulic lines and pistons. It towers over the other vehicles, and offers a very interesting opportunity: it can be mounted on the ground (or on top of a building or a ship or train or large vehicle - tons of potential here) on a platform; alternatively, the platform and crane can be mounted on a long, low trailer which can be towed by the tractor. If left off the trailer, this leaves the latter available to carry other stuff of course! And judging by appearances, I'm guessing it may be left open to both options if not actually glued to the trailer.

Deskulling:
There are two small skulls in the crane's fixed frame which can be easily covered. Removal is less easy as they are partially recessed, but not impossible. The main problem is the large skull at the top of the crane jib. It's about 15mm high, and central to the crane mechanism, so omitting and replacing it is not straightforward. It can be built or sculpted over, again not straightforward but easier to do. To be fair, it doesn't look bad at all in place, and compared to other 40k stuff the skull to surface ratio is very mild.

The instructions are clear and come with a scenario in which the three components are objectives with toughness, woulds and a save. Mind you, as an engineer I'd probably have made off with the toolbox instead... yes, it is a nice little addition to the set.

No transfers, and very little space to place any. Painting this should be fun, with lots of relief. The detail is there, but it doesn't look overdone and gives a quite realistic retro industrial look.

Verdict: I think I'm in love with this kit  :-*

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Review of the GW Sector Mechanicus Galvanic Servohaulers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
Thanks for the review; very helpful. 8)

I was only obliquely aware of the set, and the prices of the other terrain sets had already scared me away, but this one actually seems good value for money. It looks to be very versatile.

I think I will be adding this to my wishlist... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
How's the plastic quality?  The online review vids I've seen emphasized the fact that they were made in China and how iffy the quality control on previous GW-China efforts have been, but these are kids doing the vids and I'd like the take of a more experienced modeler.  I take it yours were fine?

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:26 AM »
I don't know specifically about this kit but in the last 21 months I've bought a ton of GW plastic kits, probably retail more than $3,000 worth and I've never had any problem with any of the plastic. 

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
If these kits come from the same manufacturer as the Shadow War Armageddon terrain the plastic will be fine. If it's the same guys who made the Magewrath Throne I'll be mighty disappointed. That kit was horrible. Worst plastic since Sedition Wars.   

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Looks quite good to me - as I said I haven't assembled it yet, but no sign of distortion or flash, and the material seems t be the stuff which is typical for most GW products I have bought - very good quality.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
Looks quite good to me - as I said I haven't assembled it yet, but no sign of distortion or flash, and the material seems t be the stuff which is typical for most GW products I have bought - very good quality.

That's a relief. I was so looking forward to getting these as it is, so your review is super-helpful. Thank you. (I especially enjoyed the de-skullification report.)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
That's a relief. I was so looking forward to getting these as it is, so your review is super-helpful. Thank you. (I especially enjoyed the de-skullification report.)

I felt I just had to include it! I should also have added a disclaimer - I might have missed any other small skulls, although I don't think it's the case - but you never know!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
I went back to check as I suddenly realised I hadn't really looked all over for flash - there is a little bit of flash on the tractr tracks, and some on a few other pieces, but nothing which cannot be removed easily.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
Worst plastic since Sedition Wars.   

Aaaah!!!!  Don't mention that name!

Never been so glad I unloaded a KS product the week I got it.  What a nightmare.