Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ironclad - A Medieval PLog  (Read 64885 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Ironclad - A Medieval PLog
« Reply #360 on: January 04, 2020, 07:04:52 AM »
Well done! Neat painting, shades and highlight!
It'll be great one day to see them in battle! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #361 on: February 17, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
I have neglected the Ironclad project a bit. I still feel most of the miniatures out there are not great. I tried to pull myself a bit out of the slumb by building some miniatures to mix into my units or eventually finish. I decided I'd slowly start adding to the armies until something conclusive would come out. Expect some more miniatures here a bit more often. I have been thinking of trying the v&v crusaders. Those seem like good choices.

For now I have build 6 more miniatures for the red side i've already made a bunch for.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #362 on: February 17, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Coming out nicely!
It is always a joy to see you coming back to this epic thread!
Cheers!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #363 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
Nice builds. Looking good  8)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #364 on: February 17, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
Those Victrix-based fellas in particular look really good.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #365 on: February 17, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »
thank you guys, and i agree Ogrob. The victrix adds a nice amount of details to it all....even though i have a hard time coming to grips with the weird and overapplied wrinkles in the clothes.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
Really good use of the Victrix models there. Hadn't thought at all about the possibilities of converting them into a slightly later medieval period.

May I ask what you meant by "most of the miniatures out there are not great"? It would seem to me that this entire thread is evidence that with a little work and some (admittedly pretty big!) talent you can turn almost anything into A-grade material. I'm just curious as I've seen different people (usually in the more historically focussed groups) express similar sentiments. I'm curious if it's specifically about the historical accuracy of existing model ranges or something else. At any rate, I was hugely inspired by your thread in my own Black Order project, so you must be doing something right :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2020, 06:55:52 PM »
Thank you Knight-Captain Tyr. It is often a lot of work. I think I would prefer just a bunch of finished miniatures that are up to a good standard. No weird hunched characters or lack of a neck. strange poses or out of proportioned miniatures. No vague details or something like that. I might be spoiled by looking at GW things. But I think claymore has proven that anyone can come up with miniatures that are top notch and full of character. The perry's argueably too but I don't like all of their ranges even though I bought a whole bunch of them either way. I think victrix also showed that you can add a ton of detail to miniatures of these times by showing some of what is below the chainmail or defining the belts a bit better. I think I can rant about this forever so i'll save you guys. But as much as I enjoy having a whole bunch of unique miniatures I'd rather have a solid plastic kit for all this that doesnt require more work than just that.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2020, 06:47:12 PM »
Hey there,

Small update today. I painted some of the converted miniatures. I didn't do all of them yet because I'm a little sick. Not really a little and painting with a runny nose is practically impossible. No worries though, I will get better in time. In the meantime these guys get to mix themselves freely into existing units, which I am pretty happy about!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
Looks fantastic! The victrix body looks much better than  the two fireforge bodies. I wish Victrix would do an early / mid 13th century or an early HYW range!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
Excellent! Makes me want to make a few Victrix-bashes myself. Flag looks great too.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #371 on: March 03, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Very nice brushwork  8) 8) 8)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #372 on: March 04, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »
thank you very much!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #373 on: March 04, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
Very nice. I do love the way you do your dinked shields. Looks like the side of my wife’s car  ;)

Is that just cunning paintwork, or do you actually bash them about before painting?  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
They look great. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing