Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28865 times)

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Kasedori bandit)
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
I love the Kasedori bandit! The conversion is well executed, but the idea is even more a blast!

Did I mention that our setting is also in the area of Yamagata? ;)

"Ka-ka-ka"

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Kasedori bandit)
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
thanks for all the kind words guys :)

Did I mention that our setting is also in the area of Yamagata? ;)

close enough that our yokai can duke it out one day :)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with another kappa)
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
what's that? another ugly little river goblin?

I decided that one kappa wasn't enough (infact, I've started talking to some sculptors about commissioning a range of kappas, but that's way off for now) so made myself another of the little cucumber loving, anus defiling half monkeys.  Again, made from GW hobbit goblins, this time with an arm swap and a leg swap, as well as the sculpted shell and reprofiled face.

I like my kappa to be ugly and slightly goofy looking, yokai from period woodblock prints are never particularly scary or realistic, so I'm trying to replicate this in my miniatures rather than have them being ultra slick and life-like.  As you may have noticed with most of the other yokai so far, I use a lot of dots when painting, this is something new that I'm trying for this project, I'm still getting used to it as a technique but I think it adds a nice texture and a bit of interest to flat areas of my miniatures, what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:29:13 PM by Juxt »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
As you may have noticed with most of the other yokai so far, I use a lot of dots when painting, this is something new that I'm trying for this project, I'm still getting used to it as a technique but I think it adds a nice texture and a bit of interest to flat areas of my miniatures, what do you guys think?

I'm not sure as a general principle, but I do like where you've used it thus far.  For wood grain or reptilian goblin skin, I think it works great!  :D

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with another Kappa)
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »
Villagers have recently been complaining of a disgusting, putrid aroma coming from the old shrine in Yokainoyama, a mixture of stale sweat, fetid excrement, wild animal and rotting seafood, enough to make even the strongest of constitutions wince at the slightest whiff.  Until now, local salt-peter merchant Yokunai had been mocked for his diminished sense of smell, ravaged by years of handling volatile chemicals, but all of a sudden he found those who had previously shunned him at his knees, begging him to solve the mystery of the stink.
That night he made his way through the vermilion torii that demarked the transition from the profane to the sacred, and searched the shrine grounds to try and work out what was causing the smell.  After almost an hour of walking around he caught a fleeting glimpse of a figure.  A hideously miss-shapen, naked, sweaty, vaguely human shaped mass of fat and flesh.  Upon noticing that it had been spotted, the creature dashed away at supernatural speed, leaving Yokunai shaken and disgusted, but unharmed.

Weeks passed since Yokunai's sighting, the smell hadn't gone away and word eventually reached Daimyo Nobuhira that a Nuppeppō had been spotted in one of his mountain villages.  His medical advisers reminded the noble that consuming the flesh of the beast (if he could stomach it) was said to provide you with immortality, and would almost certainly cure him of the illness that was slowly taking over his body.  At that he sent a small force, led by one of his finest men, to capture the Nuppeppō, and return with the cure...

The model for the nuppeppō is mostly scratch built from putty, sculpted over the remnants of a demon miniature of some sort, I wanted to make him a bit more humanoid than traditional- he is normally depicted with no arms at all.  The small shrine is a laser cut paper 1:150 scale railway accessory from Japan, the simplistic quality of the model made it suitable for representing a much smaller shrine building- a hokora, a place to leave offerings of sake and rice to appease the resident kami.  The rest of the base is made from slabs of textured putty, broken up once cured and shaped into stone slabs.

(The samurai were not painted by me, I got Maz from Winterdyne modelling to do them for me, since I work at such a glacial pace  ;) )
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:10:02 PM by Juxt »

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Nuppeppō)
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »
Great work, like always.
Waiting to see those Shinsengumi painted.  ;)

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
Great work, like always.
Waiting to see those Shinsengumi painted.  ;)

Haha, thanks mate :)
I've started demilitarising the banner bearer and converting it into an Onmyoji, such a great sculpt

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
Lovely stuff - the dots work for the subject matter really well. I really like the look you've created.

Also - thanks for sharing the pictures (which had to be censored) they are absolute eye candy.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 01:47:06 AM »
what's that? another ugly little river goblin?

I decided that one kappa wasn't enough (infact, I've started talking to some sculptors about commissioning a range of kappas, but that's way off for now) so made myself another of the little cucumber loving, anus defiling half monkeys.  Again, made from GW hobbit goblins, this time with an arm swap and a leg swap, as well as the sculpted shell and reprofiled face.

I like my kappa to be ugly and slightly goofy looking, yokai from period woodblock prints are never particularly scary or realistic, so I'm trying to replicate this in my miniatures rather than have them being ultra slick and life-like.  As you may have noticed with most of the other yokai so far, I use a lot of dots when painting, this is something new that I'm trying for this project, I'm still getting used to it as a technique but I think it adds a nice texture and a bit of interest to flat areas of my miniatures, what do you guys think?

Only thing that seems to be missing is the bowl in the head...

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
Lovely stuff. Your painting style and figure conversion work is very inspiring.

Look forward to the next instalment

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Lovely additions and the game looks superb  :-*

infact, I've started talking to some sculptors about commissioning a range of kappas, but that's way off for now

Do please post here if you do  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
yes please, these are the best kappas I've seen since the old tengu ones, they're almost perfect, but like SotF pointed out they don't have the bowl of water on their head, if they did they'd be perfect, but I'd buy these either way with or without the bowl :D

Also love the nupeppo, might have to steal the idea, think that's a conversion I just might be able to do myself

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 06:24:13 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

You know, I was intending to put the bowls into the kappa heads but both times I forgot, got too excited, and painted them up before I remembered  :'(. Part of me wants to go back and drill them in, but I know I'll never match the paint colour correctly.  Hopefully I'll remember the bowl on the next one

Offline SaltyWendigo

• Assistant
    • Den of the Wendigo
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:34 AM »
Amazing work all around for these, I love the paint job on your Samurai in particular! Tempted make a personal attempt at a kappa since I too have a bunch of those GW Hobbit figures that need put to use, such a cool use of one of those miniatures.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
Amazing stuff! Really nice painting and converting!