Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28872 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Nuppeppō)
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
I love this thread!
 :-* :-*

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:28 AM »
Lovely stuff.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:20 AM »
That board and those miniatures are beautiful! I may have missed it but what system are you playing with? Are those houses scratch built? :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks everyone, I love how supportive this board is  :)

That board and those miniatures are beautiful! I may have missed it but what system are you playing with? Are those houses scratch built? :)

The buildings are scratch built, I made one basic building without a roof, then moulded and cast them.  All variations were then added to the casts to stop them being too uniform.

The rules? Basically just a variation on Ronin. I tend to GM the yokai, while 1 or 2 other players control the humans- sometimes the yokai are random/environmental effects, other times they're full on enemy forces.  I like the yokai to remain pretty unknown- some are only dangerous if attacked, others are naturally malicious, some might try to help you etc, I'd rather the players not know too much about the temperament of the monsters until they interact with them, hence me needing to GM them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:29:20 PM by Juxt »

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:32 AM »
I love the way you handle the monsters, could  you give a little more detail on how you rate the monsters in Ronin, number of action points, wounds etc.

William

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
Long time no yokai, don't worry though, I've been making a few Japanese creatures over the past couple of weeks and I'm here to share them with you :-)

As with all old objects that haven't been used for over a hundred years, crockery too can develop a spirit and personality of its own- it normally starts with an old teapot, a chipped spout leads to it being retired from use and a new one is bought.  A sake bottle that isn't quite pouring right gets replaced with another, plates too cracked to be used that never get repaired.  They all get put into storage and forgotten about, until their feelings of abandonment and anger build and materialise in the form of the Seto Taisho, or Crockery General.  A tiny suit of samurai armour made from discarded cups, saucers, bowls and spoons, bent on revenge, waging its own miniature war against the people who stopped using his constituent parts.
Seto Taisho is an aggressive yokai, normally seen in and around residential buildings, he will viciously attack anyone who comes close by with his chosen weapon, a rusty kitchen knife.  Don't think that just because he's small he'll be easy to kill- once defeated his shattered form slowly reconstructs until he is ready to start fighting again.

The miniature for Seto Taisho was made from various plasticard offcuts and a set of miniart 1:35 scale household crockery- it's a really useful kit, one of those things that nearly everyone will eventually find a use for.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Seto Taishō)
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
What an awesome thread !!!!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Fantastic. :D

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
Yet another fantastic addition to the thread!

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
Great! Can't wait to see that you make with Bac Ninh Shinsengumi. ;)

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
The Crockery General is amazing.

Your wonderfully crazy and inventive mind is really going strong.
Please dont end this project.
Ever!
 :D

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
Just had the pleasure of reading through this thread and admiring all your amazing work! Can't wait for more! :)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
My camera (and or battery) have bitten the proverbial, so I'm without a way of showing you guys what I've been upto recently, but here're a couple of poor phone snaps of a recent game I played...

River bandits (along with a new recruit of diminutive stature) attack a village defended by a band of scrappy locals and a mysterious Inugami fox priest.

As the battle goes on however, the Inugami reveals his true intentions summoning a whole army of yokai, forcing the villagers and bandits to join forces or be swept under the tide of the oncoming supernatural creatures.

The game consisted of two players and myself as GM- each player fought as normal in a fight to the death type scenario until roughly turn 4, when I pulled my surprise and spawned a whole slew of yokai onto the board and took control of the Inugami.  The players instinctively joined together and tried to save their hides, picking off the minor creatures and running away from the larger ones.  Finally a lucky blow against the Tsuchigumo giant spider (the real commander of the yokai forces) caused all of the remaining spirits to vanish into thin air as quickly as they had appeared.

(new models to look for in the bad photos are: the fox priest, a halfling oni, a halfling ashigaru, a tsuchigumo giant spider and a river boat- a resin cast of a wooden master I made)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
I have now read the weirdest sentence ever twice in one day!
 o_o o_o

Love the eye candy.

(new models to look for in the bad photos are: the fox priest, a halfling oni, a halfling ashigaru, a tsuchigumo giant spider and a river boat- a resin cast of a wooden master I made)

Really looking forward to when the camera issues are sorted.
 :D

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (aren't you a little short to be a samurai?)
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
thanks Mason :)

I managed to get a few more acceptable phone snaps when the game was over-

First up is my little boat- probably suitable for 5-6 men in game, but the model can hold 3-4 25mm slotta bases depending on how flat you want them to be.  The model was made from wood veneer strips, then moulded in silicone and cast in resin.  To be completely honest, I'm not sure why I moulded it as I have no use for more than one boat, but I guess I just wanted practice in making a two part mould and I prefer painting resin to wood :)

Next up we have three very old Citadel miniatures- the Inugami is a foxpriest from the Runequest range, circa 1984 I think.  A lovely, graceful sculpt, but a bit crude in a few areas, it was a joy to paint though.  The blue Amanojaku is a solid base Citadel Halfling oni sculpted by Aly Morrison I believe in about 85(?).  For some reason this figure was later reworked and released as a Halfling ashigaru- the horns were removed, an extra pouch was sculpted on the belt and it was converted from solid base to slotta base.  Whatever the reasoning behind these weird niche sculpts, I love them, and if anyone can point me towards the other halfling oni and ashigaru I'd be eternally grateful.  For some reason, I painted all three of these models with sore heels, something I've never done before but it felt right.

Incidentally, in game I treat the amanojaku like a concealed ninja- he starts the game as the diminutive ashigaru, and at any point during the game the controlling player can reveal his true identity as a face-stealing amanojaku.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:27:04 PM by Juxt »