Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Demiurg  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
Re: Demiurg
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
Oooh, great stuff! Really like those head sculpts and I've always had a soft spot for the demiurg since the squats got eaten.

I remember seeing pictures of what was allegedly an official concept head sculpt for a demiurg. That was years ago though, and i can't find it now but I was pretty excited by it. You're making those new overlord models increasingly appealing though!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
These concepts? (Not mine, i just saved them for reference):

I've steered away from the sketch, towards the sculpt... but have deliberately 're-styled' my version a bit :)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
That's the fella! I remember thinking the sculpt looked quite Star Trek-ish, but that kind of added to the charm. The drawing always looked a bit odd, especially with those eyebrows.

I like your versions, the chitinous looking scalp on the first one really adds an alien, dare I say slightly tyranid (oh the irony) look to them. Very much looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
Cheers :)

I've tried to keep the basic design of the sculpt in the pic but 'tone it down' a bit so that it is smoother. I've also been forced to make the head less 'cone shaped' because of the size of the armoured collar... if I had followed the design, the top of the head would be tiny and I wanted to have slightly larger heads to make the bodies seem more dwarf-like rather than chubby humans.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »
Now that my components have arrived from Anvil Industries, I have been able to finish the first two Demiurg. The controller is on the left and the technician on the right. The pistols, back-pack and spanner head are all from Anvil. The technician's head is a little more bony than the controllers because he is older :) :

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Wow, those are very cool; good use of the core sky pirate bodies.  I'm sure if you ever made casts of those heads available people would snap your hand off to get them.  I'd love to do something like this but there's no way I could do new heads justice with my cack-handed sculpting.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »
It is very likely that I may make some heads for casting... but I will get some practice in first :)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
I have now finished the first group of three Demiurg. From left to right: Controller, Leader and Technician:

I guess I will fill in the dimple in the base and get these painted but I won't be able to paint the bases yet because I need some of that crackle paint to make a martian desert effect :)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
It is very likely that I may make some heads for casting... but I will get some practice in first :)

Sweet.  Those first 3 are looking really good.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
Cheers :) .

I have changed the crest on the leader after some good feedback. I think it works much better:

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
Lovely work on these Inso, well done! :)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
Love the mix of Anvil bits in there too.

Honestly, you should get more of your stuff cast up.  I can see GW gamers wanting helmetless Arkanauts too.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
As always cracking stuff!  :-*

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
These three are now primed :) .

As for separate heads for casting... I am getting the design set at the moment by sculpting these. Afterwards, I should be able to sculpt a few for casting... but that is likely to be after I have my Halfling snipers cast (after I've finished sculpting them :) ).

Anvil Industry have a great array of very useful bits at a really reasonable price. They are very cleanly cast and the resin is lovely to work with. They are my 'go-to' company for bits (before I try other places, if they don't have what I am looking for).

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »
So... I was going to paint them... in fact, I got as far as spray priming them, letting them dry and getting all my paints out. Then... I couldn't work out what paint to use so I put my paints away again.

It isn't all bad though. I have got as far as cleaning and assembling the bodies/bases for the next three. I've also put the first dome of putty on for the three of them.

I have also sourced enough sky-pikes for all five of the Controllers (plus a couple extra, should I need them later).

Ticking along :)