Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Completely interactive city terrain  (Read 1288 times)

Offline EddieHyde

• Lurker
Completely interactive city terrain
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
Hi all

So I'm new to the forum and only recently got back into miniatures gaming after a good couple decades off (last time I played 40k 3rd edition was brand new.) and I decided I wanted to go 15mm (for both storage and a few other reasons).  Being a bit older and significantly better off financially, I've been using this opportunity to do a little wish fulfillment.  One of the things I always wanted to do was build a truly modular city, with buildings that can be entered and utilized in order to truly get the feel of city fighting.  I considered just using floor plans on a second table, but if possible I'd like to make it all on one battlefield.  Anyway, I cobbled together a building out of foam core and was pretty happy with it.  Mind you it's just a proof of concept but I figured I'd share it and see if anyone has any suggestions.  If I'm in the wrong forum I apologize.  I put it hear since I'm building it for sci-fi gaming.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Completely interactive city terrain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »
Hello. I'd say you're in the right place.
Welcome back into the fold.
What you've done looks interesting. City fight tables in 15mm can be awesome. There's some great threads in the workbench and build something boards, and there are some fine terrain makers around so lots of inspiration and advice available. I'd have a wander over to Matakishi's Tea Room as he's always a mine of useful ideas. He's done some modular city stuff that works on various height levels that you might find useful.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
Welcome! Yep - looks good and playable.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:18:53 AM »
Good idea, too!

Offline Extra Crispy

• Assistant
    • Scale Creep Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
For proof of concept, that's great.

Be sure to loo at building kits for HO and 1/72. For city fighting the difference in scale is not very noticeable. Especially once the figures are on bases, etc. Here is a table we played Stalingrad on last month. The game was 20mm or 1/72. To get more use out of it I ran two 15mm Zombie games with my Pity the Living rules. The buildings looked great, being slightly oversized was *really* hard to notice.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
Owner, ScaleCreep.com
Chief Instigator, DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Offline EddieHyde

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »
Thanks all for the complements and great resources.  That stalingrad table is amazing, and hits on exactly what I want which is city you would have to travel through with caution, not knowing where the next ambush is coming from.  I will post more pics when I have them if you guys want, and if anyones interested I will go step by step with a mini tutorial on what i've been doing, maybe someone else will have an idea I don't have.