Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691304
  • Total Topics: 118385
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about Kimbu and Hehe  (Read 943 times)

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
Questions about Kimbu and Hehe
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »
Hi!
In the Hehe army list for DitC Kimbu warriors are mentioned, together with Gogo. About the Wagogo I have enough information from the Foundry book about East Africa but...any idea how the Kimbu could have looked like??

Regarding the Wahehe, I'm looking for advice for planing my army regarding the miniatures I can use...In the list seems like their only true warriors are these of the Wajinga regiments, the rest being subjects from other tribes. The thing is, when converting/sculpting Wahehe warriors I intended to make the normal warriors with the zebra headdress and/or the visby in maasai style,  to distinguish them from the elite warriors, with pom poms and plumes...Now, as there is only one kind of Wahehe warriors in the army I suppose there is no point anymore in making that distinction, right?

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Questions about Kimbu and Hehe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
The Kimbu are a branch of the Nyamwezi, who are covered in Chris Peers' book. In the absence of any other info about their appearance, I would style them after the Nyamwezi pictures in that book.

The Wahehe were a union of many tribes, each with their own fashions, and we have wildly differing reports of their appearance, probably for that reason. Having the 'elites' look one particular way would only ever have been a wargaming convenience anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much that your army list only gives you one type of Hehe warrior. But you can still have different units sporting different looks if you fancy some variety. They seem to have donned most of the Ngoni styles, plus a few of their own.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Thank you a lot for the helpfull answer, Plynkes  :)
Nyamwezi look for the Kimbu, then. I've always wanted to sculpt their eight-shaped shields anyway  ;)

As for the Hehe, I think I tend to imagine things way to organised in my squarish mind. I'll probably mix styles in each unit then :)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »
Well you could have each unit having its own look if you want, and say they are from different Hehe tribes. We don't know for sure that they didn't do that. I don't think we really have enough information to know whether they had a uniform look or were higgledy-piggledy in their units' appearance, so you can probably do it how it best pleases you. If you prefer them looking more organised nobody can really say you are wrong.

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
Hmmm, that's a point  ::)
Maybe I'll make a pair of mixed units and one of them only with the pom-poms, as intended, even if they don't make any difference in the rules  ;)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
I was just browsing through my Chris Peers book looking for ideas for Ruga Ruga styles, and I noticed there is actually an illustration of a Kimbu shield. It is different to the standard Nyamwezi figure-of-eight design. It is small and the shape of an heraldic escutcheon, only upside-down. Made from hide stretched on a frame, and said to be painted white.

Page 86, figure 50b.

Can't believe I never noticed that before. :)

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
Oh, excellent, Plynkes!!  :-* Now that you mention it, I remember having seen the shield besides the hairstyles and never having paid much attention to it  :'( I´ll see it in a different way now, hehehe. I´ll check it as soon as I get home!
Thanks!!  :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
Polynkes,

I bow before your ability to remember all that detail and/or what book it is in.

All I can say is, "Wow."

8)
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!