Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: John Ford US Cavalry, 54mm update 31.5.17  (Read 3846 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
John Ford US Cavalry, 54mm update 31.5.17
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
When I was a boy, I was fascinated by the old Hollywood US Cavalry vs Indians  westerns. I absolutely loved them, and I still do. Ok, the plotlines are often terribly thin and the treatment of the Native Americans in many of them is less than great, but there’s still something about them that keeps me watching and ever since I began wargaming, I’ve wanted to do something ‘Hollywood’ like that, but have never found quite the right models. You see, for me, the Cavalry have to have yellow neckerchiefs, braces, gauntlets, carry sabres, etc, and no 28mm range has that. What DOES have that, though, is the old 1970s Airfix soft plastic 54mm range! I had a set as a kid and recently found a load on EBAY in various stages of disrepair. A quick interweb search also found me Paragon miniatures, whose Cavalry are ok, but have small heads, but who do produce some rather lovely Apaches, and that was it… We’re on our way. A new project is born!

So, here’s the first batch of Cavalry. Some photos aren't great, but I'm using my phone.
The models I bought came in various states of repair. Some were ‘as new’, but others were smothered in enamel paint. The painted ones were popped in a plastic sealable freezer bag along with the contents of a tin of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and were left there to fester overnight. They were then brushed clean in warm water, which cleaned 99% of the gloop off very well. Next, I washed them in warm soapy water to remove any remaining oven cleaner (nasty stuff!) and oily mould residue, which can stubbornly remain even after 40 years, according to some folks in the know. Once dry, they were given a good coating of Testors Dullcote which provides an anchor for the paint. I then brushed on a thin white undercoat.

The models were then painted in basically the way I do 28mm: basecoat, dip and highlight, usually with basecoat colours. I guessed these needed an extra highlight to bring them out the way I wanted, so I used mid-tone basecoats plus highlights thus:

Shirts: Foundry Union Blue, highlighted with Union Blue light and Sky blue
Trousers: Foundry Union trouser, highlighted with basecoat colour and Union trouser light
Braces and gauntlets: GW Karak Stone highlighted with basecoat colour and GW Screaming skull
Hats: GW Baneblade brown, highlighted with basecoat colour and Karak stone. Hat bands were done with Foundry Ochre shade highlighted with Ochre light
Neckerchief and trouser stripes: Foundry yellow, highlighted with basecoat colour and yellow light
Boots and belts: GW Abaddon black, highlighted with Foundry Charcoal black and Charcoal black light
Buckles: GW shining gold (base and highlight)
Gun barrels and scabbards: GW Boltgun metal (yes, I still have some!) this was highlighted with GW Ironbreaker for sabre scabbards.
Sabre: GW Ironbreaker, highlighted with basecoat colour and GW Runefang Steel
Carbine: Foundry Spearshaft brown shade, with wood grain done using the spears haft brown light
Bases: GW Steel Legion Drab – no dip, just drybrushed with Screaming skull.

I’m very pleased with them!
So, here we have:
Captain Kirby Yorke (played by the master, Mr John Wayne, in Fort Apache and Rio Grande – although in the latter, he’d been promoted) with sergeant Travis Tyree (played by Ben Johnson in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon – he’d also been in Rio Grande but as a lowly trooper so must have been promoted before re-deployment to the plains!) Tyree is a conversion, as seen in the accompanying pic. His left arm comes from the obligatory (and often useless) prone pose that Airfix always loved so much. Capt. Yorke’s shoulder rank bars are Greenstuff.

Bugler and trooper standing firing. The bugler has the left arm from the mounted standard bearer/bugler model.

Two kneeling troopers.

The whole group.

Am angling to use a modification of Osprey’s The Men Who Would Be Kings, as it’s suitably ‘Hollywood’ in scope and a chap on the Facebook fan group has done some work on something similar, which he has shared.

There’ll be more to come on this project over the next few months, with more dismounted chaps, horseholders and some mounted versions next on the agenda, as I haven’t purchased any Apaches yet.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:41:48 AM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: John Ford US Cavalry, 54mm
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
Lovely work.
 :-* :-*

Takes me back a few years to when I was kid playing with them unpainted.
Quite a few years....
 ::)

My own OW project is very much 'Hollywood' as opposed to reality.
If it helps the closest 28mm Cavalry I found for my needs are the Galloping Major offerings which are very nice indeed.
One day I need to get around to converting some mounted versions.

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page4.htm

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:44:41 PM by Mason »

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
Outstanding paintwork on your 1/32nd scale Airfix Cavalrymen.  :-*
I still have this set but mine are painted nowhere near as good as yours, Guitarheroandy!  :(

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Beautiful painting and excellent conversions. Keep it going!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
Now that's wot the Cavalry should look like...

"Yellow stripes on breeches blue, riding on before me!"

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
"FORWARD YOOOO'" :D

I second the love of Hollywood cavalry VS Indians and I echo your love for John Fords version of history. She wore a yellow ribbon is one of my favourite westerns.

I have very fond memories of playing with and painting the very same figures back in the 70s. You've done them proud  ;D

Looking forward to seeing the Apache :)

Ps you need a Sergeant Quincannon in a kept too ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:02:59 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Had a look here yet?

http://plasticsoldiers.co.uk/

;)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
Love 'em.
The painting is spot on.
The paint color is super, prefect shading.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:36:13 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »
I've done some conversions and repaints on these old figures using heads and kepis from Britains Deetail Yank and Reb Infantry...

;)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »
excellent ;-)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
So here they are: the dog-faced soldiers, the regulars, the fifty-cents-a-day professionals...

:-*

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Nice one, Harry! That's a cool collection of old Britains models you got there!

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
I have a similar Britains collection from childhood, though the Airfix plastic all went brittle and fell apart. I've always wished someone in 28mm would do a swaggering, swashbuckling range of Hollywood mounted troopers and foot soldiers at full charge. Wouldn't game them, but the mental thrill of a 7th Cav charge has always excited me. Thank you for sharing your work, I enjoyed looking and reading very much.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this. It's great to see some 54mm here on LAF, and the work you've done on the figures is most impressive. The timing for me couldn't be better: my current project is Old West in 54mm, and while gunfights in town are more the thrust so far, I've just started doing up some plains Indians (as Comanches) and one of these days intend to do my own 7th Cavalry. And I agree with you and the other posters who prefer the John Ford version to the real thing.  :D

When you get round to painting up some of the opposition, be sure to share them! Thanks again!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
My own OW project is very much 'Hollywood' as opposed to reality.
If it helps the closest 28mm Cavalry I found for my needs are the Galloping Major offerings which are very nice indeed.
One day I need to get around to converting some mounted versions.

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page4.htm

Mason, thanks for the mention, I'm currently working on the mounted versions - between other stuff :-D

Cheers,
Lance
www.gallopingmajorwargames.com