Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689626
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which WW2 skirmish rules?  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Which WW2 skirmish rules?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
For me its Battlefield Evolution: World at War
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1591&qsSeries=
(biased - I am the author)
and after that definitely Disposable Heroes!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »
GregX999, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but you may want to check out my forthcoming rules.

You can read about it here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38423.0

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:42 AM »
Crossfire; quite the most innovative set of ww2 rules I have played. Need a fair bit of terrain and lots of practise but well worth it.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »
Crossfire; quite the most innovative set of ww2 rules I have played. Need a fair bit of terrain and lots of practise but well worth it.

I agree. Heartstoppingly tense and effective.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
I'd like to get into some WW2 skirmish gaming and am looking for advise on a set of rules. I don't know anyone who currently plays WW2, so getting what others have isn't as issue - I'll most likely be getting my dad and my brother into it. :D

- I'm looking to put between 10-40 figs per side (5-10 per squad), sometimes with 1-3 vehicles per side. Maybe larger battles down the road, but it'll be awhile before I have enough figs painted for that.
- All my other figs and terrain are 28mm, so I want to stick to that.
- I like scenario play, and I don't care if there is a point system or not.
- I prefer quicker, more fun rules sets to super-detailed sets. But I still want something that has a "realistic WW2 feel" to it - good rules for suppression, etc.
- I prefer alternate activation to IgoUgo (but I've seen some IgoUgo rules that have pretty interesting ideas in order to keep the non-active player from getting bored).
- I like rules with random activations, or even some turns where not every unit gets activated.

After reading this, I would suggest that you test Rules of Engagement from Great Escape Games. They have a very nice hardcover rulebook, wich covers most of the later war stuff, its concentrated around the fighting that occured in Normandy and later on. The rules are made for 28mm Skirmish warfare, with about a platoon on each side with some support, like a mortar and a HMG perhaps. Vehicles are sparse, and normally you get perhaps one tank per side. This however can be changed by allowing more troop support for each side. The rules are very generous when it comes to adopting to your wants and needs. Want bigger battles, keep to the coosen scenario, but add more units to the battle. No points really, but a system for Combat Effectivness rating that gives you troops allocation per scenario choosen.
However, they also have three other books published, one for additional vehicles and tanks, one for the Russian front and one Campaign Settings book, they also sell some PFDs with additional scenarios and orders of battles.
I love this game, and it yeilds so many opportunities for self developed scenarios and troop choises.

Bolt Action Miniatures by Warlord Games and Artizan Miniatures along with Die Waffenkammer are very good for this system, I think everything covered in the rules are supplied by these companies, from miniatures to tanks and softskins.

Another game system that I really would like to recomend is NUTS! by Two Hour Wargames. Its more based around a few miniatures, perhaps a panzer crew or a half squad, but, can be adopted for larger battles as well. More detailed gaming, and above all, a chain reaction system that is superior to most of the gaming systems I have encountered and tried out. I enjoy this very much, I really do.

We use both systems, together really, to depict different situations and scenarios.

I am going to order Warlord Games - Operation Squad and check it out, I havent had the time (or money really) to deal with this system yet, but its on this months allowance hehe.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
Have any of the DH fanboys played the Point Blank version? Just had a look on the Iron Ivan website and it is squad rather than platoon level. Would be interested to know if they're worth picking up.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Its more based around a few miniatures, perhaps a panzer crew or a half squad, but, can be adopted for larger battles as well. More detailed gaming, and above all, a chain reaction system that is superior to most of the gaming systems I have encountered and tried out. I enjoy this very much, I really do.

NUTS! does very well at the platoon level, and you'll find that most games end up at around that scale. NUTS has become my favorite system because of the reaction system that results in your figures acting in ways you, the "godlike" gamer, hadn't planned. It also rewards solid infantry tactics.
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Frank Frey

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Have any of the DH fanboys played the Point Blank version? Just had a look on the Iron Ivan website and it is squad rather than platoon level. Would be interested to know if they're worth picking up.

I have. In fact, I was one of the playtesters for PB. I really like it. It plays quickly and it's very challenging. It comes complete with data not only for WWII but for Vietnam and Modern conflicts.
I highly recommend it.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »

I have. In fact, I was one of the playtesters for PB. I really like it. It plays quickly and it's very challenging. It comes complete with data not only for WWII but for Vietnam and Modern conflicts.
I highly recommend it.

Thanks, sounds promising.