Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689823
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Troll Forged Assimilation Alien Host figs painted (Kickstarter Host added 6/24)  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Finally getting some paint on the figures from the Troll Forged Games Kickstarter from back in 2012.

These are among the smallest figures in the range, the basic alien grub on 30mm Reaper bases.

As you can see by the poor Neo-Soviet rad trooper here, they're still about man-sized.

There appear to be six different head variants, and (maybe?  I just grabbed a random sample for test paints) about that many body sculpts, all cross-compatible.

Cast in "troll forged plastic" which is very light and probably some kind of restic, although it's much less annoying to work with than the Mantic variety (not that they required much cleanup work anyway, they were pretty clean outside of needing some pour spouts clipped).

They're a pleasure to paint up and nicely varied, and should work well for fantasy and horror gaming as well as their intended use a scifi alien nasties.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:20:08 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Troll Forged Assimilation Alien Host Grubs painted up
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Very nice. I have a tonne of that stuff to paint up myself. Was there very much mold release that required cleaning from it?
I have the dreadnoughts undercoated from it (I think I got 4 in total by the end) and Just need to decide on a colour scheme.
I'm keen to see more of the big stuff painted up.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
Very nice. Gives new meaning to the phrase "Stand-up Bug hunt"

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »
Very nice. I have a tonne of that stuff to paint up myself. Was there very much mold release that required cleaning from it?
I have the dreadnoughts undercoated from it (I think I got 4 in total by the end) and Just need to decide on a colour scheme.
I'm keen to see more of the big stuff painted up.

This batch didn't require it, but some of the other figs are pretty slippery and are getting a bath overnight to get the release agent off.

I'll get around to more stuff eventually, although they're a low-priority side project for me.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »
Wow...those look great. Thank for sharing. I bet they will be a lot of fun to use in many types of games.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
A few more done, with the larger Kickstarter exclusive death grub on a 45mm base as a leader/Momma fig.

Pretty large, although still dwarfed by many of the other alien host stuff.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Cracking paintjobs on those - they look suitably icky and organic!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »
Excellent work on them. I suspect they could be useful for a wide variety of things.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
As I said earlier, there are some models in the KS project that dwarf the exclusive grub, and here's the first of them:

That's the "Wyrm" model, seen here with a couple of the small grubs and the usual hapless Vor Neo-Sov Rad Trooper for scale.

Stands just under 4" tall, and fits comfortably on a Reaper 60mm base.

Comes in 14 pieces IIRC, including a separate head, the side mandibles, and the tentacles.

I took some liberties with the build, since I liked the longer clawed-limb bits better up on the head as extra mouthparts than down in the lower body sockets (now filled with some trimmed down tentacles) where the concept art places them.

Had to drill some new sockets for them, but the plastic makes that sort of job trivial.

There were a few mold lines to clean up, but other than that rep was minimal and everything went together easily.

All in all a pretty great miniature, and (allowing for my personal changes) very close to the art from the KS page.  Kind of wish I'd grabbed a couple more of them when I had the chance, they're probably going to be more than the $20 KS price when they hit retail.  I shudder to think what GW would charge for a Tyranid beastie this size.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice. And this is one of the smaller big models!
Shifting the parts looks like a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of the dreadlocks on this one though (sculpting, not painting)

You made me get out all my ones from the kickstarter and start degreasing them. I've even made a start on a walker.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Very nice. And this is one of the smaller big models!
Shifting the parts looks like a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of the dreadlocks on this one though (sculpting, not painting)

Ah, you remind me, it's actually 15 parts - the "dreads" are separate as well.  I had quite a time figuring out where they were actually supposed to fit onto the model, and after finding out by checking the master image on the KS page I gave serious consideration to leaving them off.  There's detail beneath them, and I agree that they don't add a lot to the model.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
And the first of the non-wormy stuff:

Carnage Hound.

Biggish model mounted on a 60mm base, see here alongside a variety of other figs.

Comes in 7 pieces IIRC, and a bit of a pig to assemble.  The limbs aren't especially well keyed, and it required a fair amount of putty to conceal the joins.

It's also not very close to the original concept art sketch, although for the most part I think it's an improvement aesthetically.

Quite a nice model when finished up, and very alien in appearance.

Think it makes a fine Deathworld predator for 40K roleplaying or Kill Team/Necromundageddon gaming, amongst other things.

And a random lot of Swarm Adults, human-sized figures on 30mm bases.

Single piece castings, fairly basic designs.

Weirdly, the best out-of-scifi use I can think of for them is as Sylvaneth Dryad proxies in Age of Sigmar.

They've got a mix (at least in this paint scheme) of plant and insect that sort of fits with the creepy AoS Don't-Call-Us-Wood-Elves sculpts.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:22:53 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
The Carnage hound looks better than the art.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Very cool.  Always up for some space gribblies.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!