Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')  (Read 21241 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Jan 26/18)
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »
Is the two-tone gun carriage based on a contemporary picture? I like the look of it.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Jan 26/18)
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
@FierceKitty: Sorry for the delay in responding. While the carriage colour is conjectural, it is based on period evidence suggesting that it was not uncommon for weapon furniture to be painted. The 1512  'Zeugbuecher', the 'Book of Arms' of Maximilian I has several images of carriages and other weapons painted in Imperial colours. Also, there are several documented instances of handguns being painted as well, so it's not beyond the pale.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18)
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2018, 04:58:05 AM »

Here's a vignette that I've been wishing to do ever since I began my Italian Wars project a few years ago: a Swiss alphorn player calling out to his reisläufer camarades.

A very unique instrument, the alphorn has its roots extending back to antiquity, with theories believing that it originated with the lituus war horn from the Etruscan period.  Early medieval alpine myths frequently refer to the horn being used as a signalling device between mountain villages, while the first documented reference of the word 'alphorn' is in a 1527 account book of a Cistercian abby, where an alphorn player was paid two Batzen for his playing (or perhaps to stop).  ;)

So with this in mind, I've extrapolated that if the alphorn was a fairly common instrument amongst the Swiss from at least the early medieval period, one could conjecture that they would have used them in their military campaigns, for signalling purposes and, like the highland pipes, to raise the morale of their fighting men.

As there are no alphorn figures in the market (a shocking oversight, I know) I made my own by bisecting the torso of a Perry Swiss musician, removed his existing instrument, and reposed him (aided with a liberal amount of wire and green stuff) to accept his 10 foot alphorn. 

The alphorn itself was made from a length of plastic rod with greenstuff wrapped around it and then sanded to shape.

For a bit of fun, I've accompanied the alphornist in a somewhat mismatched duet with a Landsknecht flautist, while a few onlookers are taking in the concert, enjoying a refreshment.

Thanks for dropping in!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »
Wonderful vignette.  :-* :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2018, 06:22:18 AM »
Wonderful vignette.  :-* :-*

Well thought, well set up and perfectly painted, a wonderful piece! Many congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
 lol lol that’s genius!  Very nice indeed  :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
Absolutely brilliant Curt. Love it  :-*

Offline DonFabrizio

• Bookworm
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »
wow, a really nice vignette!

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
The whole thread is magnificent, I am in awe of your skill.
Best
Ben
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
Oh yes, I love that Alphorn too  :-*

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »
Absolutly wonderfull thread...makes me want to dig out my Italian Wars stuff....:)

The alphorn is a fantastc idea... :-*

Thanx,
Don

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
No Renaissance wargames army should be without one of these alphorns (not sure how I'm going to work it into my 1513 Henry VIII army, but I'm sure something will come to me - a group of wandering minstrels perhaps.....).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »
Lovely idea, but I think the flautist is going to rupture his lungs trying to be heard at horn-appropriate distances.

I take it that Hornblower has won the affections of the waitress, who is dropping him a hint with a free drink? If so, is this the origin of the epithet horny?

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
She seems to be plying the crossbowman with drink - possibly in the hope that he will shoot one or other of them and make them shut up?

I wonder if there is a Swiss equivalent of the old British saying: "A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes....but never does."

Offline puster

• Assistant
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »
Fantastic stuff. Hate to put a grain of salt into the candy, but the flag on your first unit with the Spanish Pillars of Gibraltar and the Imperial eagle combines milk and oil. No Imperial or Spanish unit would bear the emblem of the other side. Their only connection was the Burgundian Duke becoming Spanish King becoming Emperor. While both side used the Burgundian cross, neither used others side symbols (and violent incidents between both sides were common).
Whenever I see that Flag, it shouts "wrong" to me - like a Soviet unit in WW2 using the Stars & Bars (or Union Jack) on their Red Banner. I have no idea who has created that flag ...