Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Run through the jungle. Pt. 2  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Run through the jungle. Pt. 2
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
The sheer volume of the aliens streamin' from their underground lair made this recon mission turn into a fight for survival before you say bob's yer uncle. The commandoes had to do something and do it fast. The first thimg was to divide the team into fireteams that each had their specific task. The two-man teams started moving quickly and alternately and firing into the other river bank with their highpowered rifles. By laying down some sustained and very accurate rifle firing the opponent was slowed as they had to move from cover to cover. On top of that the sniper, not a commandoe but a marine on detachment, due to him being in an elevated position, was able to inflict some heavy damage on the aliens. But the advantage had to be taken and that meant moving across to the other side, capturing and securing the bridge. Easier said than done.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Re: Run through the jungle. Pt. 2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »
Indeed. Looking at the photos i am realy happy that i choose the Void 1.1 commandoes from Scotia Grendel. They are excellent miniatures with various details and quite easy to paint. ;-)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
Indeed. And then there the jungle. The first picture is very 'atmospheric' and just the way i like it. Just dense jungle, or the idea of ...... ;-)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Indeed. The problem with modules is that ...... well .... you have modules which leave space between it. The question is how to fill those up. :-)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
Indeed. You have a point there. Does any of you gents know or use a good method to fill up the spaces between modules. Anyway, the basic coloer has to change. And then? Perhaps ....... small rocks or gravel? Or lots moss ..... substituting for brushwood and such. ;-)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
One way is scatter terrain.  Modules gives the impression of large things you have to work your way around, when often the figures should be embedded in the terrain. Branches, low rocks, termite mounds etc help to provide light cover.

3D base board - dry river beds for models to use as cover, or to move without being spotted.  Hills work the same way - easy to climb over but disrupt line of sight.

"modules" of terrain that provide lighter cover but encourage figures to get in.  A circle of rocks to set up a command post, or a stand of elephant grass to hide in.

Real-world jungle boards often have a mix of terrain - trails, roads, villages, paddy fields, swamps, waterfalls.

Dense, virgin jungle should be hell to live in, move through and fight in.  Humid and hot, no lines of sight, your equipment rusting and clothes rotting off your body, rashes and bugs.  You can find yourself walking on a "mat of branches 20ft above the forest floor without even realising it.  And all that's before you meet the local wildlife...

Nice report, by the way!

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Indeed. And thank you Momotaro for your input. It is greatly appreciated. And yes you are quite right. Scatter terrain is what my jungle needs so the troops can get in there and ambush them critters!-). However, i am not that worried 'bout line of sight as i think that from the top of a hill you have excellent line of sight. Jungle is nice and neutral as somebody once wrote. But the main focus should a play-able gametable. Seems i've some work to do. ;-)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
Indeed. Overall i am moderately pleased with my jungle terrain. My push to finish a sunstantial amount of greenery has been succesfull and i will continue to do so. There are still some big tree 'projects' that i want to realise as well as other jungle terrain. And i need to find a modus to blend the different modules together in a flexibel manner. Savvy? ;-)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Nice pics and report. I've been working on a lot of city/spaceship stuff just lately but have my eye on that GW alien jungle terrain and was thinking about a couple of sets of that as the basis for a jungle table.  It is probably a project for this winter though.  Your pics have reinvigorated my interest in it. 

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Indeed. And thank you for the input. Not a fan of GW but what! They have alien jungle terrain?  :o o_o