Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')  (Read 21433 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Sept 1/17)
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
Just been tipped off about this masterclass in imagination, creativity and all round brilliance.  Superb!  Thanks for sharing
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Dopplehaken Light Gun)
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »

Here is an example of an early heavy rifled musket, often called a 'Handbuchse' or 'Doppelhaken' or 'Springald', etc. These light carriage guns were often too cumbersome and slow for field engagements, but would be utilized during sieges, presumably to pick off opponents at long range and make a general nuisance of themselves. I had the pleasure to see a few examples of these weapons on display at both Les Invalides in Paris and the Musée de l'Empéri in Salon-de-Provence during a recent trip and marveled at the size of them. They must have been absolute brutes to use with any accuracy - the risks of being on the cusp of cutting edge technology, I suppose.

These figures are a mix from both Warlord Games and the now defunct Pro Gloria Miniatures (Warlord bought the range a few years ago).

I recruited a Master Gunner from Warlord's Pike & Shotte range and re-purposed him for this vignette as I liked his pose.

He has a fun technician/alchemist air about him.

I imagine him as a Spanish mercenary gunner in Imperial pay who has dropped by to help his German friends sight their 'silly Teutonic popgun'.  His clothing is a little late for Italian Wars, but its a conceit I can live with (He's a trendsetter, folks!  Hot off the Madrid catwalk.).

The two Landsknecht and the light gun are pretty much stock from the kit, except for a little bit of careful bending and re-positioning to better fit the vignette.

Thanks for dropping by folks - Have a great week!

Curt

Offline the scott

• Assistant
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Sept 25/17)
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Hi there love your work hope to see more

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
Loving that work as well. On another good note, I've heard that Simon Chick is taking over Steelfist Miniatures so production will continue and expand.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2017, 10:34:26 PM »
Here is an example of an early heavy rifled musket, often called a 'Handbuchse' or 'Doppelhaken' or 'Springald', etc.
What an absolutely beautiful vignette!  The figures, the painting and the basing are all just amazing.   :-*
Mike

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »
Damn. I want one now.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words folks, they're very much appreciated.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
That is: Very, Very Nice! :-*

I keep meaning to pick up half a dozen of those heavy arquebus pieces, especially for Marignano scenarios (where they employed hundreds of them). Of course, when I say meaning to pick up, I mean it in the same way as I mean to pick up some moulding rubber so that I can drop cast the war cart I made for Ravenna scenarios back in 2011 - ho hum, so much to do, so little time.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
And that is a terrific war cart. You should get it in production as there is a gap in the market for it.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »
@Olicana: Yes, I'd be up for one or two of those lovely carts. Great work!

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Landsknecht Culverin)
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »

I've returned to my Italian Wars project to add a bit of artillery support to the collection.

This is a German-crewed culverin (or bombard?) mounted on a adjustable split-tail carriage. In modern terms this is not a particularly large gun, but to those living in the 16th century this would have been quite an impressive piece of artillery. (With it probably being near as much a danger to its crew as it was to their intended targets.)

The figures are from Redoubt Enterprises and while they are a bit ill-formed and perhaps a tad lumpish, I find they have a certain charm about them and they posses a wonderful dynamism, especially in how their various poses convey a sense of movement. These fellows really reinforce the idea of them frantically trying to realign their gun while in the midst of combat.

I tried to match the groundwork to the rest of my bases, which are all autumnal, so a wide assortment of brown foliage, late blooms and a generous carpet of fallen leaves are all there. If it weren't for the big freakin' gun and its boorish crew of beer-swilling Landsknechts, perhaps it would be a nice place for a quiet repast with a bottle of Chianti, a loaf of fresh bread and a plate of prosciutto. Ah, bellissimo!

Have a great day everyone!

Curt

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Jan 26/18)
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
Very nicely done - lovely piece. I'd completely forgotten about the Redoubt range and this model.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
That’s a splendid vignette Curt  :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
Splendid! Impressive! A vignette very well done! Gongrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »
Storytelling at its best! As well as the great PJ, the groundwork is amazing! :o