Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TYW Imperialist Pikemen  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Re: TYW Imperialist Pikemen
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Willie: thanks very much. The conversions are mainly done by professional sculptors. I sometimes do odd bits, like head swaps and heightening a figure which is going to be dressed in a cassock, but nothing more.

Here are a few musketeers

Paul,

For the first time in a long time I have a feeling of envy those are absolutely stunning did you direct the poses or did you leave that to the sculptors??
More pics please this is great inspiration.

Best

Willie

You've smashed it Paul outstanding.

Willie
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:33:43 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
Willie: thanks very much. I guess I've been using professional sculptors for conversions like this now for about 7 or 8 years. When I started out, my brief would be that I wanted a unit standing around doing nothing or a unit marching casually or whatever, and I'd send some figures which I thought could be converted, and then I'd leave it to the sculptor. Now I think I have a bit better idea of what is available, what I want and what can be achieved and so I'm a bit more involved. Having figures in cassocks helps hugely, by the way, giving much more scope, because there can be anything underneath the cassock, and you'd never know. A few of my cavalry started life as Napoleonics!
What I have had from the start is a good idea of the look I wanted from the painters. I wanted to get away from the smart, parade ground, Changing of the Guard look to a look which is more like how I imagine soldiers would have had in the field - like they've slept rough for a while. The idea behind this unit is that it is in everyday clothes, except that some figures are in a uniform cassock - brown with a red cross like a figure in the painting on the cover of Stephane Thion's book 'Rocroi 1643'. I think Andrew has captured this look beautifully. 

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
These are terrific.   :)  Each and every base is like a stand-alone vignette.  Very impressive.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
Those bored-while-waiting-for-action poses are a lot of fun!

-Michael

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »
Fantastic.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
Excellent conversions and paintings! Unbelievable reality! As if you are looking at a painting of that period!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
Willie: thanks very much. I guess I've been using professional sculptors for conversions like this now for about 7 or 8 years. When I started out, my brief would be that I wanted a unit standing around doing nothing or a unit marching casually or whatever, and I'd send some figures which I thought could be converted, and then I'd leave it to the sculptor. Now I think I have a bit better idea of what is available, what I want and what can be achieved and so I'm a bit more involved. Having figures in cassocks helps hugely, by the way, giving much more scope, because there can be anything underneath the cassock, and you'd never know. A few of my cavalry started life as Napoleonics!
What I have had from the start is a good idea of the look I wanted from the painters. I wanted to get away from the smart, parade ground, Changing of the Guard look to a look which is more like how I imagine soldiers would have had in the field - like they've slept rough for a while. The idea behind this unit is that it is in everyday clothes, except that some figures are in a uniform cassock - brown with a red cross like a figure in the painting on the cover of Stephane Thion's book 'Rocroi 1643'. I think Andrew has captured this look beautifully.  
  Paul
 Any more pics would love to see the rest.
Willie

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:48:55 AM by Anderson Collection »

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Willie: I don't have many more photos but here are a few more.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
Once again stunning never seen anyone's figures look so realistic the figure with the goblet is incredible   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
If memory serves me, he started life as a Perry Napoleonic Kutuzov figure. 

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
Had a look at the base figure incredible conversion you would never know. :-* :-*

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
A bit late to the party but this is seriously impressive stuff as everybody stated before - some of the best TYW miniatures I've ever seen.

I do remember some of them from the Steve Dean forum. If i'm not mistaken, this is your third infantry regiment : I recall the marching one in predominantly off-white/pale grey coats, a standing unit of (mostly) redcoats, and finally this regiment in brown cassocks. You should definitely consider an army shot when Andy's finished with the lot.   

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
Arthur: you've got a great memory. You're exactly right. I've now got 3 infantry regiments, and don't plan any more for a while. There are also a regiment of cuirassiers (not yet completed), some lighter cavalry (ditto) and a regiment of dragoons (not yet painted). Odd figures from the two cavalry units appeared on Steve's website. The sculptors are working on some further cavalry figures- a unit of harquebusiers and a unit light cavalry.
I'm afraid army shots are unlikely, but you never know.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
I'm going to have to go back through this thread when I have a few minutes to spare, but the civilians and farm animals are great, loads of character.

I need some civvies for my ECW/TYW setup, clearly...

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »
It'd be a shame for such a gorgeous collection of figures to not get photographed and shared. Even if it is for the rest of us just to be ridiculously jealous over them.