Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691106
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sticky problems  (Read 925 times)

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
Sticky problems
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Hi

I am trying to glue together a metal torso and plastic legs on Warlord Games Dacian Falxmen. I cannot get any super glue to hold these parts together.

Any suggestions on what I am likely to be doing wrong?

Phil

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Sticky problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
Hi

I am trying to glue together a metal torso and plastic legs on Warlord Games Dacian Falxmen. I cannot get any super glue to hold these parts together.

Any suggestions on what I am likely to be doing wrong?

Phil

Make sure the joints are VERY CLEAN. Both metal and plastic castings have residual release agents (talcum powder, for example) on the surface which will affect glue adhesiveness negatively. Plastics also leak (to a varying degree) oil to the surface but if you clean the parts with warm (not hot) water, a mild detergent and a soft toothbrush you'll have greater chance for the parts to stick together. I prefer two part epoxy to superglue in joins like this, as epoxy glue has a tougher fill and thus is more forgiving. Only when the join is close to perfect is superglue my preferred choice.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
Also, whenever I'm not sticking plastic on plastic using plastic cement, I always pin the parts.
It's an anoying, time-consuming proces, but you'll regret not doing it if you dont.

If you are unaware of this process: you drill a hole in both parts and stick a bit of metal wiring/paperclip in these.
This will create a sturdier joint that won't break off as soon as the model drops on it's side.

They're will be plenty of good tutorials on youtube on this.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
I never wash my metals or plastics and don't have any problems with gluing. If your superglue is old though, as in been open for a while then it can take a while for it to dry and fully bond. If your glue seems a little gloopy now over what it used to be when first opened it's a sign that it could be a little past it's best. Or, are you using cheapo 'Pound' shop bought glue? I have sometimes in the past heard some people have problems with cheap nondescript stuff.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
You could also try a tiny ball of green stuff in the centre of the join when using superglue.
I find that this makes life easier.

Just do a 'dry run' first to make sure it is not too big and squishes out visibly when the two parts are pushed together.

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the guidance guys. I hadn't cleaned the plastic parts, so I will start there.

I usually clean them all while they are on the sprue, but forgot completely this time.

Thanks again.