Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28857 times)

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
Re: Yokainoyama (Abe no Seimei?)
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
Awesome!
maybe Rokurota has some of the base miniatures left?  I know I wish I had more than one  ;)
Yes, I have some masters, if you want...

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
I have already painted up two of them, and don't have your skills at converting, but very tempted to get some yokai stuff

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
That guy turned out great, and I just found out about Yokai.com trying to look up some of the critters you posted up.  lol
I think I am going to put The Night Parade of One Hundred Demons: A Field Guide to Japanese Yokai and The Hour of Meeting Evil Spirits: An Encyclopedia of Mononoke and Magic (Yokai) onto my Christmas list.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
That guy turned out great, and I just found out about Yokai.com trying to look up some of the critters you posted up.  lol
I think I am going to put The Night Parade of One Hundred Demons: A Field Guide to Japanese Yokai and The Hour of Meeting Evil Spirits: An Encyclopedia of Mononoke and Magic (Yokai) onto my Christmas list.

Thank you :)
those books are well worth the investment, even though all the info is available online for free it's nice to be able to reward the guy making them with a purchase here and there

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Onmyoji & Wara Ningyo)
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
Recently a mysterious stranger has been seen in the fields and copses surrounding Yokainoyama.  Dressed in the robes of a Shinto Kannushi, but something about his demeanour has lead to the villagers suspecting something more sinister.  Effigies and talismans have been found nailed to cedar trees, areas once fenced off by shide have been opened and a large number of unearthly floating lights have been spotted at night.  After consulting with village elders, the inhabitants are certain that this lone figure is a sorcerer and learned in the ways of Onmydo, the Wara Ningyo straw doll that accompanies him reinforced their belief, he must be an Onmyoji!  Whilst not being a physical threat to the peace of the village, he almost certainly has magical powers, and the voodoo-doll like straw doll will no doubt be put to ill-use

The figure, as you already know is a conversion of the excellent Bac Ninh Miniatures shinsengumi banner bearer- his robes were resculpted as was his hat, his sword was cut down into a tanto, the staff and amulets in his left hand were scratch built with polystyrene and armature wire.  The Wara Ningyo was a first for me, completely sculpted from greenstuff over a wire armature.  Not bad for my first sculpted miniature, I'm glad I picked something easy to start with.

In terms of in game use for Ronin?  I intend to run him as a Rank 4, CP 4, Initiative 4, Fight 1, Shoot 1.  Medium armour, Tanto.  Fearless, Intuition and Tough to represent some of his magic abilities.
The Wara Ningyo is Rank 0, CP 0, Initiative 0, Fight 0, Shoot 0.  He can't be attacked while the Onmyoji is alive, and any model he is in base contact with counts as having a grievous wound to represent the attention of the Onmyoji being focussed on the model.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
That sorcerer fella* has been taken to a lovely finish, both conversion and painting and the little fella is so full of character.
Bravo, sir.
 :-* :-*

*He looks like he either has a cold or overimbibes of the remedy for such, going by the shade of his beak.
 lol ;)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »
That sorcerer fella* has been taken to a lovely finish, both conversion and painting and the little fella is so full of character.
Bravo, sir.

*He looks like he either has a cold or overimbibes of the remedy for such, going by the shade of his beak.
 lol ;)

He's a BIG fan of the local sake, perhaps his knowledge of the occult comes from his imbibing, or perhaps he's just a confused drunk convinced of his own power?  Or maybe I went a little heavy handed with the red glaze  ;)

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Love this thread! That's a cracking little sculpt for your first effort.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
He's a BIG fan of the local sake, perhaps his knowledge of the occult comes from his imbibing, or perhaps he's just a confused drunk convinced of his own power?  Or maybe I went a little heavy handed with the red glaze  ;)

Whichever it is, he looks great.
 :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Love this thread! That's a cracking little sculpt for your first effort.

Totally agree - the texture you've created is impressive.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »
Amazing work!

With your permission I will put it on my blog and twitter account.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
Thanks guy  :-*

Rokurota- by all means, share away, I'm just glad you like what I've done with your figure.  Btw, expect an email later today from me asking for a second banner bearer  ;)

Next in the works is the floating head of a Daitengu, based on the mikoshi from Beppu

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
Thank you mate, I’m waiting your mail. ;)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Daitengu)
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
Thank you mate, I’m waiting your mail. ;)

Email sent :)

It is well known among the inhabitants of Yokainoyama that a powerful yamabushi lives at the summit of the mountain, near the spring that feeds the river so vital to daily life in the village.  A mystical ascetic hermit who is so perfectly in tune with the natural world surrounding him that he can control the weather, rumour has it that he is also a powerful Daitengu.  A demi-god of great wisdom and pride, but also capable of unpredictably malicious acts and almost certainly the cause of each and every natural disaster to befall the mountain.  Whenever the natural order of the forests is altered by human hands, the Daitengu's head drifts from his meditating body to investigate whether his intervention is necessary- an eerily silent floating head with bright red skin, a bushy beard of white feathers (betraying his identity as the leader of all the winged long-nosed tengu) and an enormous, phallic nose which waves back and forth in the wind.  Any on-lookers who see the floating head would be well advised to stay away, though amiable in appearance the slightest insult will send the Daitengu into an unimaginable rage which could well cause the destruction of Yokainoyama.

A really quick build and paint for this guy as I want to use him this weekend.  The head started off as an old Citadel LOTR Treebeard miniature from the mid 1980s, his leafy beard worked great as a feathery beard so needed little altering- just the sculpting of a long nose and a pillbox-cap made from plasticard and wire.  I love finding an often forgotten miniature than can be quickly turned into something else with minimal effort.  The Lantern on the base is I think from an Okko miniature, but I'm not 100% certain of that (any pointers on that would be greatly received as I'd love to find a couple more of these).

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Daitengu)
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Lovely painting and conversion.

I simply love this thread.
As I have no idea at all about the subject, it always surprises me with what you produce.
And I am always delighted with whatever wonderful creation I find.
 :D

Oh, and I will never be able to see Treebeard in quite the same way again!
 :D ;)