Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28860 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Daitengu)
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
I find myself wanting to see more of this too, it's a very original thread. I've even started looking at minis to see what they could be turned into!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »
Lovely conversion and painting. The mood you create (even just two dimensionally) is great!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
Simply a delight - excellent composition and painting.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »
Marvelous.

Offline SaltyWendigo

• Assistant
    • Den of the Wendigo
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2017, 01:45:39 AM »
What you are able to do with different miniature ranges to create each of these is continuously inspiring. Absolutely love the Daitengu!  :o

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »
thanks guys, you're all so supportive here :)

Here's a little WIP shot for you of what I'm working on today- a Rokurokubi.  She started off life as a Perry Miniatures villager with a ponytail that went down to her bum, the head had to go as did the hair and most of her back, so nearly all of her back has been resculpted.  Her head is from a Malifaux Shikome miniature that I originally bought for the clawed feet until I realised how tiny they were.  Neck is a length of styrene rod heated over a candle and bent into shape, hair ornament is a length of harpsichord wire and a tiny piece of plasticard.  New feet and a pair of wooden geta shoes are in the works, and the head/neck join will get some refining before I start to paint her on Thursday :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
Excellent conversion. You could potentially make a Nukekubi using similar methods with the head detaching followed by a 'spirit' trail connecting it to the body. Totally love this thread!

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Excellent conversion. You could potentially make a Nukekubi using similar methods with the head detaching followed by a 'spirit' trail connecting it to the body.

my plan exactly!  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
Lovely conversion work.
I look forward to seeing her/it progress.
 8) 8)

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Nice!

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Rokurokubi)
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
The village normally gets through minimal amounts of lamp oil, lighting the grounds of the local samurai's house and the festivals that happen in the shrine, and being so overrun with yokai, the residents rarely set foot outside after dark so there is little call for lanterns.  Recently however, when the merchant was taking stock in his kura, he noticed a lot less oil than he should have, he definitely hadn't been selling any more than usual, and his records showed a completely different amount to what he had on hand.  The only explanation was a thief!  But with only one tiny window high up the wall and him being the only person with a key, a human burglar couldn't possibly have got in.
Suspecting that this could be the work of the trickster tanukis that were known to live in the forests, the merchant decided to camp out overnight and watch the kura to see what was happening.  By the hour of the pig all natural light had faded from the hillside and he saw nothing.  By the hour of the rat he was bitterly cold, but still saw nothing.  As the hour of the ox approached he could barely keep his eyes open, and just as he was nodding off a faint light in the distance caught his attention.  The glow drew nearer and nearer to the storehouse, until the merchant could make out the figure of a beautiful lady, almost certainly a prostitute from the city further down the hill.  The woman stood at the foundation of the building and tilted her head backwards, looking high up at the miniature window set into the thick stone walls.  As she stared intently, her neck stretched out long and thin like a serpent until it reached five jo in length and her head worked its way through the open window and right into the barrel of oil.  Amazed at what he witnessed, the merchant slipped and fell backwards into a pile of leaves, the crumpling noise disturbing the creature who bolted back into the woods faster than a normal woman could run, with her neck retracting back like a snapping turtle's as she ran, and a slick of oil dribbling from her mouth and down her chin onto the floor.
At the break of dawn the merchant gathered a group of the villagers together by the storehouse and set off to follow the trail of oil left by the fleeing Rokurokubi...

I'm pretty happy with the finished miniature, not being a fan of painting skin or fabrics this was a bit of a tough one for me, but it turned out pretty well- I wish I had resculpted the hands on the miniature though, they really are a bit clunky and ugly and one of the places where the Perrys' models often fail in my eyes.  It's nice to get such a classic of Japanese folklore finished though, and I've got another classic coming up next ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
I think that's f'ing brilliant! It's a well conceived, well painted little masterpiece.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
I think that's f'ing brilliant! It's a well conceived, well painted little masterpiece.

Wot he said!
 :-* :-*

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »
That is pretty badass!  :o
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
 :-* That looks great, the face is just amazing, great conversion too