Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Free plastic ECW minis  (Read 6468 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Free plastic ECW minis
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
I've just seen a copy of the new (April) issue of Wargames Illustrated, and it comes with a free Warlord Games plastic ECW mini. I assume this is to coincide with the launch of the new range at Salute. The mini looked pretty good. All the copies in the newsagent had musketeers, so I assume that's the same everywhere. The mini is one of these guys, but on his own sprue:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8342.45

It comes with a choice of two set of arms, and a couple of different hats.

Definitely worth picking up!

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Re: Free plastic ECW minis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:19 PM »
Nipped out to get it today after seeing this post and ended up picking up 3 wargames magazines... the free mini is quite lovely, despite not gaming the period...

Was all excited at seeing next month's free gift is 17 WWII Us troops, until I got home and googled Valiant Miniatures to find that they're 1/72... Ah well, free Perry minis the month after!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
*waits expectantly by letter box for magazine*
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Aeneas

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
After the Valiant miniatures next month they announced a pair of Perry Napoleonic British Riflemen.

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
just thought i would post some pics.
(my front side pic is very blury, but i can assure you the detail is astounding for plastic)

SCALE SHOT

i had to prop him up but i think you get the idea.

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
Yeah, jsut got mine today. I haven't bought WI for ages, but I was pleasantly surprised - it always used to be 1 or 2 articles that interested me and 10 that didn't. This time it was the other way round  :)

Thought the picture quality was higher too than it has been of late.

Oh, and there's an interesting opinion piece in there too, which I like.

If this is the shape of things to come from the new owners, I'd say it bodes well, and I'll start buying it again...

Anyway, back on topic, I've jsut glued the figure together. Arms didn't fit that well without a bit of shaving, but nothing major. Will be interesting to see how he paints up. I take the point that the level of detail is good for plastic.. all in can say is it's not very good compared to metal. Still, you pays yer money and takes yer choice...

The only thing I really dislike is the attempt at a montero cap, which looks totally wrong. More like a Captain Scarlet cap.

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
I bought a copy of WI and got one of those, the only problem was that at the newsagent there was 8 mags and looking at the samples of each and every one, the base of each figure was either snapped off or bend flat, I had to select the least worst effected.

Ok, cant complain as they are free, but pity about the packing. :?

I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Got mine today. A very nice figure!

The next free figures and particularly the Perry's one sounds very promising!
argsilverson

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
The only thing I really dislike is the attempt at a montero cap, which looks totally wrong. More like a Captain Scarlet cap.

Well spotted! I have to agree. The floppy hat looks much better

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »

Well spotted! I have to agree. The floppy hat looks much better

Damn, I know what conversion that bit's going to have to go towards now... It was hard enough justifying using him in zombie survival (erm... a lone re-enactor), now I'm going to have to have a lone Captain Scarlet fan...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:55 PM »
Just painting mine now... The first plastic figure I've painted in 20 years! And it's weird. The lack of surface detail... brrr. Not sure I like it... We shall see...  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
Thought the picture quality was higher too than it has been of late.

I understand that the old camera got broken a couple of months ago, and Dan hasn't entirely got used to the new one.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:09:58 PM »
I bought a copy of WI and got one of those, the only problem was that at the newsagent there was 8 mags and looking at the samples of each and every one, the base of each figure was either snapped off or bend flat, I had to select the least worst effected.

Ok, cant complain as they are free, but pity about the packing. :?

Got ours at the weekend, luckily we had a reserved copy - someone had nicked every figure from the magazines in Scarborough.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
Picked mine up yesterday, not too bad, but I agree with the Cap'n there is a definite shortage of surface detail.

What confused me most was the article in WI describing how to paint it. It clearly states that there are six options from the sprue. Now I know I only do maths at a preschool marmot level, but bareheaded, cap, slouch hat and a choice of two weapons is only five isn't it?  ???

I must say, the pic in the advert of the whole sprue looks good though. And I'm not even into the period.

Edited for not being awake properly yet.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:12:16 AM by JollyBob »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »

It clearly states that there are six options from the sprue. Now I know I only do maths at a preschool marmot level, but bareheaded, cap, slouch hat and a choice of two weapons is only five isn't it?  ???

Erm, two arm weapon choices x three head options equals six variants JB.  ::)

But it confused me too because of the overexcited overclaim: 'there are six variants even with this one figure!'
It took me a while to work out that two of these variants involved simply not giving the figure a hat at all, and leaving his (distinctly pointy) head bare. Which I think is a bit of a cheap shot.

Anyway... Mustn't grumble  ;)