Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Landships - Photo Collection  (Read 5565 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
My Landships - Photo Collection
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:35 AM »
Well, most of them anyway.

Several years ago, I ran a "Trafalgar of the Landships" at Historicon (Historican 2003, actually) after being strongly influenced by the Major General's wargaming site. For the project, I built several Landships and crews, and added a few more over the years.

Since there have been some Landship threads here, I thought I'd share what I have available to photograph. Amazingly, they all kept very well until our move to California, when the movers were -literally- throwing boxes out of the truck, at which point a great deal of damage was done. Some of the items, like my Napoleonic Warships, were almost totally destroyed. The Landships were pretty badly battered, however, and most survived.

I have not finished the "re-fit" and re-tooling of all of these, but I wanted to share them now that I've got my camera working again.
Most of these are scratch-built or heavily converted from toys; the only complete kit is the large green German landship, from the "Queen Victoria's Secret Weapons Line" carried sporadically by Redoubt.

I'll post these in a series of posts in order to save you from dreadful loading time. Comments welcome. It's my goal to do another big landship game, perhaps in my newly acquired Aztec ruins, within the next year. Hope to add some of the great stuff from Ironclad miniatures to the mix.

#1 - Barbarossa class Landship "Friedrich der Gross", also known as "Der Kettle-Wasser", or "Oliphant"

This was converted from a "Wild Wild West" toy, with bits from Reverisco ship fittings, pieces of Lemax Christmas terrain, etc. It is still one of my favorite Landships, and in my long history of VSF gaming has been the most successful.

#2 - Bismarck class Landship, "Otto von Bismarck". This was built from a Redoubt kit. At the time, I was not happy with the kit- the resin was very poorly cast, and it required a great deal of re-shaping, rebuilding, etc. I understand the quality of the casts from the range have improved -somewhat-, but I'm dubious. This particular vessel should also have a picture of Kaiser Frederic Wilhelm (our games took place in the 1880s) in the interior, but that image disappeared in the move. Unfortunately, this ship has yet to see active service. I hope to remedy that soon.

Side View:

Front View:

Interior View:

More images in the next post.

-Doc

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
My Landships - Photo Collection - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:57 AM »
Nelson class Landship "Horatio"

This was completely scratchbuilt. The hull is a former planter. Fittings are scratchbuilt, and acquired from various bits bins, Lyzards Grin, and Reverisco fittings. She has seen better days, but I am very proud of how she turned out. (That particular piece is a Houston's Ships Fitting). I had another British Landship, destroyed in the move, and a small patrol ship, from the "Great Railwars" range, which I've never been particularly fond of (looked too modern and panzer like to me).

Side view:

Bow view showing gunnery positions:

Aft View showing aft gunnery port:

One of my favorites. The Spanish Asturias class Landship, "Principe de Asturias". Almost entirely scratchbuilt here, with a couple metal fittings and some plasticard. Hull is once again another planter. Tracks were taken from an old toy.

Side view:

Bow view, with a view of the 11" turret:

Another view, showing her dual turrets. The turret in the rear mounts a "donut canister" Gatling:

More to come.

-Doc

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
My Landships - Photo Collection, Part 3
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:32:03 AM »
This page begins with the French Charlemagne class Landship "Aix La Chapelle". Her tracks were completely destroyed during the move, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the caisson covered them, anyway. Again, built using various bits and bobs, and a planter as the main hull. Weapons are a combination of Great Rail Wars, Reverisco, and plastic tubing.

Side view:

Front view showing her famous bow mounted gatling, "Le'Empereur". On her first outing, she destroyed a small British landship with one critical hit, and the gun became rather famous in our group.

The American Landship-Monitor, "Turtle". Entirely scratchbuilt. She's very simple, but I like her. This was the first landship I built, done before I hit on my current method for doing rivets, so the rivets you see are all very tiny picture nails, hammered in by hand.

-Doc
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:33:47 AM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
My Landships - Photo Collection, Part 3
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:50:40 AM »
The Confederate states "Florida Class" Landship, "Jeff Davis". This is a converted Mage Knight toy. She's covered in rebel graffiti (so yes, my writing is intentionally sloppy, in this case), provided by her Floridian crew. She has had a very uneven service record so far, but I think she painted up rather well, all and all.

Side View:

Close up of her main armament. "Hello, Mr. Lincoln". Not quite as nifty as "The Final Argument of Kings", but it works. (For the record, I'm a dyed in the wool Union boy, so don't read any politics into this, bub!)

A tiny, primitive Landship used by the Moon Men.

And, finally, the work of none other than the INSIDIOUS DR. CRUM! Converted from an old toy. Badly damaged in the move. Still looks pretty good, in my opinion, despite that.

Side View:

Front View:

Hope you've enjoyed these.

-Doc

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
Re: My Landships - Photo Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
Yes,
I have enjoyed these.  They are really very nice.  The anmes are especialy clever, especilly Fredric der Grosse.

Where in California are you? North or South?  Sacramento (North) has an active VSF group.

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
Nice work Dr Twilight  :)

Leadfool - love that Franklin quote!   lol
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
Wow thats quite a collection. Very nice :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Yes there are some lovely models there!

Sorry to be a grump, but is there any chance you could reduce the size of the pics, as my poor old monitor can't cope with such large ones  :(

I'd like to see some more pics of them alongside some infantry to get a better idea of their sizes.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
You've been a busy boy Doc!
Don't!