Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best Vallejo colours for RCW Russian uniforms?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Best Vallejo colours for RCW Russian uniforms?
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
I appreciate there would be an awful lot of variance in colours due to age/wear and different manufacturers, but would welcome some tips on what others have found to be the best choices from the Vallejo range please for painting Reds and Whites.

Specifically, is English Uniform (921) a good general colour to use as standard (i.e. to lighten or darken for variation) or should I be looking at starting with something lighter in the tan or khaki shades?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Best Vallejo colours for RCW Russian uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »
The aptly named Russian Uniform is a good start. For tunics anything from Stone Grey (actually a warmish light colour) via buff, khaki, German Beige, Iraqi Sand, through to Green Brown, which is a lighter khaki than English uniform. No reason not to use a bit of EU here and there.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:13:34 AM »
Take a look at the Panzer aces range. There are a lot of the "highlight" colours that are great for lightening darker shades. French tanker and French tank crew highlight; US Tank crew and US tank crew highlight are very good. Japanese highlight is good as well.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
The aptly named Russian Uniform is a good start. For tunics anything from Stone Grey (actually a warmish light colour) via buff, khaki, German Beige, Iraqi Sand, through to Green Brown, which is a lighter khaki than English uniform.

Aha!  I assumed Russian Uniform was for the Second World War  o_o

The colours you suggest are all quite a bit lighter than English Uniform, so it sounds as though I was some way off the mark. Thanks for putting me right.   

Take a look at the Panzer aces range. There are a lot of the "highlight" colours that are great for lightening darker shades. French tanker and French tank crew highlight; US Tank crew and US tank crew highlight are very good. Japanese highlight is good as well.

I have a few of those already; thanks for the tip.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
Nah VJ Khaki - Grey is for WW2  :o
Russian Uniform is for British webbing  lol

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
Mr TT - I prefer Russian Uniform for British tanks and use Iraqi Sand for British webbing!  I am still hoping someone will tell me English Uniform is good for RCW era Red and White uniforms but so far no one has  :'(

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
Mr TT - I prefer Russian Uniform for British tanks and use Iraqi Sand for British webbing!  I am still hoping someone will tell me English Uniform is good for RCW era Red and White uniforms but so far no one has  :'(

It's excellent. Particularly since I have reasonably large numbers of my men in English uniforms.

I also mixed it with a bit of a beige colour for Russians. (I basically never use colours straight out of the pot anyway.)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
It's excellent. Particularly since I have reasonably large numbers of my men in English uniforms.

Thanks Mark :D

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 03:30:09 AM »
It is if you use it as a base and lighten it with Scale75 Iroko (a nice tan shade). ;)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 03:33:03 AM »

Sir Rodders I agree except I like VJ Grey Green highlighted for my Brit Paras webbing as I thought the Iraqi Sand did not contrast enough with my Densions pattern 1 which is the more yellow look.
Am about to paint so Commandos so English uniform to the fore and maybe Iraqi sand webbing or a bit of both even?
As for RCW I reckon any shade of murky green/brown will do for most Russian units

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
I actually use VMC Flat Earth as a base then mix in various other shades for lots of variety.  Or, just use Tan Earth and VGC Khaki as the mid tone and highlight for a very serviceable khaki / Russian uniform.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
Found this on Facebook (?) I believe.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
Thanks to all for some really great tips.  And as for the graphic sepoy1857 posted, what can I say?  It looks like the entire Vallejo colour range apart from the reds, blues and yellows, and I am sure I spotted an English Uniform equivalent in there too  :D

And there I was worrying about how to tell Reds and Whites apart if they are all wearing uniforms with only relatively minor variations of the same basic shades.