Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:44:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')  (Read 21483 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated June 2/17)
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
Absolutely brilliant Curt - inspirational no less.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »
Thanks very much for the kind words guys! I'm delighted you like them.

@olicana: Thanks for the great flag idea and for the interesting information on Landsknecht contracts. Nonetheless, one has to make use of all these lovely Landsknecht banners Pete is making! :) Perhaps I'll make my central banner bearer with a swapable flag for potential contract holders. :)

Indeed. In fact I'm about to use Pete's flags (I have always painted my own in the past for the Italian Wars) to speed up a rush addition to my collection for a big game I'm putting on for the League of Gentlemen Wargamers weekend in Scotland this November. It will be a dozen players fighting on an multi-table 'not to scale map' of Italy - a kind of Italian 'Kingmaker' board game made large. The table, if put together without gaps, will be about 18 feet wide at its widest (Milan - Venice) and about 30 feet long (Alps to Naples) - with one to three players taking the parts of the major combatant states (such as France, Spain, Papal State, Venice, Milan, Florence, etc.), each siding for France or Spain / Empire. With France and Spain off table and the other states able to switch sides no players should ever be 'out of the game'. Players will amass victory points (or lose them) over the two days of gaming: The one with most VP at the end, wins! I'm hoping to field 2000 - 2500 figures.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
Utterly, utterly brilliant!!!!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
Thanks very much chaps!

@ olicana: That game sounds absolutely brilliant. On a similar vein, I've been wanting to use Avalon Hill's 'Machiavelli' (Kingmaker for Italian Wars) for a campaign setting for our Italian Wars collections. Please post pics of your event after the dust settles. Also, what dates will that be? We'll be in the UK and Europe later this autumn as I want to take in Crisis in Antwerp.

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
Indeed. In fact I'm about to use Pete's flags (I have always painted my own in the past for the Italian Wars) to speed up a rush addition to my collection for a big game I'm putting on for the League of Gentlemen Wargamers weekend in Scotland this November. It will be a dozen players fighting on an multi-table 'not to scale map' of Italy - a kind of Italian 'Kingmaker' board game made large. The table, if put together without gaps, will be about 18 feet wide at its widest (Milan - Venice) and about 30 feet long (Alps to Naples) - with one to three players taking the parts of the major combatant states (such as France, Spain, Papal State, Venice, Milan, Florence, etc.), each siding for France or Spain / Empire. With France and Spain off table and the other states able to switch sides no players should ever be 'out of the game'. Players will amass victory points (or lose them) over the two days of gaming: The one with most VP at the end, wins! I'm hoping to field 2000 - 2500 figures.

That certainly sounds like a destination game.  I'd make a trip just to play in that.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Wonderful Curt - love the figures, love the painting, love the interchangeable flags and also love the basing!!!
Great inspiration.
Simon

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
Thank you very much Simon! That is very high praise coming from you. I'm honoured.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated June 11/17)
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
Here are some Swiss mercenary halberdiers from the canton of Bern, marching along with their commander and a somewhat peckish mascot.

First up is a command stand featuring a huge (no, really, I mean HUGE) brown bear. Bern has a bear as part of its heraldry, and in one of the period manuscripts there is one depicted in battle, mauling some poor French chap (giving the Perry twins the inspiration to do this model). So being that it is a big, ferocious, wild animal I thought I'd add a doughty halberdier to help keep the big fella moving in the right direction.

The canton's banner is from Pete's Flags. It's a beautiful piece of work, being printed on tight-weave fabric. I inadvertently rubbed away some of the inkjet transfer when I was working with it so I had to retouch a bit of it with brush and paint. No worries at all and I still quite like it and look forward to using more of his flags in the future.

Next up is a unit of Bernese halberdiers.

All of these figures are Perry metals from their rather vaguely titled 'European Armies' range. These are fantastic models with loads of animation and character.

Again, I decided to go with Berne for no other reason than I had this great pot of orangey-red paint I wanted to try out and I knew the colour featured prominently in that canton's banners. Yup, completely lame, I know.

For the unit's banner I scanned one provided in the Perry boxed set, printed it off on decent quality paper, molded it to shape using diluted white glue and then repainted it using the same tones I used for the figures.

Finally, here is a group shot of the halberdiers, my recent Bolognese crossbowmen and the 'Bear of Bern' command stand.

Thanks for dropping by folks and have a great week!

Curt

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:39:01 AM by Curt »

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »
The bear stand is brilliant!
And I really like your method of picking units to paint, after all this is a hobby where we express ourselves freely.
best regards
Aris K.

Offline Doudou

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »
Outstanding units. And your basing really adds life to it all.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
More wonderful stuff.

Good to get your PM the other day.

James

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
Nice units, and I like the flags.  The bear stand is indeed outstanding.

-Michael

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
Brilliant work indeed  8)

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
These are all absolutely beautiful - really inspiring stuff.

Out of interest, did you cut those bases yourself, or is someone selling pre-cut ones with the irregular edges? Saw some Napoleonics pop up on Facebook with similar basing, and I'm in a copy cat mood.

Edit: ignore me. Just re-read your first post
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:06:22 PM by Adam »